Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #1

2015 Seneca 37FS vs 2016 Seneca 37FS

Hello everyone. I am looking to get a 2016 Seneca 37FS. The 2016 I am looking at has air brakes, but I am finding that the 2015 has Power ABS Brakes. As I understand it, the air brakes are far superior, however, there is a new 2015 model year for sale in Texas for $149,995 vs the 2016 fo $164,995 at my local dealership. Can anyone with the 2015 with the Power Brakes advise if the air brakes are worth spending the extra money for the 2016? Also, I am having a hard time finding a comparison sheet from the 2015 to the 2016 model year to see what improvements were made if anyone could help with that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Murraym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #2

I'm upgrading from a 2014 to a 2016.

A few things to consider:

The 2016 has a linoleum floor vs. individual tile. If the floor were to get damaged in the 2015 it's a realitively, simple fix by replacing the damaged tile. With the 2016 although the wood linoleum looks great it would be difficult to repair.

The front seats in the 2016 are the factory Freightliner grey vinyl, the 2015 and earlier have Flexsteel seats with fabric to match the rest of the coach interior.

The kitchen back splash and counter tops have been changed to a different style as well for 2016.

The good stuff:

As you noted, the later built 2016's have air brakes in addition to air seats.

The big thing for me... No spliced frame.

The early 2016's and prior build coaches ride on stretched frames from MorRyde. Jayco would purchase the M2 106 chassis, send it to MorRyde and have the frame stretched, lengthen the drive shaft, brake lines, wiring and weld the supports for the coach floor. There is a plate welded to each frame rail where the rails are but-welded together.

When the new chassis are ordered with the air brakes they are also ordered from Freightliner with the lengthened frame rails, no welded, extended frames. The chassis is now all Freightliner. This was a biggie to me.

So my take, early 2016 and before, nicer interior. Later 2016, better chassis.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #3

As a person with a CDL the air brakes would be my choice.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #4

Air brakes and air ride, awesome!

It takes a while to get used to the air pressure to build up, but this 37ft rig will stop on a dime. And the 160k you were quoted; it's a steal for a 2016. Sure it would be nice to have matching captains chairs to match the dacor, I'm gonna get some seat covers to remedy that. I'm happy with my 2016, have had no issues except engine light coming on, on my way home from purchase. Checked everyone under hood, oil dip stick wasn't locked into notches. Turned engine back on and light was off.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

I have a 2015, and have no problem with the brake operation. The braking system works really well. I also have driven commercial trucks with air brakes for many years. I think both work very good, and do their job as they should. As far a s air ride seats, my seats in the 2015 are very comfortable with having no air. Drive them both, then make your decision!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Air brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post

A few things to consider:

The 2016 has a linoleum floor vs. individual tile. If the floor were to get damaged in the 2015 it's a realitively, simple fix by replacing the damaged tile. With the 2016 although the wood linoleum looks great it would be difficult to repair.

The front seats in the 2016 are the factory Freightliner grey vinyl, the 2015 and earlier have Flexsteel seats with fabric to match the rest of the coach interior.

The kitchen back splash and counter tops have been changed to a different style as well for 2016.

The good stuff:

As you noted, the later built 2016's have air brakes in addition to air seats.

The early 2016's and prior build coaches ride on stretched frames from MorRyde. Jayco would purchase the M2 106 chassis, send it to MorRyde and have the frame stretched, lengthen the drive shaft, brake lines, wiring and weld the supports for the coach floor. There is a plate welded to each frame rail where the rails are but-welded together.

When the new chassis are ordered with the air brakes they are also ordered from Freightliner with the lengthened frame rails, no welded, extended frames. The chassis is now all Freightliner. This was a biggie to me.

Thank you all for the quick info.

So you are saying if it 100% has the air brakes, it 100% does not have a stretched frame? Thanks again.
Murraym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murraym View Post
Thank you all for the quick info.

So you are saying if it 100% has the air brakes, it 100% does not have a stretched frame? Thanks again.
Correct.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #8

Are the seats able to rotate to the living room?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
Are the seats able to rotate to the living room?
No, the front seats do not swivel on any of the Freightliner chassis years. There is a pronounced step down from the coach floor level to the cab floor.

I would also like to add that I have never had any "issues" with my 2014's hydraulic 4-wheel disc brakes. But it might make me consider a move if Jayco had opted for Freightliner to install 4-wheel air disc brakes. We moved to those on our department's fire trucks due to increased effectiveness and easier inspection and servicing. Not that drums are bad, they still are in service on hundreds of thousands of trucks/trailers out there. But talk to a big rig mechanic and ask which he would rather work on!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

It may seem like a small difference but when the co-pilot notices it, it matters. The larger window in 2016 results in smaller cabinet and the removal of "plate space" at the galley. DW is 5'5" and can't readily reach into the higher cabinets. Yep, know there is storage over TV in mine but with the big slide in you can't get to it.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #11

