Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

2015 Redhawk bathroom roof hatch issue.

Hi all,

We have an interesting issue with our 2015 Redhawk 23XM. The vent pipe from the waste tanks is right up against the back of the bathroom roof hatch. When we flush the toilet, we have to close the hatch, or the sewer gas smell is sucked right back down the hatch into the motorhome.

An RV mechanic in Florida said that it appears to be a design flaw. The only suggestion they had is to remove the rubber roof, and relocate the hatch about 18 inches or so farther into the bathroom, then re-inatall the roof.

Good grief! Seems to be a really poor design!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

We have the exhaust fan in the bathroom roof vent. We run the fan during showers but I believe the owner's manual states do not use the roof vent when flushing the toilet or it will suck the smell up into the bathroom. If you don't have an exhaust fan and it is doing this, that is really a problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Hi Joe,

Yes, we have the fan too, but we NEVER use it when flushing! This seems to be an issue of the vent pipe being so close to the roof hatch, that the "gas" comes right back into the roof hatch, if it's open. I really don't know what to do about it, 'cause it's really annoying to have to close the bathroom roof hatch every time we flush!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
An RV mechanic in Florida said that it appears to be a design flaw. The only suggestion they had is to remove the rubber roof, and relocate the hatch about 18 inches or so farther into the bathroom, then re-inatall the roof.
How about moving the vent pipe outlet to another place on the roof? Three feet of plastic pipe the same size as the vent pipe, two right angle fittings, friction fit them them together for testing. If it solves the smell problem, use glue on the pipes/angles and a clamp to hold the end to the roof for a permanent mounting.

Or, can you put a cover over the vent (Maxair kind of thing)? That might have the same effect as moving the hatch, and a whole lot cheaper, quicker, and easier.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Thanks eric6A,

I had even thought of increasing the hight of the pipe, I guess that I just need to be careful not to go too high. I have maxxair covers on both hatches, the problem is that the sewer vent pipe is right against it.

Darn, I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of stuff on a brand new unit. I'm too old to try to get up on the roof of the coach...
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier