Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

2016 Greyhawk 29MV Impressions & Issues

A couple of observations on the 2016 Greyhawk 29MV which I purchased last year. (It was Used, but with only 2500 miles on it. I put another 2600 miles on it so far.)

1. Before doing absolutely anything else, get the front wheel alignment checked. It's pretty much guaranteed to be wrong, and neither Ford nor the RV vendor will take ownership of the problem. My front tires were just starting to wear a bit oddly, and the steering wheel was not centered. I had to go to a heavy-duty truck repair center, but they were very familiar with E-450 front ends, and $300 was worth it.

2. The single house battery is not enough. Dry camping over a single night with the propane furnace on and running the water pump for our morning showers results in a "Low DC Voltage" error code showing on the 2-Way refrigerator. I installed a new Group 27 wet cell battery and still have the issue. I'm still working on a solution. It 'might' just be a momentary voltage drop when the water pump runs...

3. I agree with others that the stock mattress is 'disappointing'. I replaced it.

4. Get a mounted spare tire. Roadmaster makes a very nice (but pricey) spare tire carrier that fits in the rear hitch receiver, but still allows towing.

5. Get a front-mount trailer hitch receiver. I use it for the bicycle rack. I also may move the spare tire up front too, but haven't done it yet.

6. The generator seems to always take a lot of cranking to start. It runs smoothly and evenly after it starts.

7. The backup camera which came with the coach is rather worthless, being hard to see from the driver seat and only showing a couple of feet back from the aft end. I mounted an aftermarket wireless rear-view camera.

8. The onboard GPS system has a loose connection somewhere and loses the signals from the satellites. I have not fixed this yet, but a small rap to the dash gets it going again.

9. Under the bed where the electrical converter, inverter, and transfer switch are located, there are many, many wires. Also there is a large penetration through the floor where a lot of wires come up from outside. The factory attempted to seal the hole around the wires with foam, but they were not completely successful. A mouse decided to make a nest with a whole roll of shredded toilet paper in that compartment among all the wires. (There is an easy path between the wiring compartment under the bed and the cabinet area under the bathroom sink.)
I cleaned out the compartment and all the wires look OK. I re-sealed the hole in the floor with a lot of 'Great Stuff' expanding foam sealant.

The first camping trip this year will be to the Bristol and then Richmond NASCAR races in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Ron & Dagmar Ream
New Freedom, PA
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post

6. The generator seems to always take a lot of cranking to start. It runs smoothly and evenly after it starts.

9. I cleaned out the compartment and all the wires look OK. I re-sealed the hole in the floor with a lot of 'Great Stuff' expanding foam sealant.
The first owner of ours gummed up the carb on the generator. A new carb was pricey but our generator fires right up in warm weather. If it's very cold out, or the gen is hot, then it'll crank a bit. But I usually do an 10 second prime and it catches quickly.

I spent 30 minutes under ours with a can of Stuff just plugging any and all the holes I could find.