Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #21

OK. I see Bill Johnson also has a 24v unit. Apparently, the mfgrs are seeing an increase in 24vdc systems in RV's, and are responding in kind.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
OK. I see Bill Johnson also has a 24v unit. Apparently, the mfgrs are seeing an increase in 24vdc systems in RV's, and are responding in kind.

Roger
LOL that's hilarious. All of the ResMed Airsense units are 24V, and have been since, forever.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
All of the ResMed Airsense units are 24V, and have been since, forever.

24V DC.

That's what I was able to dig up too. I'm not an EE by any stretch but clearly there are advantages to pumping a higher DC voltage into the units. I'd guess the water heater and pump are big draws.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh125 View Post
8. Anyone having tried successfully another method of having their cpap with them, please let me know. I looked at battery backups but they seem to be 12-14 hours max before needing recharge and run $350-450. I looked at some solar setups having that had a storage system but these seemed high and maybe unavailable. What brand and specs should I be looking for if someone has gone this route.
What CPAP do you have? Mine has an optional 12V power cord. Picked it up on Amazon for about $30. I installed a few 12V AUX outlets around the TT. I have two at the bed.

Most 12V fuse boxes on Class C MH's are under the bed. Look to see if any of the fuses are not being used. On my TT, every slot had a fuse, but there was a few that were not used. I routed a wire from one of them to the bed. Then grounded to the frame. Under the bed, you should have a grounding strip. In your case, it might be really easy to run 6' wire. Way easier and more energy efficient than adding an inverter and outlet. Way cheaper than adding a Jackery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #25

OK, guys. Learned something new. I have only had Phillips dreamstations, and those are 12vdc. Something to think about in the future.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #26

Quote:
I am wanting to install an outlet near my rear bedroom powered through an inverter in order to run my bipap (cpap) machine when dry camping. Power requirements per machine book says typical power consumption is 53W (57 VA). I think you multiply this by number of hours to be used ie. 8 hours. So 53x8=424W needed. So I probably would do well to have at least a 1000W capable Inverter.
Questions:
1. Do my calculations appear correct based on typical power consumption figure.
2. Is 1000W capable Inverter a proper amount.
3. Where should an Inverter be positioned. I am thinking under the bed but maybe closer to batteries is better.
4. What Inverter should I get suggestions.
5. What should I expect to pay for Inverter and installation.
6. How long could I draw power from my 6 battery setup operating just the cpap machine.
7. The RV came with an inverter, type unknown, that powers the TV only I believe. Is this stock inverter capable of meeting my power needs, if you know, and would it be feasible to reroute it back to bed outlet or have a switch to change it back to bedroom at will. We were on the road 6 months in 2019 and never once had the TV on. I cannot check it out because my RV is 4000 miles from me.
8. Anyone having tried successfully another method of having their cpap with them, please let me know. I looked at battery backups but they seem to be 12-14 hours max before needing recharge and run $350-450. I looked at some solar setups having that had a storage system but these seemed high and maybe unavailable. What brand and specs should I be looking for if someone has gone this route.
Ours only powered the front tv also, so we ran and extra heavy duty extension cord under the tub, then up the back wall into the back cabinet so I could power the back tv and items in the bedroom with the inverter. You think Jayco would have put more than one plug powered by inverter. Guess the designers have never used a motorhome. Hehehe. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #27

I'm (as in my wife) on our 3rd Resmed. The first one is at the bottom of a lake from an overturned canoe, the second died of old age or overuse on mediocre batteries, and the 3rd is still trucking. All 24volt. I purchased a 12 to 24v adapter from Resmed as the new unit would not work on 12v. A bit pricey though but I wanted zero issues with a very expensive CPAP.

FWIW it takes 2 nights on usual CPAP modes to kill a 220ah truck battery. (Guess how I know!)

I really appreciate Mr. Johnson's comments on how to make everything last a lot longer. I'll salute you with a good Scotch when boondocking this September after a nice quite night's sleep.
Cheers Ted
TedsCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedsCanoe View Post
I'm (as in my wife) on our 3rd Resmed. The first one is at the bottom of a lake from an overturned canoe, the second died of old age or overuse on mediocre batteries, and the 3rd is still trucking. All 24volt. I purchased a 12 to 24v adapter from Resmed as the new unit would not work on 12v. A bit pricey though but I wanted zero issues with a very expensive CPAP.

FWIW it takes 2 nights on usual CPAP modes to kill a 220ah truck battery. (Guess how I know!)

I really appreciate Mr. Johnson's comments on how to make everything last a lot longer. I'll salute you with a good Scotch when boondocking this September after a nice quite night's sleep.
Cheers Ted
Glad it will work for you, Balvenie scotch isn't bad, have a great time
Old 08-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #29

I've been using one of these for 7+ years, plugged into my fifth wheel 12 plug.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...iABEgK2uvD_BwE

It has outlasted the last cpap by 2+ years.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #30

I can run my cpap for two nights off a Medistrom Pilot-12 Plus battery.

That's without the humidifier and I have to remember to switch off the battery as soon as I take it off.

Then I plug it into my TV for a few hours and it's fully charged.

Admittedly it's a bit noisier without the humidifier, but it keeps me breathing!
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
good Scotch

No
such
thing!

Old 08-07-2022, 09:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:4606e14f-ba1a-3cd5-8f76-9c3dc0cc668b[/URL]
That is the same document I used in designing our Boondocking CPAP on our rig... there more consideration when running two CPAP's for 10hours a night.
Quote:
Wow, that link has about everything you need to know. Thanks so much. If possible I will change the title of my thread to reflect that other info like yours can be found here in discussions.
That document works for the Resmed family of units... and USING their 12v to 24v Resmed power converter... If you decide to use a 24v battery solution, you can remove the power factor that the converter uses in your battery calculation.

For us, We may be 2 or 3 nights of sleep before we get our CPAP batteries fully charged. We sized this so that we could have an extra 40% reserve capacity in our CPAP power. There is nothing worse than running out of power on your CPAP in the middle of the night... or with dead House Batteries in your RV after waking up in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
24V DC.

That's what I was able to dig up too. I'm not an EE by any stretch but clearly there are advantages to pumping a higher DC voltage into the units. I'd guess the water heater and pump are big draws.
And there are additional advantages in eliminating the DC-12v to DC-24 converter. Cost of the Converter ignored, you still need the Ah of capacity with the reserve power to insure a good nights sleep with confidence!.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:29 PM   #33

Quote:
You are correct!.. The numbers and setup we built for our boondocking are based on turning the Humidity heater OFF and the Tube Heater OFF.

Since we run two Resmed 10's for 10hrs a night (yes we like to sleep in!!) that requires more reserve battery power than what Resmed states in that document. Since we removed the power loss of the 12v-to-24v converter, we keep that power for our runtime, not for adapters to make it work. (We also eliminate two points of failure)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Hi Roger. Yeah, the spec sheet for the power brick says output is 24 volts, 3.75A. It is printed in the Spec Sheet I attached above.
Resmed does indeed make available 24v power packs for the AirSense 10, I have two of them.
ResMed Power Station II (RPS II)
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-a...ttery-options/

they also make cigarette adapters as well as 12v battery adapters.

Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpap, grayhawk, inverter, jackery, resmed