Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

2010 Grayhawk FK Microwave

Just as we made it home from our last trip, our microwave fell... came loose from the wall. I spoke to someone at Jayco who confirmed that the microwave is held to the wall only by 2 bolts through the back into the wall mounting plate. There are no screws or anything at all holding the microwave to the mount other than these 2 bolts. We can discuss what a poor design this is later... my question is this... Can I drill a hole into the top of the microwave (or two) through the cabinet above and secure the microwave in place that way? Has anyone else run into this?

I have a couple of pictures of mine as it is hanging, two pictures that show the long flat tip bolt, and the last is of the middle top of the microwave behind the grill. How do I include them in this post? I might have figured it out... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
RV_Microwave1.jpg   RV_Microwave2.jpg   RV_Microwave3.jpg   RV_Microwave4.jpg  

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington
MyBrokenJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

Hey Randy, looks exactly like the microwave in my '05 Granite Ridge. Mine
hasn't fallen yet, but is about 2" lower on the front, so is only a matter of time

Will be watching this thread closely to see any recommendations on how to fix this
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #3

Yea, Tom... not a fun position to be in... hopefully yours will not fall like ours did.

The question is this... Can I just drill say 3 or 4 holes into the top of the microwave case through the cabinet above and use big washers, while also adding a little beef to the bottom side, inside the hidden space, of the cabinet above to secure it in place? Or will drilling the holes in the shell of the microwave make the microwave inoperable?

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #4

Anyone have any ideas?