Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #1

2016 Greyhawk 31FS - load limit (CCC)?

Would anyone happen to know the load limit (Cargo Carrying Capacity) of a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS?

I've searched high and low but I can't find it anywhere. Don't have access to the weight label at the moment.
Black Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Team

That'll be specific to each unit, depending on it's size and the options on it. Things like a generator, refrigerator size, recliners or couch, etc. will lessen the capacity. I think you'll have to check the label on yours to be sure.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

check this other thread on the subject...
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...31f-81514.html

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the link.

Looks like Jayco (as well as the other companies) don't like to advertise the CCC. I can only assume that they're afraid it will scare off potential buyers.

Seems like they load the RVs with so many options that the empty vehicle weight is very close to the GVWR.

I also noticed that they're figuring an average weight for passengers of about 160 pounds. That's even worse then the 175 pounds car manufacturers use - but they include luggage and apparel in that limit...
Old 11-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bear View Post
Looks like Jayco (as well as the other companies) don't like to advertise the CCC. I can only assume that they're afraid it will scare off potential buyers.
As JFlightRisk said a lot has to do with options etc. Also since they make mid year changes or modifications the finished weight can vary.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As JFlightRisk said a lot has to do with options etc. Also since they make mid year changes or modifications the finished weight can vary.
I suppose that's true, but some indication (even a range) would be most welcome.

For a MH that sleeps 8 or 9 you'd expect to be able to hit the road with at least 6 people. The math just doesn't seem to work out, though:

Code:
6 people @ 150 lbs         900
55 gallons of propane      231
1/2 tank of fresh water    125
1/4 tank black water        40
1/4 tank grey water         40
pantry                      50
kitchen gear                25
camping gear                75
clothes, etc (6 x 30 lbs)  180
miscellaneous              100
                         -----+
Best I've seen for a Greyhawk is 1,400 CCC. Even with a trailer this wouldn't really work since too much cannot be transported other than in the MH.

How do people deal with this? Overload and hope for the best? Take off the auto-levelling jacks? Leave the TVs home? The microwave oven?
Old 11-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #7

As a gallon of water weighs a little over 8 lbs, some of your calls may be off, just fyi...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
As a gallon of water weighs a little over 8 lbs, some of your calls may be off, just fyi...
I figured about 15 gallons of fresh water, but that's just a wild guess. It also doesn't account for a full tank for boondocking.

It's exceedingly frustrating that manufacturers are not publishing the OCCC / CCC / UVW.

I understand it's specific to each unit, but there's no way they could design and plan a build without having a pretty reliable idea of those numbers. At the very least they should be publishing a base number with a margin.

What I find even more baffling is that even the RV safety organization isn't publishing those numbers. It seems pointless to stress that overloading a MH is dangerous, but then not not provide the information people need to stay within the limits.

I'm tempted to set up a web site just for the OCCC / CCC / UVW / GVWR / GCWR for the many years, makes, models, trim, and options out there. However, based on the many hours I've searched for this information it'll be virtually impossible to collect this information.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #9

Because every little item added, deleted or changed on an individual unit will change the ccc. They have to adjust for every vehicle made by law. Only thing i do is not get crazy loading and don’t take more than you need and balance the load and run with it.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
I figured about 15 gallons of fresh water, but that's just a wild guess.
Propane is way off.....Gas tank is 55 gals and I'm almost positive that is already figured into the CCC. Propane is only 16.5 gals, 56 lbs at 80% capacity.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Propane is way off.....Gas tank is 55 gals and I'm almost positive that is already figured into the CCC. Propane is only 16.5 gals, 56 lbs at 80% capacity.
Lo and behold - you're right about the propane! I'd figured it was 55 gallons, but it turns out it's 56 pounds... Looks like I took the gas tank volume and used it for the propane (gas...).

Unfortunately, for boondocking I'd have to bring a full tank of water so the savings from the propane error end up covering for the water.

Code:
6 people @ 150 lbs         900
propane                     56
fresh water (33 gallons)   275
1/4 tank black water        40
1/4 tank grey water         40
pantry                      50
kitchen gear                25
camping gear                75
clothes, etc (6 x 30 lbs)  180
miscellaneous              100
                         -----+
We were looking at a Greyhawk bunkhouse, but we may end up having to settle for a Redhawk.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
Because every little item added, deleted or changed on an individual unit will change the ccc. They have to adjust for every vehicle made by law. Only thing i do is not get crazy loading and don’t take more than you need and balance the load and run with it.
Agreed, but I can't help but think that the manufacturers have detailed lists of what every item weighs.

