Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

2014 Greyhawk 31 FS Brake Question

We bought a 2014 Greyhawk mid-summer of 2016 with 3500 miles on it. Took it on a couple of short trips to get acclimated to RVing and stored over the winter. 2017 and 2018 were fun summers with multiple trips around the mid-Atlantic and northeast area. 2019 was the year of repairs – slide outs realigned, engine control module replaced, leveling jacks repaired and zeroed, body work done on the cab as a result of a hit and run and finally new tires all around.

2020 was going to be the year of National Parks starting with a 6-week trip around FL before heading west. Then pandemic. So, we left FL early to get home and hunker down. Before putting the RV in storage, I gave it a thorough wash and wax. In doing so, I noticed what appears to be brake dust build up on the rear outside rim, passenger side. This is the first time I’ve seen this on the RV. It covers the entire rim under the wheel cover. But it’s only on the passenger side. Driver’s side is clean. Current mileage is 14,250.
I don’t know much about truck braking systems. (The last truck I drove had air brakes.) Don’t know if the Greyhawk has drum type brakes or discs on the rear or if there are brakes on each rear wheel hub. I do know that there shouldn’t be that much brake dust build up on one side and not the other. Is this a dragging brake pad, is the opposite side not braking at all so this side is doing all the braking, could there be a fluid leak of some kind that is trapping the brake dust, is it even brake dust? Is it time for a brake job all around? We do tow a CRV as well.

Would appreciate any thoughts, insights or similar experience regarding this before I take it to a Ford truck dealer for evaluation. Not going to drive mountains out west without good brakes. Thanks for any comments.

Don from Delaware
DonBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

You have 4 wheel disc brakes, been that way since 2000/2001 or earlier. The calipers have been known to stick on occasion so that may be your issue.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

Just a thought. Get yourself one of those hand held point and click temperature sensors. Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap. Pull both rear wheel covers off. Then drive the rig a while going up and down some hills. Stop at the bottom of a hill and shoot the temperature of the back wheels. If the brake is dragging, that dirty wheel will be much hotter. Make sure you drive the rig for a while. It can take some time for the heat buildup. There is a high temp lubricant that is used on the pins that the pads slide on. It could be those pins need to be re-lubed or there's some rust on there or their jamming. Those pads would probably need replaced.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

Good to know they are disc brakes. I've changed my share of those on cars and may take shot at it with the Greyhawk. Appreciate the feedback. Stay safe.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

Going to get one of those temp guns and try your suggestion about driving it around and checking the temp after driving to see if there's pad dragging. Next time I'm at the RV I'm gonna crawl under and see what I might see as well. Thanks for the suggestion. Be safe out there.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Good luck with it. I suppose you have a good bottle jack and some jack stands. Chock the wheels for safety.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Good luck with it. I suppose you have a good bottle jack and some jack stands. Chock the wheels for safety.
Jack and wheel chucks are no problem but will have to get some 3 ton jack stands. Going to crawl under the rig this week and get a look from there as well as take it for a drive and see if the wheel on that side heats up more than the other.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Don
Old 06-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

Hey Folks, just wanted to update you all on the outcome of the brake issue. When I took it in to be evaluated, the service manager at Pasco said he sees a lot of RVs with brake pad tracks rusted up so the pad can't retract and drags on the disc. He didn't think it would be the caliper since there is only 14K miles on the unit. He indicated that because the unit sits for long periods of time the rust is able to build because the pad is not moving every day like it would with a car.

They found exactly that on the right rear brake mechanism. So they disassembled the brake, cleaned up all the parts and used brake grease on the pad tracks. While they had the vehicle up, they did the same to all the other wheels as well. The RV was returned the next day at a cost of $97. Needless to say, they will be getting more chassis and engine business from me in the future.

Can't wait to get back on the road. Looks like we might make a rip to Alexander Bay, NY before the end of the year. Happy travels, stay safe and be well.