Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

2012 Greyhawk 31 DS Problems

Hey all just want to share a few problems I'm having with my 2012 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS and see if anyone else has had the same problems.

(1) The fresh water tank has been gouged and the bottom fresh water sensor continues to be dislodged or pulled out by the Helliwig overload springs that Jayco installs from the factory. I have had to replace the bottom sensor at least 7 times and the bad part is that it is the bottom sensor so when it gets pulled out I loose ALL the water in the tank. I am having the dealership replace the tank and the tank heater pad but, (they cut off the top of the u-bolt last visit so it won't gouge tank again) don't know if they will be able to relocate the sensor so it doesn't keep coming in contact with the overload spring.

(2) While driving the motorhome with the generator running, air conditioner on (hot weather 100 deg +), refrigerator on propane, the propane tank seems to release pressure creating a tremendous sound with an overwhelming smell of propane which last for approx. 45 seconds. This happened twice last summer while on the road so, the dealership replaced the pressure relief valve on the tank. We had it happen again yesterday while driving down the road so apparently there is something else going on other than a faulty pressure relief valve. This only happens when the generator is running driving down the road so, I don't know if the combined heat of the engine, generator and asphalt heat is causing this to happen? I'm obviously afraid that this is going to explode driving down the road.

I am going to call Jayco in the morning and see what they plan to do to permanently fix these problems. Has anyone else had similar issues with their Greyhawks if so how were they resolved. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
ozzypd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

Call and speak to Vinh Le in the motorized warranty department. #2 scares me, as this could be a cause for a fire. Is the propane tank located on next to the genset on your RV? If it is located behind the genset, It may be seeing 150-180+ degree temps with all the factors on it with the road heat etc. Understanding you may have a good RV service department, I would still go have the propane tank checked out by a good propane equipment company.

You may have to install some additional heat shielding. My tank does not have any shielding, but is located on the opposite side across from the Genset.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

I never have the propane on when traveling down the road. The refer stays cold for 8 hours but you have to have it cooled down the night before you start your trip. Being that it is only my wife and myself we put a curtain between the cab and the back space and use only the AC from cab. Why do I do this? First I have background in the propane industry and know how dangerous it when not used correctly. Next please go to utube and type in something like RV fire and you will see lots of RVs going up in flames. You cannot have a fire like that if the valve is in the closed position. That is unless the tank is leaking, which is unlikely it you have the propane system inspected each year.
Jim
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

We have a 2012 31DS and have not experienced the problems that you have although we have not run the coach AC while driving. We have had the propane on for the fridge without any issue.

After reading many posts about getting dealer work done (not only Jayco) we decided to drive out to Middlebury to get our warranty work taken care of. Our dealer is three hours away from our home and I thought I would lose at least two days bringing the motorhome back and forth and hopefully they would take care of everything in a timely manner. So we made an appointment in Middlebury, brought it out a couple of weeks ago and all I can say was that they were absolutely terrific. They know what they are doing, we were able to stay a couple of nights at the factory and we were back on our way two days later with all the work done.

BTW--the genset is on the driver's front side of the coach and the propane tank is on the passenger front side.

Jim
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

If you are using the Generator to run the AC, can't you have it also power the Refer and not go down the dangerous and highly debated path of using propane OTR?
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Being that they are on opposite sides of the coach this is perplexing. I dont think radiant heatfrom the genset is the culprit. Could it be hot pavement combined with catalytic converter radiant heat?
But still wondering if tank has a problematic relief valve.

I dont see this as an issue of running the fridge on LP while traveling. I see your issue being something with the tank itself. If the valve is off and the tank is heating to relief pressure, whether you run the fridge or not doesnt effect the tank problem.

Have you driven the coach with the A/C & Genset off to see if it is radiant heat causing the problem?

Very strange....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

We have a 2012 31 DS and we also had an issue with the springs hitting the guard in front of the fresh water tank causing it to hit the tank and breaking the drain line where it connects into the tank. It took 3 trips to the dealer to get it corrected. The dealer said the fresh water tank was not mounted and would move around. Also Jayco puts shims on the springs on the drivers side. These are not necessary if you have the auto leveling system installed from the factory. The dealer removed the shims, replaced the fresh water tank with a new one and modified the guard slightly, looks as if they made it a little bit shorter. I have not had any issues since.

As far as the propane issue, we have not had an issue. When we run the genset for the AC we usually run the frig on AC power.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #8

If generator is running your fridge should be on electric?
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

It would depend on which mode it is set, lp, electric or auto.
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #10

We have a Greyhawk 31FS and the fresh tank is being gouged by the heat shield. The heat pad was cut through. The dealer replaced the heat pad but they don't know what to do with the gouged tank.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

Thanks All, Looks like most folks have an issue with the water tank, definitely a design flaw, I'm having it and the heat pad replaced next week hope that fixes it permanently.

I spoke with Jayco (regarding propane tank overheating and releasing pressure) today and they said they would walk the dealership service department through installing a heat shield around the tank so, hopefully this will take care of the problem, I hope they are taking this as serious as I am because this could potentially be fatal and if I'm having this problem someone else out there is having it as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advise.
ozzypd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Had same issue with propane pressure relief valve while crossing the Mohave. Dangerous as the released gas can accumulate under the RV. Jayco had the valve replaced, ok for now, but I like the heat shield plan. We also lost almost all our fresh water when starting on a trip with a full tank, it's ok now, but don't understand what happened to cause it.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #13

Yes.. yes... yes... we have the same problem with the loud sound while driving down the road. We were on here last week asking about it.
dlpatterson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #14

I have driven through some very hot areas and roads +100's and have not had my LP psv relieve. I travel with it full (3/4). The generator on my 31FS is on the opposite side of the RV. I cant imagine the genset heat effecting the LP tank. However, the cat converters are closer to this tank... On the water tank, I have not experienced gouging, but can see the opportunity, should you rock the coach by driving over an uneven surface, driveway etc. to quickly.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #15

I know that this is an older post but wondering if anyone ever found a cause or fix for the pressure relief valve. Recently purchased a 2012 Greyhawk DS and on our first road trip last week, the pressure relief valve went off as we were climbing a steep mountain/ hill near Estes Park. Our tank was at about 80% full and I had chalked it up to the increased pressure building as we climbed , but now wondering if it was heat related and if I should look into adding a shield or having the pressure valve replaced? Also noticed a hole in our fresh water tank when I went to add water. Assumed a plug fell out but now wondering if it is also related to the other issue described.
jburnsosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #16

Try not to run long trips in the summer with a full propane tank. These rigs build up a lot of heat Underneath which can cause the pressure in the tank to build up. Subsequently if the tank is open it will blow out the regulator and if the tank is closed it will vent out the relief.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote