Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

2015 Greyhawk Airbags HELP???

I have a 2015 Greyhawk 31FS and am looking to install airbags on it. The problem as I see it, is it has the jride package that has those hell wig helper springs and that will interfere with the installation. Two questions, does anyone have airbags on their 15 greyhawk and if so what was required to install them i.e. remove the helpers, move things, what brand of spring and part numbers if possible... The other question is would you recommend them? I would like them because of the bounce we have in the rear when loaded with kids and fluids. We had them on other vehicles and they made a world of difference. Any help would be great.
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

I to have a 31FS and got to talking with an old timer that has had several class c motorhomes and he said that airbags are the only way to go. They will take out the bounce and shudder of "EVERY" bump. I say that because we just got back from a 3000 mile trip and I am very disappointed in the ride quality. He also said that they should be put on the fronts as well. An onboard compressor would make it adjustable on the fly. I was thinking the same thing about the helpers. Maybe brackets can be made to use both. Or they wouldn't be needed. I am looking into this and will post my findings.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Unhappy

If you dont get any answers here try forestriverforums.com their class C motorhomes come factory with air bags.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

So a brief update, I purchased the hellwig bags part 6102 that fit the rear. Airlift 1000 bags for the front. I bought the airlift wireless compressor with these. For sway, I got front and rear roadmaster bars and their steering stabilizer. I redeploy in a week or so and when I return I will be taking a trip after installation, so I can give you an update to time, tools and overall experience. I hope this removes some of the bounce, tractor trailer sway and loose steering I have. Total cost is around 1900 so not bad.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Ranger Bob did you have your rig aligned? The factory settings are from Ford for the vehicle with no real weight on it. When they put the caster parts on mine, it tightened the steering up very nicely.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 AM   #6

I did, but unfortunately I'm not sure if it was done correctly. I heard someone talking about a cam kit on another thread and am honestly a bit uncertain if this pertains to my class c. I am familiar with proper alignment as I was once an mechanic and used to do them regularly, but only on regular cars and trucks. we used shims for camber/caster adjustment but never a kit???
Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

I'm surprised you're going through this much effort w/ a Greyhawk. J-Ride+ takes care of pretty much all the handling concerns. I would really wonder about your alignment as other's have posted. I can go down the road doing 70-75 mph and hover my hands over the steering wheel and she tracks true (so long as there are no side winds obviously).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #8

The tracking for the most part is straight ahead, barring wind and passing trucks of course. The issue is the bounce in the coach, the rear end sway, the loose steering and the overall lack of positive control in the wheel. I have even tried adjusting the weight and balance of the MH to give me more front of center balance, but with fuel, water and gear all positioned in the back of the 31FS, its hard to redistribute the weight so that the load is forward of the rear axle. I even moved the mattress in the master to the over cab bed. What I will have to do is load it up with fluids and gear then have it re-aligned. Anyone know about these cam kits Ive read about?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

I recently purchased a 2016 Greyhawk. I had to have an alignment done on it, which was expected. When the shop put it on the rack, the cam and caster were out of tolerance to the point that the alignment could not be properly competed without using a cam and caster kit. My understanding is that these include shims that get the hardware within a certain tolerance where the alignment can be done. I am surprised that you are considering air bags. My unit drives great. I have air bags on my 3/4 ton dodge but just to level it when I have a heavy load, not to reduce bounce. I haven't heard a lot of complaints on the Greyhawk ride.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

Just out of interest, what's your Cargo Carrying Capacity on the yellow sticker for yours? I'm wondering how heavy it was coming off the line.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Unfortunately I can't tell you what the capacity is as I am currently deployed. In a week or so I will be able to find out when I get home. Out of curiosity, where can i get the cam kit for the MH?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #12

Air Bags 0n 2016 Greyhawk

Ive already mentioned this to RangerBob but thought I'd share again in this thread. Perhaps it will help someone.

I added the Firestone 2458 bags to my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS and they work great. I added the air bags to give me the extra couple inches of clearance I need to get up my driveway without hitting. I also use them when coming in and out of sketchy gas stations.

The skid wheels help, but not in every situation (like my driveway).

I was adding on board air anyway, for tools and tires when we go riding in the desert.

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #13

Ok, now that is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I boondock a lot and am concerned about the clearance on my rear jacks. Using air bags to raise the suspension should give me added clearance. I don't have any issues in my driveway (although it is pretty steep) but certainly could use extra clearance off road.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

That's great JDSport, glad I could help.

JGerhard
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags 2015 greyhawk