Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #41

Update

Our folding mattress from Amazon is installed. We spent the weekend in camper and it is a keeper. At over 6'4" it is nice to stretch out. The wife slept good as well. This is the folding mattress or topper as they call it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 60" x 80" and does fit with a few inches to spare with the slide out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new bed1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	44342

And this is the folding platform installed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new bed 4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	44343

The platform comes off and stows at the foot of the bed when the slide is in. Folding the head part of the mattress you have to get it past the shade and the shades guy strings but is pretty easy.

Edit. Forgot to mention we are still using a 2” topper as well for a total of 6” of foam.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #42

I tried to send a thanks comment but it sent before I could finish typing. Anyways, I was saying that we are taking our unit out in a couple of weeks and we will see if the repair works. It’s good to know that there is another mattress option out there, and an affordable one at that.
Sherbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbart View Post
I tried to send a thanks comment but it sent before I could finish typing. Anyways, I was saying that we are taking our unit out in a couple of weeks and we will see if the repair works. It’s good to know that there is another mattress option out there, and an affordable one at that.
It would be nice if the original mattress would work as designed and not have to worry about extra steps and carrying extra pieces to make it all work. It is nice for me though to sleep on a full size mattress.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Our folding mattress from Amazon is installed. We spent the weekend in camper and it is a keeper. At over 6'4" it is nice to stretch out. The wife slept good as well. This is the folding mattress or topper as they call it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 60" x 80" and does fit with a few inches to spare with the slide out.
Attachment 44342

And this is the folding platform installed.
Attachment 44343

The platform comes off and stows at the foot of the bed when the slide is in. Folding the head part of the mattress you have to get it past the shade and the shades guy strings but is pretty easy.

Edit. Forgot to mention we are still using a 2” topper as well for a total of 6” of foam.

PF
Forgive my confusion but the link says the mattress is 75” and you say it’s 80”...

I’m also lost as to how this corrects the slide offset under the mattress.

Last...I don’t comprehend how the extension works. Did I miss an earlier post that described all this??

Looking to “fix” my 2016 24K bed...

Thanks.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #45

Dennis did you see my post with how we fixed ours? I think PF made a platform from where the 9” is missing and went all the way down the bed (plus a couple of inches) eliminating the original ‘stepped’ folding bed that came with the rv. We just filled in the center section but still use a 4” topper on top of the mattress. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Dennis did you see my post with how we fixed ours? I think PF made a platform from where the 9” is missing and went all the way down the bed (plus a couple of inches) eliminating the original ‘stepped’ folding bed that came with the rv. We just filled in the center section but still use a 4” topper on top of the mattress. Looking forward to trying it out.

Sherb...I did see your post but not quite grasping what you do with the piece you added when the slide is in. Does it fold up over the end of the mattress or does it drop down off the end of the bed platform at the end of the bed?

Thanks...
Old 09-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #47

Dennis, we put 3 door hinges on it that allows the platform to drop down once the slide is pulled in. It stays connected to the original frame so that I don’t have to deal with it when in motion. We used peel-n-stick felt on the bottom to keep it from rubbing on the wood frame below HOWEVER, when you slide the slide back out, you will need to pick up the platform to keep it from getting stuck on the frame below, just until it gets started. I hope that makes sense. I’m including 2 of my pics. One shows it at the hanging angle and the other is looking directly at it looking into the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
205017AF-FD57-495A-9B22-AB102FE0F5F0.jpg   36C973D6-536B-4ED3-A4F8-8C1235102B6E.jpg  
Old 09-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
PF
Forgive my confusion but the link says the mattress is 75” and you say it’s 80”...

I’m also lost as to how this corrects the slide offset under the mattress.

Last...I don’t comprehend how the extension works. Did I miss an earlier post that described all this??

Looking to “fix” my 2016 24K bed...

Thanks.
Sorry for not giving more details and I forgot about the confusion I had with the Amazon Mattress before I ordered.
Down under "Technical Details" it is listed as 80 x 60 x 4 and that is the size I did receive. The 75" dimension is a misprint or should be on the twin or full models. There were a couple other choices for this style bed and some of the dimensions are different. I think I saw in one of the questions about the size and they verified this one was a standard queen 60 x 80.

The platform/extension is 1/2" plywood. There are strips of wood screwed underneath to make up for the offset in the slide and the fixed base. When I started this thread I either didn't read the tape measure right or the gap has closed because it was 2-3/4 when I first posted and now it is just 2". A 2 x 2 is actually 1-1/2 x 1-1/2. That plus the 1/2" plywood was just right. I would check yours and verify before using my dimensions. The platform/extension is 2 ea 19" x 60" 1/2 " plywood hinged in the middle. My slide is 40" deep and the fixed base is 31" when the slide is out is a total of 71" and the mattress is 80". The platform/extension is 38" so that leaves a 7" overhang of the platform/extension over the fixed base that is not supported. My original plan was to add 2 folding legs as support at the foot but during a test fit found they weren't needed. I hope this clears it up but if not let me know.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Sorry for not giving more details and I forgot about the confusion I had with the Amazon Mattress before I ordered.
Down under "Technical Details" it is listed as 80 x 60 x 4 and that is the size I did receive. The 75" dimension is a misprint or should be on the twin or full models. There were a couple other choices for this style bed and some of the dimensions are different. I think I saw in one of the questions about the size and they verified this one was a standard queen 60 x 80.

