Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #21

I am a member and I have a 2012 Seneca 36FK. I want to thank all of you for finding out about engine noise. Also some of you have wind noise issues with the front doors, I have the same problem on both counts. I need to ask for comments for the wear and tears issues that someone had on their 2012 Seneca. I am seeing screws breaking off on rear side panels,mud flap steel frames, interior most of the cabinet doors have the same problem. the washer/dryer combo almost walks out of the cabinet. The bedroom cabinet frame work has come apart several times. I have tried to reduce tire pressure because the rear bouncing of the rear end of the coach. I have spoken to freightliner and the M2 frame does have the air suspension available for that frame. Jayco did not order the freightliner M2 with it. I believe that Jayco realized that the stress on their unit without it is what we are seeing. It is on the 2013 not just for marketing but needed because we all will talk and figure it out. I am waiting for the advanced Tech group to get back to me! This M2 frame which is on trucks for hauling stuff and not a RV home on it! I realize that it wasd the first year out of the gate and you learn from things. I feel that Jayco needs to make good of the 2012 owners. I am waiting for Freightliner to get the pricing to install. I know that I am a new member with a lot to say. Thanks in advance
danderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #22

wear and tear issues on 2012 Seneca aee comments by danderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1300 View Post
Yes, we had issues as well with our 2012 36FK. However, so has a friend that has a new $250K Alegro Red class A. From what I can tell it seems to be a common thread with new MHs. Most all our issues were things needing adjustment. The dealer we purchased from had the coach on the floor for a long time (we purchased in October of last year) and had wear and tear issues. Most all our issues should have been fixed before we took delivery by the deal but were not. My biggest complaint is the rattles in the cab... we had about 16 coach issues and 10 chassis issues. To be honest, the problems we've had were not as severe as those that my friend had with the Alegro. Fit and finish much better on the Jayco, Genset system, camera system and leveling system all better on the Jayco as well. The Alegro leveling jacks broke OFF in the first month. He's had structural cracks in the corners of the openings for the slides, every cabinet door is way out of alignment and more.
I'd not worry yet as all our issues, other than the chassis rattles, have been resolved and no new ones have popped up.

I have to say, I wish I'd got the 2013 just for the larger wheels and air suspension. However, the price was hard to pass up on the 2012.

I can send you a list of problems we had if you like to compare.

Thanks for the info on the "noise"...

Denie
.please read comments on last page of this thread ny danderson
Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson View Post
I have spoken to freightliner and the M2 frame does have the air suspension available for that frame. Jayco did not order the freightliner M2 with it. I believe that Jayco realized that the stress on their unit without it is what we are seeing. It is on the 2013 not just for marketing but needed because we all will talk and figure it out.
I am not trying to defend Jayco on this but in 2012 they also had the Embark which had the air ride, bigger engine and bigger tires on a real M2 chassis. If they did not go with the cheaper chassis on the Seneca it would have just been an Embark with a different floor plan. I bet they were also trying to keep it as cheap as possible and even then it was a huge price jump from the old Seneca on the Kodiak chassis to the new Seneca on the econo Freightliner chassis.
FWIW the M2 chassis with the air ride rides great. But I would bet it will be close to $10K until it is installed. Good Luck
az9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Can you give me more info? Exactly what the fix is (part number?) so I can be specific when I go back to Freightliner.

Thanks.
I want to update on Freightliner part fix for engine noise. My freightliner dealer call Andrew in West Va. to talk about the part fix. He said that the problem solution did not work. The Freightliner engineers are back to the drawing boards.I hope that Andrew will let my dealer know when they have another part fix. If anyone hears please post on the forum1 Thanks Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #25

Did it make any difference? Mine was definitely quieter but not gone, maybe 75% quieter. Enough that it we can have a conversation in the cab . That is enough for now but I will continue to follow this thread to see if there is a more definitive solution.

On a separate note: while looking under the rig to find the source of another noise (probably something stuck to a wheel) I saw one of the swab bar bushings totally shredded. Back to the Freightliner center I guess.

Still love my Seneca though!!!
GuidoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #26

Quote:
I want to update on Freightliner part fix for engine noise. My freightliner dealer call Andrew in West Va. to talk about the part fix. He said that the problem solution did not work. The Freightliner engineers are back to the drawing boards.I hope that Andrew will let my dealer know when they have another part fix. If anyone hears please post on the forum1 Thanks Dave
Yep. Had mine in at Freightliner and was told the fix mentioned here was not working and engineers are working on a better "fix".
Busa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #27