We have the 2015 Freightliner with the 2016 Jayco cabin on our 37FS. We have been living in it, almost continuously since October of 2015. Very satisfied with braking capability with little over 10,000 miles and the truck cab seats are very comfortable.
Purchased ours from Evan at MH2GO in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I can't say enough about my satisfaction with this dealership. They've answered every question, handled every minor warranty claim that came with a new unit and have become good friends. Very pleased that we did our homework before the purchase and found the unit we wanted.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post

Where is this splice? I went to the factory when we ordered our 2014. Looked at the bare chassis sitting outside because I was interested in the frame. I did not see any evidence of a splice. Either I'm blind or they did it so well it was undetectable. I just crawled all over under mine, I cannot detect anywhere it was spliced together. There is no plate on the inside or outside of the frame. As I typed this I went back out and looked again with a bright light. I see a one piece frame rail. If the driveshaft was lengthened the splice would be between the axles.
I was at Hill truck in Elkhart for some warranty work in 2014 and they had some new M2 chassis sitting there the same wheelbase as the Seneca (I parked next to them). They were trucks not RV's. I did not see a spliced frame. Did your 2014 show evidence of a splice?
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
Sam

As you can see from my signature, I own a 2014 Seneca TS. I have laid on a creeper from the front to the very back examining the frame and there is no evidence of any welds or plates described in a older post. I called Jayco and explained what I had read. Their response was no way. I called Freightliner and they said that Freightliner would not provide a two year warrentee if the frame was modified in any way. We have over 11,500 miles on our Seneca and are satisfied owners.

I think incorrect information may have been given out possibly by a dealer or salesperson. I agree with Mr. Oz, just no evidence of this. I made these inquires mostly because of curiosity, I am happy with my Seneca. Sure, we had some minor issues at the beginning but as I said "minor issues". Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
As you can see from my signature, I own a 2014 Seneca TS.
I was actually "concerned" when I read the Seneca had a spliced frame, I had been under it many times previously and never noticed any splice. I had two previous Ford Econoline-based Class C motorhomes, both were stretched and it was very obvious. I never had any issues, but.....

So I went under my Seneca again today and there is absolutely no evidence of a splice. No evidence of extension wiring harnesses either like on my Fords. I consulted the original Seneca brochure and it does show other 2014 Seneca models had differing wheelbases, not certain how the other models accomplished that. Likewise the 2016 models also have differing wheelbases. Does Freightliner supply Jayco with differing wheelbases? I certainly cannot say. But they were different then, and they still are.

I also have a "Marketing and Skills Training" file for the 2013 Senecas that shows that MORryde did do upfitting on the bare chassis such as constructing and installing the floor crossmembers, installing the leveler system, installing the coach battery tray, and adding the receiver hitch. No mention of frame modification listed.

If MORryde did splice the frame, you absolutely cannot tell how or where.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Hello Everone,

Great information on this forum.

I have a Seneca 2016 FK w/air brakes, the chassis was built in 7/13/2015 and the coach was built 12/7/2015. I went to the plant in Dec 7 to see it being built.

Not sure if this is the frame splice everyone is talking about. See attached photo.

Rob,
Thanks again for the fog light info, worked great.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn2083 View Post
Rob, Thanks again for the fog light info, worked great.

Jim
You are very welcome!

About where is the area you photographed? Being that an FK has the shortest wheelbase of the Seneca models, I wonder how that plays into the frame question?

I wonder why (for standardization) Jayco didn't use the same chassis wheelbase and just rearrange the interiors? Seems like that would have been "easier" than 3 different wheelbase numbers they use. Especially when you consider there is only 4" difference in overall length between the 5 Seneca models according to the 2016 brochure. Not like some of the Ford-based units that can go from low 20' range to 33' like my last Chateau. There I understand the need for varying wheelbases! But only 4"?

It would be nice if we could get an answer from one of the engineers at the Motorized Division to clear this up once and for all, inquiring minds want to know!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #17

The picture is about 3 feet before the door for the coach or about 9 feet before the rear axle.

Jim
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn2083 View Post
Hello Everone,

Great information on this forum.

I have a Seneca 2016 FK w/air brakes, the chassis was built in 7/13/2015 and the coach was built 12/7/2015. I went to the plant in Dec 7 to see it being built.

Not sure if this is the frame splice everyone is talking about. See attached photo.

Rob,
Thanks again for the fog light info, worked great.

Jim
Well that is super obvious. My 2014 has nothing like that or any evidence of frame modification at all.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
Sam

Jim, thanks for the photo, it gave me something else to look for. That said, I again mounted my creeper and went from the front axle to the rear axle, both frame rails, and I am quite sure there is no evidence of a stretched or modified frame. I was careful to look for something that is depicted in your photo, nothing. I agree with Mr.Oz, that is "super Obvious".

I enjoy this forum and the discussions, it is very informative. Thanks for all the input.
Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #20

That's exactly the same splice as my '14 37RB. Never was comfortable with it. So it seems the RB and FK had the splice and the TS and FS don't?