Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

2016 31FK Auto Level Issue

Sorry for the long winded story, but wanted to provide all the details...

Took our 2016 31FK for our first trip of the year this past weekend. We fired up the generator and leveled out the coach using the Auto Level button on our Equilizer System hydraulic levelers with no problem (as we have done everytime). This was the 3rd time we had leveled the coach this year since taking out of storage. We retracted the jacks on Sunday with no problem and home we went.

On Sunday afternoon, we wanted to give the inside a good cleaning, so we went to level it out to put the slide out. Hooked up to shore power (thru our EMS) at home (as we always do). Hit the auto level and things worked fine, front jacks came down and the hydraulics stopped, the rear jacks came down, touched the normal blocks we use but then the hydraulic motor didn’t stop running (but the jacks stopped moving). So all four jacks were down, the hydraulic motor sounded like it was running but the RR jacks were not moving.

I hit the auto level button again and the system stopped. From here I was able to move all the jacks indepentantly using the up down controls at the panel. So the hydraulics still all function with no problem, but the auto level does not. I hit the retract all button and everything retracts as normal.

I tried a few combos of simple things, turned off the main coach power, reset the Parking brake, turned on the ignition but no luck. I pulled the control panel out and made sure the connector was set and did the same under the coach at the hydraulic motor. I thought it may have lost its level position, but the fact that it doesn’t even get to the “leveling” part of the procedure has me scratching my head.

I’m stumped (other than hoping I let it sit a few days and it magically works, which is always a possibility! Lol). The system works manually so that’s good, but the auto level is a feature I want to get back working.

I am going to call the supplier of the levelers but figured I’d ask here first.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

If you have bigfoot levelers unplugging the control panel for a few minutes is useually the cure all. Also the house battery needs to be fully charged even if you are plugged in to shore power.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Trying resetting the null. Procedure is in the manual. Sounds like the level sensor needs to be recalibrated. I used the unit one day and it was worked perfectly then moved the rig ten feet and tried to auto level and two passenger jacks kept going. Had to run to get it to stop. Reset the null and it has worked fine since.

Only thing I don’t get is that you said the back jacks did not move with the pump running. That could be a result of a valve leaking but It would not work on manual either.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #4

I've had a similar problem when it was cold outside. Any time the temps dropped below about freezing, the rear jacks would not raise. The front would (maybe a little slower).

Of course, I made an appointment at the dealer to take a look at it and now that the temps have warmed up, it works just fine. Was told initially that it may have been a sticking front valve, or a bypass valve staying open and not allowing the system to build pressure. If the pump continues to run, something is stuck open.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

You may need a new controller...sounds like it's losing the auto settings. Like others have said try and reset the auto level per the manual. If that doesn't work it's probably the controller.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote