Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

2015 Jayco Redhawk 26XD

2015 Jayco Redhawk 26XD

New to the forum, 3rd RV.

We bought the Redhawk last December 2016 used. About 3800 miles on it.
We took 5 local trips with it and it performed ok.

Last week we got back from a 1100 mile trip to Canada. (Pennsy turnpike and NY thruway) All I can say is I do not believe there is a suspension under the RV. The coach is shaking itself apart. there doesn't seem to be any shock absorption.

Of course being the second owner Jayco wants nothing to do with it.

Any other Redhawk 26XD owners out there that have had similar experiences and can give me an idea as to what is wrong and how to fix it.

I was led to believe by the dealer that it had the J ride package. According to Jayco it was not installed in my coach.

Alan
galline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galline View Post

I was led to believe by the dealer that it had the J ride package. According to Jayco it was not installed in my coach.
Dealer, told a white lie, here is the 2015 spec.

Hellwig helper springs with rubber isolation body mounts

If it was mine I'd spend the money on KONI shocks if they're available for the 450 chassis.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

Thank you grumpy.

I took a look under the RV and saw that indeed there is no rear shocks, explains a lot.

The front looks to have a stock Ford shock and steering damper.

Is this the model number of the Bilstein shock that comes with the J ride package for my coach?

BILSTEIN B6 33-176840

I looked at Koni and they run about twice the price.

Thanks Alan
Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Grumpy is right. The Redhawk is considered as entry level by Jayco so we are missing a few features that our big brother the Greyhawk has, such as Bilstien shocks and upgraded sway bars and other nice to have features. Even with the missing upgrades they still advertise it as "Jride". If your wondering what the difference is, here is a photo of the stock Ford and the Blue Ox front swaybar that I installed today on my 2016 Redhawk 26XD.

The one in the foreground is the Ford stock at 15/16 of an inch, with the Blue Ox at 1 3/8 inches.
The front and rear shocks are Ford stock.
Attached Thumbnails
20170707_110127_Burst01.jpg  
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

My Greyhawk had all stock Ford parts and only Helwigs helpers were installed on rear springs, I ungraded to larger front and rear sway bars and a set of Bilstien shocks now it drives great. now i am trying to figure out what to do with the old sway bars
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

I installed the Koni shocks on the rear of our Redhawk a couple of months back. It made a big difference in ride quality. I'll probably tackle the front in the fall.

Bilstein makes a great shock but from everything I've read the Konis are indeed worth the extra money.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #7

Hello all

Latest update. I got the proper part number for the shocks from Jayco. I asked if they were just bolt on but was told there is no mounts for the shocks on my chassis.

drk 98, did you chassis come with mounts? If not what did you have to add?

I priced the Koni shocks and they do indeed look great but price is double. No room in the current budget unfortunately.

Alan
Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galline View Post
Thank you grumpy.

I took a look under the RV and saw that indeed there is no rear shocks, explains a lot.

The front looks to have a stock Ford shock and steering damper.

Is this the model number of the Bilstein shock that comes with the J ride package for my coach?

BILSTEIN B6 33-176840

I looked at Koni and they run about twice the price.

Thanks Alan

I have the same model as you, the 2016 Redhawk XD on a ford 2015 E450 chassis and it definitely has rear shocks but not the best. I am also considering upgrading.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #9

Update.

I just ordered BILSTEIN shocks front and rear.

They were on sale for a great price (AJUSA.com). Got all 4 for $303.00. I will have my local mechanic install them for me.

These are the model numbers that Jayco recommended.

Front: 24-234511
Rear: 24-234528

Alan
Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

update

I found out this morning the above part numbers are wrong.

I will update when I get this all sorted out.

not happy

Alan
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #11

Update

Update

Yesterday I had installed new shocks and a rear sway bar.

This is the proper part numbers for my 2015 Redhawk 26XD.
Bilstein B 6 comfort
Front: 33-187563
Rear: 33-176840

The sway bar is a Helwig number 7180 (rear). 7718 is the sway bar for the front.

As funds allow I will be adding the Helwig front sway bar and a better Steering Stabilizer.

Does anyone have any experience with the Roadmaster? Is there a less expensive alternative out there?

We have another trip coming up in a week and I am anxious to see if the ride improves.

A couple of notes:
2 of the stock Ford shocks were shot with only 6800 miles on them.

Replacing the front drivers side shock is a nightmare. No room to access the top nut on the shock. My mechanic had to cut the old shock out with a sawsall to remove it. Watch out for the 2 sheet metal screws sticking out of the body just where you would place a wrench. Also beware there is a wiring harness running over the top of the shock in this location.

The sway bar went in as advertized but just a warning, it is very heavy especially when you are on your back under the RV.

As noted on another thread Jayco takes no responsibility for anything related to the chassis. I will also note that their tech support is awful. It cost me $70.00 in return shipping to realize that they cannot even supply proper part numbers for the RVs with their name on it. In the 9 months that I have owned this coach I can say that there is not much that has endeared me to Jayco.

Alan
Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #12

Changing out the front steering stabilizer was a piece of cake (except for getting the torque wrench on one nut). I found bilstein shocks and a rear HD anti-sway bar made a world of difference in handling. I'm headed out for the first trip on the new steering stabilizer in a week. Looking forward to see what the difference is...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

You will notice a difference, I had to cut my shocks off with the same tool and getting it back on was no fun
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #14

1 year update

Update.

It’s been a year since I upgraded the suspension. New shocks, rear sway bar and Roadmaster steering stabilizer.

Results: handling has improved. Sway has been reduced, not eliminated.
The steering stabilizer was well worth the cost.

The shocks are better but the ride comfort is still not where I want it. It still bottoms out on bumps with a jolt.

Question: has anyone installed front and rear airbags on the E-450 Class C chassis?

What were the results? Was it worth the investment?
Alan