I imagine they have many long meetings and discussions over what to add to stay competitive and what to drop or change to limit the weight penalty of new features.

For instance, the new Greyhawks apparently no longer have the dinette table lift. I suspect this was done to save on weight and not so much because people didn't like the lift.

On the other hand, some manufacturers don't seem to be too concerned about the UVW or OCCC. I've read stories about units where the UVW was just barely below GVWR. Others have found that the weight on the rear axle was so close to the limit that no amount of balancing could stay below it.

I just checked RVSafety.com, the web site of the RV Safety & Education Foundation. You'd think they would cover the subject in depth, but that's not the case.
Under the menu item "RV Weight" there is one (1) entry - a 90-second video. It talks mostly about balancing the load and "leaving the kitchen sink home", and to make sure you don't exceed the GVWR. OCCC isn't mentioned - let alone any indication that it's often far less than people assume.
There is also a section on the web site about weighing your RV, why it is so important, and how to do it right. But again, OCCC isn't even mentioned...

The big (unanswered) question remains what happens when the motorhome is overloaded. Many cautionary tales, much concern about increased stopping distance and blown tires, but also numerous stories about people who don't seem to be concerned about the load at all.

Then there are the questions about civil liability in case of an accident, whether the insurance company would provide coverage, and the possibility of fines and/or being forced to unload should the authorities determine you're overweight.

But again, no hard facts.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Agreed, but I can't help but think that the manufacturers have detailed lists of what every item weighs.
Units are weighed after production and that is when the CCC sticker is applied.. There is no way they can publish that info before hand.

As to overloading the same applies to any passenger vehicle. pick-up truck or any other non commercial vehicle, there are no regulations. You will find many of those on the road everyday.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
CAG

One of my least favorite sayings is "It is what it is" but fact is, that is pretty much what this RV weight thing is.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #15

Easy solution

Don't buy one

Lol
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #16

I also own a 2016 Grayhawk 31FS. Here is info on my rig:
GVWR:14500 lbs
Gross Combined Weight: 22,000 lbs
Therefore: 22,000-14,500 = 7500 lbs
Neil&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil&Anna View Post
I also own a 2016 Grayhawk 31FS. Here is info on my rig:
GVWR:14500 lbs
Gross Combined Weight: 22,000 lbs
Therefore: 22,000-14,500 = 7500 lbs
I believe the gross combined Weight include the weight of a tow vehicle, that which the tow hitch capacity it rated for. You will need to substract that amount from the 7,500 to get the net CCC which for a 31FS should be in the neighborhood of 1,500 lbs

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:52 PM   #18

I have a 2012 and there is a yellow sticker on the inside of the driver’s side door. It says the weight of the RV when it left the factory, and how much additional weight can be added. The factory weight includes full fuel and propane, no water, no passengers, and with equipment that was factory installed. I think I had 2,200# that has to cover passengers, food, water in the tanks, personal stuff, any dealer installed options, which in my case included a slide out cover. Gross vehicle weight limit on mine is 14,500 and I believe they are still 14,500 in 2016. This is in addition to the weight I am allowed to have in tow. In my case that is 5,000# but later some models have increases to 7,500#. Remember weight in tow is stuff that is on the ground behind your RV. Any hitch weight or tongue weight that is hanging on the rear of the RV needs to count in the 14,500 GVW
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #19

I use to have a 2017 31FS, and had nearly every option. With me, the wife, and adult daughter, 1/2 fuel, and our usual junk including tools we never broke 14,500 pounds. It is a heavy rig with it's twin slides,leveling jacks, 2 ac units, and Hellwigs. Those Hellwigs are on there so the butt of the rig gets some up help with the load. Don't get too freaked out over the weight. It'll handle it. Just don't exceed the weight ratings of the tires, and keep your speed down. Nobody ever came in here and said they snapped an axle or a frame but you need to be sensible with it, especially how you drive it. Make sure your tires are inflated right. Enjoy your rig.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
That's what I thought.....
tljwYaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccc, loaded weight