Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

2014 Seneca House Batteries

Has anyone changed their house batteries and if so, what did you go with and why? Not quite at that point yet, but just curious as to the options for more amp hours.

Thanks.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

I put 4 - Trojan T-105's 6-volt true deep-cycles in my Seneca last summer when my O.E. Harris batteries went bad. I believe before I bought it the unit it probably sat dead over a winter and the batteries froze. I started having issues so I switched them out to prevent a failure while camping. I could have tried making a warranty claim, but I knew I wanted something better anyway. I might have gone AGM batteries, but I had a "connection" and got the T-105's for $75@, plus I needed them right away and the AGM's would have to had been ordered.

They fit very nicely, slightly taller but not an issue at all in my unit. Obviously I had to re-do the connections; I have two batteries in series (to make 12-volts) and then each pair in parallel. If I have a battery go bad I could quickly take that pair out of the loop and stay in business.

I also went with the Trojan single-point watering system. Makes it very easy to water the batteries without trying to move the cables and get the caps off, then spill water (and overfill) almost every time. I just attach the quick-disconnect bulb pump to the fill line, stick the suction hose in a gallon of distilled water, pump till it stops, and each cell is filled to the perfect level. No muss, no fuss.

I am very happy how it went, and I know with proper care these batteries will out-perform and outlast the Harris units it came with.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

I should have mentioned my original batteries were Harris Professional Plus 27D170 models. According to Harris they are a "dual purpose" battery with a cold cranking rating as if they are a starting battery. Most "experts" will tell you that being a starting battery means they may not last as long in an RV house battery situation as a true deep cycle battery, such as a 6-volt golf cart battery like the Trojan T-105.

I have to admit it is hard to compare the specifications of these two batteries, starting and golf cart (deep cycle) batteries seem to have two different means they rate the batteries and the scales between the two types don't match up.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #4

Thanks

I have the original date Oct 2014 Interstate RV Batteries, SRM27s. Have not really done much dry camping yet, but have been trying it out in the driveway as far as running off grid. Was looking ahead at battery options, and possibly solar.

Really appreciate the info!
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

I found the Exide battery to have a very good rating at 105AH for a group 27. Good luck with them in past. Just replaced house batteries with them. 89.00 each at Tractor Supply.
Luco is offline   Reply With Quote