Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

2012 - 2015 Seneca 15000 BTU AC/ Heat pump

Can any members here owning a 2012 to 2015 Seneca able to tell me who the makers of the 15000 BTU Air condition/ Heat pump ????. Could it be by Dometic, Penguin, Colemen or a no name ???. What about the efficiency of the cooling or heating of the Seneca. Has there been many issues or problems like leaks or noise inside or outside ???.

Thank You to all the members replying in advance.
The Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

Should be Coleman since that is what JAYCO has traditionally used in all RV lines. That is what was on the original SENECA's (KODIAK chassis).
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Our 2015 Seneca says Coleman's Mack on the AC/HP units. They are fairly quiet as roof units go.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

Were in the Houston area at the moment and the efficiency seems pretty good on them. Able to keep the coach plenty cool in 90 deg weather.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Were in the Houston area at the moment and the efficiency seems pretty good on them. Able to keep the coach plenty cool in 90 deg weather.
Thanks Grandpa, I know the earlier Entegra's were using Dometic and switched to Coleman's I believe around 2014 and they where much quieter. So I hope they will continue into 2016 model year when we order ours.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Should be Coleman since that is what JAYCO has traditionally used in all RV lines. That is what was on the original SENECA's (KODIAK chassis).
Thanks Grumpy, from Grandpa's reply they are still continuing to use Coleman's. Now I just have to find out the model number to do a bit more research on the reliability on the units.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

My 2014 has Coleman's and they are quiet and work well.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard66 View Post
My 2014 has Coleman's and they are quiet and work well.
Thanks richard66, great to hear from another experienced user. The ( 2 ) Coleman’s on the AC side sounds like it’s efficient for cooling as well as the quietness on the Seneca which makes me happy. Has anyone used the heat pump side of the unit for heating???.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

We used the heat pumps last fall and again in the spring. They worked great down to the high 30's and allowed us to save the propane for water heating and cooking.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
We used the heat pumps last fall and again in the spring. They worked great down to the high 30's and allowed us to save the propane for water heating and cooking.
Thanks for the reply anav8or, we live in Atlantic Canada so there will be times we will be in the colder months before heading south to the warmer climates for the winter. I wanted to conserve on propane as well and only used it for cooking and for the tankless water heater. We are looking at ordering a 2016 Seneca HJ which also has a electric fireplace so while on shore power we should be fine keeping warm.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

Heat pump & AC

Viperfac here. We have had 6 trips with ours (2015 FS)and it snowed over Thanksgiving in Smokies (28F). After I nitial furnace usage, then heat pump kept it at comfortable temp. We did use an internal Ceramic heater unit (b/c electricity is free, sort of). A/C units work great and quiet also. We love our coach despite a few minor break-in issues.
Viperfac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfac View Post
Viperfac here. We have had 6 trips with ours (2015 FS)and it snowed over Thanksgiving in Smokies (28F). After I nitial furnace usage, then heat pump kept it at comfortable temp. We did use an internal Ceramic heater unit (b/c electricity is free, sort of). A/C units work great and quiet also. We love our coach despite a few minor break-in issues.
Thanks Viperfac, glad to hear from another happy owner. We will be full timing with ours so it’s nice to hear from owners and their experiences with the Seneca’s good or bad. I’m happy the Coleman AC/ heat pump is fairly quiet when comparing to other units. I was reading up on the Dimplex electric fireplace they install on the Seneca HJ and it puts out 400 BTU’s so that will help with heating when it’s cooler and to help save on propane when on shore power. I’m just waiting to hear what changes will be on the 2016’s. I know every unit has issues that needs to be addressed with a punch list weather the selling deal takes care of it or Jayco at the factory, thank goodness for 2 year warranty.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

We can't get our heat pump to actually pump in warm air. Does ambient air temperature have anything to do with it? We are powerless in Spokane (since last tuesday) have a 2016 Greyhawk but when we use electric heat (heat pump) it just feels like a/c.

We are powerless in Spokane Wa., now since tuesday. I would like to run the heat pump in the 2016 Greyhawk. Nothing but cold air comes through the vents. I am thinking maybe needs a service call. It is really cold out 17 degrees, but we would sure like to use the heat pump. Any ideas?
mikelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelyne View Post
We can't get our heat pump to actually pump in warm air. Does ambient air temperature have anything to do with it? We are powerless in Spokane (since last tuesday) have a 2016 Greyhawk but when we use electric heat (heat pump) it just feels like a/c.
What is your ambient outside temps? I hear they are not very efficient at temps below mid 30's.

on edit: I see that it is 17 outside. I would crank that baby up and go somewhere warmer or with power.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #15

RV heat pumps only function down to about 35 anything below that the compressor will not run since they do not have a defrost cycle as do residential units. The condensor coils will start to frost up at that temp or slightly above that.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

We are currently in Oklahoma City and using the heat pumps most the time for heating. Seems to be working fine. As for "quiet", that's a relative statement. ;-)
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote