Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #1

2014 Seneca 37TS questions

I posted a few weeks back that I was in notations with a Jacyo Seneca dealer. I bought it and drove it back to CA with 8500 miles on it. I have since taken it in for a oil change, replaced the fuel fuel filter and lubed the chasse to establish a base line since I did not have the service history. Other than a few rattles that I will chase down we are very happy with the coach. That said I have a few questions that I could not find after a search on this site?

1) how often do you have the engine oil changed or how many miles between oil changes?
2) does the air leak down when parked? I hear a slight air leak when I shut the engine off?
3) what tire pressure has been found to give the best ride and tire performance?

Thank you
Doormandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Oil change intervals 15,000 miles. I think that is too long and for $60 I change my own. Did my first change at 5000miles gonna change every 10,000 miles or once a year.
My air suspension will leak down after a day or so of setting. I always start mine and using the resume button on the cruise bring the idle up to 1000 until it comes up to temp before I ever move. The suspension pumps back up after a minute or so. I can't hear any air leaks tho.
I run 95psi cold tire pressure but there is a guide for the optimal tire pressure per tire load.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Jayco Seneca

I have a 2015 Seneca that I believe is mechanically identical to yours. Jayco could make this whole maintenance issue much mor simple by providing a manual that details all maintenance issues and the like. For reasons I don't understand, they don't. You can purchase a Freightliner Business Class M2 Driver's and Maintenance Manual. I have one and though its confusing, it does contain a lot of information. You can see it online for free. Oil and oil filter changes occur either 15000 mi or annually, whichever comes first. Tire pressure, according to Michelin on the 22.5 inch wheels is 100 lbs, both front and back. If the 2014 has some other wheel size or tire manufacturer, you will need to look it up. Because you can get water in your diesel fuel, it is recommended to drain your fuel filter housing at each fill up. Hope this helps.
Abaco Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Thank you both. You are correct, to my knowledge there is no hard line on service intervals in either the Jayco or the Frieghtliner manual. The service personal at my Freightliner started to tell me 25000.00 miles between oil changes but I think he is mistaken. Thanks for the advice.

Dan Lyman
Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormandan View Post
Thank you both. You are correct, to my knowledge there is no hard line on service intervals in either the Jayco or the Frieghtliner manual. The service personal at my Freightliner started to tell me 25000.00 miles between oil changes but I think he is mistaken. Thanks for the advice.

Dan Lyman
Hi Dan, I believe the Freightliner Tech may have misread the specs. I’m looking at the Cummins spec sheet and it reads 15000 mi or 24000 km, 500 hours or 6 months. Primary and secondary fuel filters is also the same interval.
The Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Thanks, our company runs Ford Powerstroke trucks so I'm aware of the componets that will need to be serviced just not how often for this size of rig. We came from a V10. I'm liking the added comfort send power.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Sam

I know this is going to sound dumb, but how many quarts of oil does the Cummins take? I have always had trucks, a one ton Ram with Cummins 6.7 presently. Don't know it would be the same as my 14 Seneca TS. I just bought the Seneca last week with 2,700 miles on it so I am really new at this. I have the Freightliner book but it does not indicate how much oil or for that matter other capacities. The manual seem confusing to me. Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

I believe the oil capacity is 15 quarts. 74 gallons of fuel, 34 in driver's side and 40 in passenger side tank.
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #9

More air questions

I also was wondering how long the air "holds" in other's newer Freightliner Senecas. If my 2014 is parked for more than 6 hours or so I am waiting to build air next time I start the truck. One time I thought I even heard a small air leak near the rear axle after I shut down but I had no time to climb under and investigate. Other times when I tried to listen it was absolutely quiet. Maybe the airbags releasing air? Not sure.

Since we have an air system, has anyone installed air horn(s) on their Seneca? I hate the wimpy single electric horn and will either add a second electric or an underhood air horn if possible and affordable. I don't want an electric compressor when I already have chassis air, I figure if someone knows how we can safely tie into the air system the horn air solenoid could be actuated by the regular horn circuit. Having experience with trucks with air brakes, I know there needs to be a "priority" valve preventing the horn from depleting the air to the point the parking brake self-applies!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
Sam

Thanks Robbbyr, all I need now is to find out what oil filter to use. Ii is not listed in the FL manual. Sam
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #11

Fleetguard LF3970 is the Cummins recommended filter for my 2014 37TS, engine was assembled in 2013.

To find out a whole lot about your Cummins engine register with Cummins QuickServe Online. You will need your engine serial number. You can see a complete parts breakdown for your specific engine and application.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

I agree that 15k is what Cummins recommends. I have the oil changed and fuel filters done annually along with the Onan genny.

As far as the suspension question - the airbags on our coach do lose air over time - usually takes around 5 hours or so before the mudflap is hitting the ground. The only time I've heard air leaking / hissing from the bags is when the leveling jacks are used. They empty pretty fast when the weight comes off the real axle.

I wonder how much better my ride would be if I let some air out of the tires. I usually run ours with 110psi cold - it can be pretty rough on some of the back roads around here.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

I dropped my tires to 95psi cold. It was noticeable the difference in ride.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #14

For safety I've always understood that the amount of air in the tires should be based on the axel loads and not for ride comfort.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #15

Exactly correct. 110psi cold is max pressure for max load. According to the inflation/load chart 95psi cold is still higher than necessary for the load of the Seneca and improves the ride. It is best to weigh each axle with the unit fully loaded to know exactly. We travel with just two people and the unit almost empty.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #16

Agreed - I weighed ours on the way home from out last trip - full fuel, 1/3 water, 2 adults, three dogs, probably still enough supplies for another weekend, and we were at 23,660 (max is 28k). Seems there is some room to reduce the pressure a bit for a smoother ride.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 05-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #17

Are you towing a toad? If so what's your combined weight and what sort of mileage are you getting?

I wonder what others with late model Senecas weigh in their normal travel configuration? Maybe that should be its own topic.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #18

We tow a Honda CR-V. Combined weight was ~27,500.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #19
Sam

We will be towing a Jeep Wrangled Rubicon four door, approx. 4500 lbs. with our 2014 Seneca TS. I estimate a total of 29000 lbs with all our gear and liquids. I have not weighed the combination but will at the first opportunity. Have only had the Seneca three week and will tow the Jeep for the first time tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #20

We have a Dodge Journey that we'll tow using a Acme EzTow if we get a Super C. The weight is about 4,100 but with the dolly it will come in around 4,300 so we should end up close to the same when it's all done.

I think the Jeep cable converts the standard 4 pin trailer signals to CAN bus instructions to the Body Control Computer on the Jeep. It would be nice if that controller would work the Journeys BCC but that would be a very, very, very long shot.

No one to date has made a standalone controller to do the same thing for other vehicles but I've designed a system that will connect into the lighting connectors so it will basically do the same thing but just not as elegant. By using mating connectors inline with the lights it can be removed at any time incase any servicing needs to be done.