Quote:
I am a member and I have a 2012 Seneca 36FK. I want to thank all of you for finding out about engine noise. Also some of you have wind noise issues with the front doors, I have the same problem on both counts. I need to ask for comments for the wear and tears issues that someone had on their 2012 Seneca. I am seeing screws breaking off on rear side panels,mud flap steel frames, interior most of the cabinet doors have the same problem. the washer/dryer combo almost walks out of the cabinet. The bedroom cabinet frame work has come apart several times. I have tried to reduce tire pressure because the rear bouncing of the rear end of the coach. I have spoken to freightliner and the M2 frame does have the air suspension available for that frame. Jayco did not order the freightliner M2 with it. I believe that Jayco realized that the stress on their unit without it is what we are seeing. It is on the 2013 not just for marketing but needed because we all will talk and figure it out. I am waiting for the advanced Tech group to get back to me! This M2 frame which is on trucks for hauling stuff and not a RV home on it! I realize that it wasd the first year out of the gate and you learn from things. I feel that Jayco needs to make good of the 2012 owners. I am waiting for Freightliner to get the pricing to install. I know that I am a new member with a lot to say. Thanks in advance
I agree that the ride, especially in the rear, is way too harsh. My wife was sleeping (or trying to) in the bedroom and with every bump at freeway speeds she'd get launched in the air completely off the mattress. What has Jayco said about the stiff suspension so far??
Please let me know the cost to convert to air suspension as I too think this need to be done.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #28

I was told that the price would be around $10,000. I spoke to Jayco and they said it was not been a problem with the existing suspension. They had no interest in footing to bill. My question is that I am seeing screws in the rear side panels shearing off completely. The front part of the rear mud flap all the screws where sheared off. My kitchen cabinet doors are coming apart from the rear stress. They bsaid no help so I said well we will have to do it in the forums. Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #29

We have one of the new 2013 37FS Seneca units with only 360 miles on it. We took delivery in March. We have not had our new unit out on a trip yet, but we had a loaner for spring break to Florida and back from Indiana. The noise everyone is referring to was noticeable in this loaner between 45-55mph so it seems to be a legitimate issue on most/all units.

I have not noticed this shifter cable noise on our new one, but there is a loud air/blower sounding noise coming from the engine compartment in front of the passenger seat. This noise is only noticeable when you are revving the engine (stopped or driving). I am fairly certain it is not the radiator fan as we heard that on spring break and it sounds completely different. Plus, the noise happens as soon as you start the engine (I think the radiator fan would need to be kicked on due to over heating - could be a sensor problem I guess requesting the fan come on immediately).

I am wondering if this is a sound that will go away once we have some miles/hours on the unit with air going through the turbocharger and air filters. It sounds like a hose might have been left off, or air is being pushed through some place that it shouldn't go.

I will post if we find any true fix for this noise.

-flexdog1
flexdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #30

Quote:
I was told that the price would be around $10,000. I spoke to Jayco and they said it was not been a problem with the existing suspension. They had no interest in footing to bill. My question is that I am seeing screws in the rear side panels shearing off completely. The front part of the rear mud flap all the screws where sheared off. My kitchen cabinet doors are coming apart from the rear stress. They bsaid no help so I said well we will have to do it in the forums. Dave
They are refusing to fix the cabinet doors and sheered screws? Check your state for "lemon laws"...in CA three attempts at the same problem is the limit. After that lemon law kicks in. Be sure to document and get invoices for every repair.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #31

Quote:
They are refusing to fix the cabinet doors and sheered screws? Check your state for "lemon laws"...in CA three attempts at the same problem is the limit. After that lemon law kicks in. Be sure to document and get invoices for every repair.
I purchased my Seneca out of State. You have to wait for the for ever to get the service van which takes months. I have to do these repairs myself in order to use the Seneca. All Jayco dealers in Massachusetts will not service Seneca from out of State Jayco dealers yet they do not carry Seneca to purchase. They cannot compete with this out of State Jayco dealer. Jayco has not be able to find a local warranty repair facility in Massachusetts. I am still concerned with the stiff leaf suspension and the long term effects from bouncing on the Jayco cabin! Jayco just said that no concerns have been raised. It is to early to see long terms problems. When cabinet doors and exterior panels screws sharing off it raises concern. I hope that others can express their concerns and maybe Jayco will listen do find a happy sulotion. It has the first year of the change in chassis and things will be found. 2013 at least has the rear air suspension.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #32

I have spoken to Jayco yesterday and was told that a kit is available for the repair of the throttle cable noise. Jayco said to call Daimer Trucks in Mt Holly, North Carolina (704)822-7000 for the information for the kit. Finally!!!!!! Next issue is the leaf rear springs bouncing. Jayco will review options. More 2012 owners need to let Jayco know that a solution is needed.This bouncing could have long term effect on the Jayco box. Warranty does run out!!! Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #33

I do not know what happened to my last entry. Frieghtliner has issued the fix kit for the throttle cable noise. I am having the repair next week. Denie ,I would like to see your issues list to compare problems. Still working on solution with the air suspension with Jayco. No response yet! Dave
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
I do not know what happened to my last entry. Frieghtliner has issued the fix kit for the throttle cable noise. I am having the repair next week. Denie ,I would like to see your issues list to compare problems. Still working on solution with the air suspension with Jayco. No response yet! Dave
I finally had the fix kit installed to the throttle cable at Freightliner Dealer and it seems to be a lot better. Now it is time to work on a solution to the rear end bounce. Any comments? Dave
Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #35

They must have come up w/the right fix, because there's no noise in/on my 2014 37FS.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #36

Noise

If you have someone hold the shift cable while you drive my bet is the noise stops.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #37

I have the TSB document with installation procedures. PM me if you want a copy as the file is too large to post here.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote