Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

2016 Grey Hawk vibration issue

I was ready to buy a GreyHawk ME but when I did the test drive at between 55-62 miles per hour there was a noticeable loud noise. I didn't notice vibration...but wondering if this is the vibration issue that i'm reading about on 2016 Jayco class Cs? How serious is this problem?
swenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

swenrick, I too have experienced the same loud noise/vibration while my foot is on the gas pedal at about 60 MPH on my 2016 Greyhawk MV. It seems to go way when coasting. I would like to hear from any owner that knows more about this. I think I will take it to the local Ford dealer to be looked at.
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #3

I spoke with a representative at Jayco today. He told me there was in issue with the 2016 Ford drive train. Any Jayco approved Ford dealer should be able to fix the problem...something about re-balancing the drive shaft. To all 2016s were effected, but they are out there.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. That would have been my guess. Is there an online list of Jayco authorized Ford dealers?
Butch C
Old 09-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

I know I'm speaking the obvious - but you'd better get everything in writing. And check in with that "Jayco approved Ford Dealer".

The modifications and driveshaft were done by MORryde for Jayco. I'm not sure if the Ford dealer would expect to be paid for the rebalance.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I know I'm speaking the obvious - but you'd better get everything in writing. And check in with that "Jayco approved Ford Dealer".

The modifications and driveshaft were done by MORryde for Jayco. I'm not sure if the Ford dealer would expect to be paid for the rebalance.

X2
Lots of people involved: Ford, Jayco, MORryde, Dealer, and swenric. Get it in writing.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Sounds strange to me, why doesn't the dealer get this fixed before they show it to anyone. As others have said to many companies involved, each will point a finger some other way and the poor buyer is stuck and unhappy. I would not buy it till its fixed.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to a Jayco rep this morning. He was quite knowledgeable about the issue and said they had fix in the way of "kit". They are sending the kit directly to me and instructed me to use a Ford dealer to install it. He also emailed detailed instructions on how the kit should be installed. After the work is done I am suppose to email the charges (receipt) back to the Jayco rep for refund.
Butch C
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Well....I didn't buy it. Dealer lost the sale. I'm going to look at a 2017.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch C View Post
Thanks for the advice. I spoke to a Jayco rep this morning. He was quite knowledgeable about the issue and said they had fix in the way of "kit". They are sending the kit directly to me and instructed me to use a Ford dealer to install it. He also emailed detailed instructions on how the kit should be installed. After the work is done I am suppose to email the charges (receipt) back to the Jayco rep for refund.
Butch C
Due diligence, Butch. I knew I liked you from your first introduction--it had nothing to do with UT. lol
Take care of what needs to be taken care of. Why leave it to someone else or look blindly at another possible can of worms and then have to deal with that.
If it were me I would also do the work myself and send them the bill.
Let me know if you need to borrow some shop tools.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

I read somewhere the later 2016's and 2017's are fixed. You should have no vibration issues. Good luck with your purchase! Other then the vibration issue, I sure like mine.
Butch C
Old 09-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #12

abarkl, thanks for the vote of confidence and the offer, but I am to old to be messing with suspension and drivetrain work. If I were 10 or 20 years younger I wouldn't hesitate. But I am leaving the labor up to the Ford boys, but Jayco will be reimburse me for the cost.
Butch C
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #13

Want to open up this post since all Ford chassis featuring the 6-speed tranmission (2015+ model year) may be suspect to this problem. We took delivery of a 2018 with a 2017 Ford Chassis build date. Heard audible vibration at 18mph and again at 62mph. We thought that this was fixed after the 2016s but after taking it back and forth to local dealer and Ford Truck repair garage without a diagnosis, we contacted Jayco directly. Yes still a problem on a small number of new builds.

They scheduled a 1-2 hour repair from their facility in Middlebury and got fixed. Learned a lot about the problem from Ford and what all RV manufacturers are doing to remedy the issue. If you want to know more... continue with thread.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Well my 2018 26xd did the same thing, hank Godness it is now fixed as of yesterday Re balanced drive shaft and re shimmed the complete drive shaft assembly.
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #15

Vibration

Just came across this and know I am not nuts!! Took this to dealer and they denied hearing it at 62-64 moh. Not real noticable to driver, but certainly discoverable by DH. Will pursue this further!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Just came across this and know I am not nuts!! Took this to dealer and they denied hearing it at 62-64 moh. Not real noticable to driver, but certainly discoverable by DH. Will pursue this further!
I would contact Jayco as others have to get the problem fixed. Your dealer isn't interested since this is a repair they can't do, sounds like it has to be done by Ford.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would contact Jayco as others have to get the problem fixed. Your dealer isn't interested since this is a repair they can't do, sounds like it has to be done by Ford.
X2 since many don't/can't correctly fix the issse
Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #18

Vibration

So to those that went thry Jayco and Ford and had the rebalancing done, did that fix the problem noise heard in the 60 mph range?
Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Jack could you tell us more about what you know or we're told about the problem ? Mines a 2017 and does it just very slightly at 60 mph only. It's just a small resonance, but I cruise at 58 mph usually not an issue, but I want it to be right if I can get my hands on that kit.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #20

Yes if done properly the audible noises should be eliminated. Ours was fixed though the vibration noise at 18 mph was worse than that at 62 mph