Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

2016 Greyhawk Auto Leveling Jacks

Can anyone tell me which manufacturer and model Jayco uses for the Greyhawk auto leveling system? I have a sloped driveway and am building some blocks to place under the front jacks in order to level the rig. I haven't taken delivery yet and am trying to determine clearance from the bottom of the retracted jack to the ground as well as the extended length of the jack (stroke?). I'll eventually get to the dealership and gather more info but if anyone can tell me which system Jayco installs (I've heard of Equializer and Bigfoot?) that would be helpful.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Our 2014 Greyhawk has Bigfoot levelers, but something in my erratic memory thinks I have heard that Jayco changed suppliers for the 2016s.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
WDW

You might wan to consider leveling under your tires. The levelers are nice, but in extreme / moderate slopes they raise the chassis a lot, especially in auto mode. My experience taught me the levelers provided more stability than anything else.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Jayco moved to Equalizer levelers on the 2016s.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

WDW, my plan is to use Rhino ramps to raise the tires first. That will give me about 6.5". Then use blocks under the jacks to get another 6-7". I need to raise the unit around a foot to get level.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Thanks Jopopsy, I thought that might be the case. Now I just need to figure out which model they use.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #7

I can't help with the identification of your levelers, but I can comment on raising a unit on a sloped driveway since I have that situation too.

My prior rig was a E-450 Ford-based Chateau with HWH kick-down levelers. I had to be very careful and securely block the rear wheels in addition to setting the parking brake (which was driveshaft-mounted) to keep the unit from trying to "slide" forward off the risers I set the jacks on. Like you plan to do, I used Rhino Ramps first then went up from there. More than once it tried to skid off the blocks nearly giving me a heart attack. It usually would happen after being raised when I was inside moving around. I soon discovered that I had to securely screw my riser pads together, when I just used separate pieces of cribbing they would slide around between the layers. I also painted the top and bottom of my blocks with non-skid paint to provide some additional "bite" between my concrete drive (bottom of riser) and the jack (top of riser).

One problem I had with the Chateau was that any forward movement tried to fold the jacks back to their retracted position. I'm sure that is a function of the HWH jacks being hinged so they can first "kick-down" and then extend. I don't know whether the jacks you will get on your new unit fold up for ground clearance or not. I don't have near the same issues on my current Seneca which has straight-acting cylinders. But due to my Freightliner rear air suspension I have issues when I lower my unit; it always tries to lurch forward so I still have to block its wheels securely.

I sure wish I had a flatter drive, should I move in the future that will be essential!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

Robbbyr, that's very helpful feedback. The jacks on the Greyhawk do not fold, they come straight down, probably just like on your Seneca. For my blocks, I plan on using 1 1/2" thick pieces of wood, which I will screw and glue together so they do not slide. Based on your advise, I think I will spray them with bedliner type paint to minimize slippage. Chalking the rear wheels and setting the parking break should limit any type of movement, like you said. Based on your experience, I'm pretty optimistic about getting the unit level enough in my driveway (or street which is also sloped) enough to run my fridge.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Exactly why I try to level it up too, for the fridge. Everything else I can deal with the slope!

Good luck, and I am sure you will enjoy your new unit. We have loved the motorhome experience for many years now ourselves!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote