Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #1

2015 GreyHawk 31FS Shower Leak

we just bought our first RV, a used 2015 Jayco GreyHawk 31 FS and we have a leak coming somewhere from under the shower. We have plumbed entire houses so could most likely fix but aren't sure how to even begin accessing the plumbing under the shower... any suggestions?
cgreen.anne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreen.anne1 View Post
we just bought our first RV, a used 2015 Jayco GreyHawk 31 FS and we have a leak coming somewhere from under the shower. We have plumbed entire houses so could most likely fix but aren't sure how to even begin accessing the plumbing under the shower... any suggestions?

There should be a cover below the shower door, or close by , that you can unscrew and remove to get to your drain plumbing.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

There's a cover below the shower door that can be removed to allow limited access to the drain. There's also the hot and cold plumbing in the wall behind the faucets so the water could be coming from a leaking connection there. Looks like it's fairly simple to remove the shower valves and take a look at those connections.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I had the drain line plumbing crack in my rig, due to Jayco cutting out too much plywood support and not installing enough support blocking. This allowed the shower pan to really flex, eventually leading to a pipe break.

I had a small access panel, which wasn't large enough to access that area. I had to cut a bigger hole, cut out and replace the trap and fittings, add more plywood support, and add three more support blocks to fix the issue.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I had the drain line plumbing crack in my rig, due to Jayco cutting out too much plywood support and not installing enough support blocking. This allowed the shower pan to really flex, eventually leading to a pipe break.

I had a small access panel, which wasn't large enough to access that area. I had to cut a bigger hole, cut out and replace the trap and fittings, add more plywood support, and add three more support blocks to fix the issue.
Exactly what I did. Not near enough support under the shower pan. I didn't like the way it flexed so I braced it up before the drain started leaking. So far, so good.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Exactly what I did. Not near enough support under the shower pan. I didn't like the way it flexed so I braced it up before the drain started leaking. So far, so good.
It's good you caught your issue early. I noticed and felt the flex in the shower pan right in the beginning, but figured Jayco knew what they were doing when they built it..... Until the bathroom flooded out after the 5th trip in the new rig...

Warning to every one else... if you feel flexing in your shower pan in the drain area, take care of it NOW!! Here's how mine came from the factory:
Attached Thumbnails
Drain3.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Warning to every one else... if you feel flexing in your shower pan in the drain area, take care of it NOW!!
Great advice folks. Read and heed.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

I had the shower drain leak in my Trailer. Came back from walking the dog and noticed a swollen under-belly wrap. Took a knife to it to drain it. I got to looking at the shower drain, and it was a plastic drain with a slip-fitting. This allows the drain to move up and down as the shower pan flexes. Cool on the surface, until the drain flexes out of range and slips out of the p-trap part. I fixed it there at the park through the little access hole as best I could. I was looking at a drain assembly that's flexible from the shower pan all the way past the P-trap, but never got that far before I sold the trailer.

IIRC, it was a "universal fit" shower drain. One-piece flexible rubber all the way and would've accommodated A LOT more flex from the shower pan and drain plumbing without coming apart and filling the bottom of my camper with water.

So in addition to shoring up the support under the pan, I would recommend shopping for a better/more flexible drain assembly.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

Wow, this forum is great! Our pan has a lot of flex so we are going to check that out. Thanks so much!
cgreen.anne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

So in addition to shoring up the support under the pan, I would recommend shopping for a better/more flexible drain assembly.
I think if the shower pans gets the required blocking, it eliminates a lot of the movement. The ABS, being plastic, has enough give to take a little bit of movement. In my rig, to make matters worse, the drain fitting and missing plywood was at the front of the pan, exactly where you step to get in. Wifey and I are both lightweights, and the existing fitting still broke from the flexing.

Here is my "after" picture, after add more plywood and 3 more 2x4 supports. I've contacted Jayco to send me some additional wallcovering/contact paper, so I can cover the larger access plate I had to make.

Just really frustrating, as usual, to have to keep fixing these crappy install issues by Jayco on a NEW rig....
Attached Thumbnails
Draindone3.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #11

My shower faucets leaked from the factory

They ATTEMPTED to fix it , was odvious where the leak was, Soni fixed it myself

It ran down and dropped out the back by the bumper, so check those too
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaky shower