The platform/extension is 1/2" plywood. There are strips of wood screwed underneath to make up for the offset in the slide and the fixed base. When I started this thread I either didn't read the tape measure right or the gap has closed because it was 2-3/4 when I first posted and now it is just 2". A 2 x 2 is actually 1-1/2 x 1-1/2. That plus the 1/2" plywood was just right. I would check yours and verify before using my dimensions. The platform/extension is 2 ea 19" x 60" 1/2 " plywood hinged in the middle. My slide is 40" deep and the fixed base is 31" when the slide is out which is a total of 71" and the mattress is 80". The platform/extension is 38" so that leaves a 7" overhang of the platform/extension over the fixed base that is not supported. My original plan was to add 2 folding legs as support at the foot but during a test fit found they weren't needed. I hope this clears it up but if not let me know.

Ok now I got it. Last question...applies to Sherbart as well...does this extension leave you any room to get “into” the bedroom and around the end / edge of the bed or are you left crawling into bed from the end??
Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Ok now I got it. Last question...applies to Sherbart as well...does this extension leave you any room to get “into” the bedroom and around the end / edge of the bed or are you left crawling into bed from the end??
We crawled in from the foot on both old and new. In theory the original bed is a partial walk around but we both crawled in. With the new set up I am able to step over the corner on the passenger side but the tv makes it a little awkward . The only reason I know is that is where I took one of the pictures. The drivers side is a little wider and I may be able to step over but I have never tried. There is maybe 2-3 inches from the foot of the new mattress to the wall. The way the new bed is folded it is possible to sit on the bed now when the slide is in. The wife thinks she may be able to read or nap while the slide is in but she hasn't tested it yet.

There are shorter Mattress options that might give you some room. I made the platform/extension so that it falls 2" shorter than the length of the mattress so that we wouldn't bump our legs on the wood (mattress overhangs 2" over the platform/extension). A 78" long mattress with maybe a 34-36" platform/extension might give you enough room the squeeze by.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Dennis, we put 3 door hinges on it that allows the platform to drop down once the slide is pulled in. It stays connected to the original frame so that I don’t have to deal with it when in motion. We used peel-n-stick felt on the bottom to keep it from rubbing on the wood frame below HOWEVER, when you slide the slide back out, you will need to pick up the platform to keep it from getting stuck on the frame below, just until it gets started. I hope that makes sense. I’m including 2 of my pics. One shows it at the hanging angle and the other is looking directly at it looking into the bedroom.
I like your solution.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #52

I’ve opened ours up and it’s filled with a bunch of controls. You might be able to move some stuff around and create a storage space.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #53

24k under bed space

Quote:
While we're talking about the bed, has anyone opened the paneling under the foot of the bed/mattress to see if there's is useable storage in there? Previous Class C had the under bed storage and it was awesome. I've just not taken mine apart yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve opened ours up and it’s filled with a bunch of controls. You might be able to move some stuff around and create a storage space.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #54

Has anyone thought about using a piece of styrofoam for the spacer at the foot of the bed. They have thick sheets at building supply stores.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #55

Final bed fix 24k

Here was my fix. A non folding mattress just makes for a way more comfortable nights sleep. Ending up wrapping up the crappy OEM and stored it away. Wanted to chunk it but when I do sell the rig, best to have the original, no matter how hated it was.

FINAL BED FIX 24K
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...fix-57182.html

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Here was my fix. A non folding mattress just makes for a way more comfortable nights sleep. Ending up wrapping up the crappy OEM and stored it away. Wanted to chunk it but when I do sell the rig, best to have the original, no matter how hated it was.

FINAL BED FIX 24K

So you are sayings non folding mattress folds enough to come in with the slide? I’ve wondered about that since getting our 24K
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post

FINAL BED FIX 24K
You were my inspiration. Just took my time doing it.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
So you are sayings non folding mattress folds enough to come in with the slide? I’ve wondered about that since getting our 24K
Yes - 6" memory foam did the job. Doesn't look too pretty with the slide in but we have used it numerous times and no defects yet to the mattress. Also the lower platform I built doesn't slide when in use so I don't need to secure it with screws. One less step during set-up.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #59

Interesting idea using the folding mattress pad. I have one in our Texas home, but never thought of one for the RV - may be an option to explore....thanks for posting it!
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote