Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

2016 29ME Greyhawk Generator

Hello All, We just purchase a new to us 2016 29me GH. It is a Presige model with all the toys and had only 3500. ( yes 35 hundred) miles on it from the original owner.. Sadly you all know how that happens.

I don't have all the manuals and wondered about the genny.

Does it run off the truck chassis fuel ( gas) or is it LP? Also I somewhere on a video clip on web pressing and holding off button before you start it is priming incase it has been sitting. Is that true ?

Also is this 110/220 genny or is it 110 only I was thinking it would be 220 for the AC

Any tips you can share would be helpful Along the way.. thanks
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #2

Assuming Onan generator? If you pull the front cover off, there is a label identifying the model. You can download manuals.

Generally the fuel supply is supplied from the truck fuel supply.

The prime function (pressing stop) is needed when the carb is empty of fuel.

When starting the gen, try without priming first; just press the start side of the button (or whatever your configuration). If it doesnt start in a reasonable about of time, lets say 10 seconds. Then try the press of the stop side of the button to prime the carb. Then try again to start. If it doesnt start, you probably need to pull the spark plug and check for saturation with fuel. Replace if so. Dont run the starter too long, 30 sec is max.

Dont have experience with 220V systems, but assume gen is 110V, as well as your AC unit(s).
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

It's a 4000 watt(30 amp) 110v generator.

Yes it runs off the mh gas tank and will shut down when the tank gets to 1/4. That is done so you can't run the tank dry if boondocking and get stuck some place.

Yes you push the stop button to prime the fuel system for for 10/15 seconds or longer before pushing start. Once in a while it takes a couple tries.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Odds are you will have initial problems with the generator due to the low usage. Those things need to be run an hour or two every month under 1/2 load to keep it from gumming up the carb. Running it also gets rid of moisture buildup.

Priming it by holding down the switch in the off position just runs the fuel pump. It is not feeding gas into the engine so don't worry about over priming. You want to have the carb bowl and fuel lines full.

Many people have had to replace their carbs due to gumming up from lack of use. I don't think it is hard to do. Others have tried Seefoam or other cleaners to clean the carb. These carbs aren't made to be rebuilt so if they gum up most often your only course is to replace it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

Change the oil!!!

What Jim outlined, happened to me on our 2016 Greyhawk - the genset card was solid gunk. A new one -- at the Cummins dealer -- was $750. I wish I had had time to DIY it or take it to a *authorized* dealer.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys.. It been very helpful our last coach was 25 years ago and our coach had an onan but it ran off the Propane on board the bus.. crazy for even then.

my coach is at the storage place and I have been visiting once every 2 weeks and exercising the generator, A/C ( so it has a little load on it) and truck given I havent been able to travel for a couple months due to long lasting covid challenges and not being able and restricted from driving by the Doc.

Hopefully to get it out and on the road soon.

Unfortunately I visited the coach today to find out we now have problem not seen previously with a delaminating wall near the right rear window.. ARGH well yippee on to another challenge.

Friggen Jayco is really pushing every nerve button I have left.. This thing was a dam expensive coach.. I though we would never have this problem ARGH
Old 07-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by expoman55 View Post
Friggen Jayco is really pushing every nerve button I have left.. This thing was a dam expensive coach.. I though we would never have this problem ARGH
Could it be the previous owner didn't maintain it correctly???? I think so!

The roof and all caulking is to be inspected & sealed twice a year, so that's 10 inspections.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

Good to know..we have owned it less than 6 months so not something I thought that was so urgent given it is so new so to speak.. but I guess it is ancient in coach terms given it is a 16 making it 5 years old and even though it only had a few miles. its still exposed to the elements..
Old 07-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by expoman55 View Post
even though it only had a few miles.
My dealer cringed when a low miles MH came in. They normally had the most problems due to "no use" and the issues were never caught. I traded two that were 6 years old and both had over 50,000 miles and it never affected the trade value.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #10

I can surely understand it. Like when people park brand new cars in the garage to invest in them and never run them after. We were moving and needed a coach in a rush last fall and this popped up on our home town. honestly didnt get on the roof until I bought it as the Woman selling it had sold all her husbands stuff as she was down sizing. Coaches especially in new like condition. I was hoping with my last experience that the tech has improved so a 5 yr. old even outside should have been hopefully 'ok' there were no signs of rodents inside underneath or in compartments or engine bay and it appeared good but these little things ( delam isnt so minor ) Argh We will take it to the original selling dealer and see if we can get some assistance.. but maybe it won't deteriorate any further also.. it isn't terrible but noticeable to me anyway.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #11

We're in a 2016 and it's held up well. The fiberglass roof helps a bit. You may be fine.

On the generator front, I *just* got back from a visit to my local authorized Cummins/Onan mechanic. I had an intermittent "ticking noise". We pulled the valve cover and the valve rockers needed adjusting. Once adjusted and buttoned back up the unit, it runs quiet and well.

He said that with only 250 hours on this one, it was new in 2018, that that's a bit early - but he's also seen them with 1000 hours before adjusting the valves.

We pulled the plug - more carbon that you'd expect for 250 hours too. Oil was good/clean. Air filter was dirty enough to replace.

The other thing we discussed was the missing vent in the door. He too thought that it would be a good idea, especially if we travel in hotter climes. So that's on my to-do list - punch a vent hole in the door.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #12

Hi , I’m new in that group
Looking for some answer
About a Small Propane generator, is it toxic to use it In Patios attached to the house
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
Hi , I’m new in that group
Looking for some answer
About a Small Propane generator, is it toxic to use it In Patios attached to the house

Perhaps - it will create Carbon Monoxide. It will make LESS than a gasoline powered generator, but it will make some.

If the patio is well ventilated and you have a CO monitor (or two) then I would be OK using it. Under supervision.