Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

2016 Greyhawk Driveshaft issues?

Hey Gang,

I was going to purchase a 2016 29MV; had the color picked out and was ready to roll.

We found a drive shaft vibration running down the chassis around 60-63 mph. The dealer took it to Ford, Ford pulled the drive shaft and sent it off to a specialty shop that specializes in these things. I'm waiting for word on if it was simply mis-balanced or if there is something more serious wrong.

So - my dealer got ANOTHER 29MV in two days ago. I was going to switch over to that one and save some aggravation. My salesman took it out for a ride this morning; SAME THING.

So that's two. I'm going to 'hope' its simply a re-balance as the Ford tech said if that's the case, its easy to fix and he would have 100% confidence in buying it. I'm hoping its a re-balance since its happening to two already.

Drive your Greyhawks before you buy them. The chassis extender for Jayco might have missed a step. I hope its not something more serious than a re-balance.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

Strange. Your Greyhawk has JRide Plus which is supposed to include a balanced drive shaft. Admittedly that is an extremely long drive shaft, but it is still supposed to be balanced.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Yes I know. Something must be up w/ Mor Ryde or whatever its called. I'm really hoping its just a simple re-balance and not something else. Either way Jayco and Ford are both telling me it'll get fixed properly.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Would the heavier tow rating (frame reinforcement) possibly have anything to do with weight distribution on drive shaft ?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

No clue. I should know on Monday what the issue was. I'll let everyone know.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #6

i belive i read in one of your previous posts the 2016 has a new transmission. I wonder if that has something to do with the issue. Maybe something jayco or moyride did not account for and are using the older model driveshafts. Just seems strange that two brand new ones have the same issue.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #7

Just bought a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS and seem to have same issues. It's seems like when your getting it up to highway speeds it struggles a bit and makes a loud whining sound but then drives okay once you get up to speed (65-70). I did notice it doing it again when I got into some traffic but didn't seem like anything to take it back (yet). I'd be curious what Ford or Jayco says it is.
Steveii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

It's a known issue. I believe it has to do with the switch to the 6 speed transmission. There is a shim or something that has to be installed to correct the driveshaft angles/geometry on extended wheelbase applications.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #9

I purchased a Greyhawk 29MV about 12 weeks ago. We just returned from a 1,150 trip from Lafayette, LA to Kerrville, TX and back home. I drove speeds of 60mph to as high as 74mph in some instances. There were no vibration issues that we could detect. Because the coach had received a fresh alignment, it handled beautifully.

We are really please at the coach's performance....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

We have 2016 Greyhawk 31ds. This harmonic balance issue was in the 2016 models. Ours was corrected before we even test drove it. Has something to do when they extend the drivetrain for the length of the chassis. Easily corrected. Our maiden voyage was two weeks ago and it drove beautifully. Call Jayco customer service and they will direct you on what to do. Dealers don't seem to be very helpful when it comes to the chassis.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Got the drive shaft issue fixed. Ford changed the transmission on the 2016 models to a 6 speed which changed the geometry on the drive shaft according to Jayco. Jayco was not aware of the change and installed the drive shaft the way the 2015 models should be installed and is why the whining sound occurs. Jayco was very cooperative in getting it fixed. Basically said take it anywhere I want and they will pay for it. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they had to install a shim kit provided by Jayco to get the alignment corrected. The dealer should have known this was a problem and had it fixed. Not happy about that but now its fixed and drives like a dream. They paid for a front end alignment as well.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

We took our 31FK out for a good long test ride before we closed the deal and had no issues. Last weekend we took a short trip, about 60 miles round trip, mostly highway speeds and again didn't have any issues. We were paying close attention to this as we read about some people experiencing vibrating at higher speeds.
CJ46628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

I'm pretty sure they got it fixed on the newer 16 models. Mine was built in Oct-15. Not sure what date they got if fixed on but previous to Oct-15 I would assume all of them would have the same issue we did.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Our 31DS was manufactured in March 2016 and we have had no driveshaft issues. The steering alighment was off and Jayco reimbursed me the cost to get that taken care of.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #15

New poster here...

I am in the process of purchasing a 31FS Greyhawk. During the test drive of two different identical units I found this problem. It started around 60mph and completely went away around 70mph. We are waiting to see what the fix is, though it sounds like they are aware of the problem and it can be fixed.

When I would set the cruise @ 65mph it seemed more of a noise issue than a vibration, but the steering wheel was slightly shaking.

It also pulled to the right.

Waiting until it is all fixed before signing any paperwork. Dealership is being great about it though.

Mine was made in 08/15.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote