Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

2011 Greyhawk FS electrical

OK i've had this RV for a year now and bought it new. We love it but i've brrn having isues with electrical that may be Jayco or may be Ford. it started by having all the chassis stuff that should be energized with IGN on powered all the time, steps, TV, etc. Which means that the TV and steps would not work properly as the "thought" that the engine was running. Then it changed all by itself to blowing a couple of 40amp fuses in the Ford fuse box labeled "chassis" this would cause a lot of stuff to go bad. i am having a Jayco shop look ay it now and i have a lot of confidence in them. i am an aircraft mechanic by trade and specialize in electrical systems. But this is somewhat frustrating as i take around 20minues of driving before the fuse blows. there is no unusual load (amps) on the system. other than that we love our RV! However it is disappointing to me that i can not get any decent prints of the electrical system.
thanks
john
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd1985 View Post
OK i've had this RV for a year now and bought it new. We love it but i've brrn having isues with electrical that may be Jayco or may be Ford. it started by having all the chassis stuff that should be energized with IGN on powered all the time, steps, TV, etc. Which means that the TV and steps would not work properly as the "thought" that the engine was running. Then it changed all by itself to blowing a couple of 40amp fuses in the Ford fuse box labeled "chassis" this would cause a lot of stuff to go bad. i am having a Jayco shop look ay it now and i have a lot of confidence in them. i am an aircraft mechanic by trade and specialize in electrical systems. But this is somewhat frustrating as i take around 20minues of driving before the fuse blows. there is no unusual load (amps) on the system. other than that we love our RV! However it is disappointing to me that i can not get any decent prints of the electrical system.
thanks
john

Can you explain in a little more detail what is happening? I have to admit to being confused by the question....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Two things... if you are still under warranty, let the dealer fix it and document it well so that if your warranty period runs out, you can still get Jayco to stand behind you. The other thing you might do (if you haven't already) is to email Jayco at service@jayco.com and request a set of electrical prints for your unit. I know they send them for the TT's so if they're available for your MH, I don't see why they wouldn't send them too.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Finally got it fixed. the reason that my original post was so confusing is that there were so many issues involving so many systems. Long story short, the dealer found 2 places where a chassis wire harnes was being crushed under the coach. this caused a couple of different issues depending on what wires happenned to be grinding together at the time. sometimes a hot lead would rub into a circuit that should only be powered with ignition on. that would cause my steps to retract, TV outlet not to work, etc. Sometimes it would rub against a ground which would of course blow a 50amp fuse.
Of course when you park the rig, replace the fuse, everything worked. it had to be moving for the failure to occur.
i have to tip my hat off to the Jayco dealer here in Auburn for their perserverence and troubleshooting skills. i also had them install the HWH leveling kit and they did a very neat job on that as well.
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote