Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

2016 Melbourne 24K folding mattress

I own a 2016 Melbourne 24K class C and have had issues with the folding mattress after about 5 nights. Thanks to many who put up with my complaining about it except for Jayco Customer service. Jayco customer service or warranty service has been great the few times I have called until last month and this mattress issue. When the mattress is unfolded, there is about a 8” x 2-3/4” gap where the mattress folds come together. Below is a crude drawing so that those with other models can see what I am talking about.
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	33866
I have called and asked if I had gotten the wrong mattress within the first 3 months of ownership and I was told it was the correct mattress. I have what I thought would be a temporary fix to the problem and just bring it up with all the other warranty issues after 1 year of ownership.
Here are the pictures I sent Jayco and the angles they requested. This was in addition to other issues after 1 year. The dip in the bed is a lot worse while you are laying on it.

Name:	BED 3.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	33867

Name:	BED 4.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	33868
Here is the response I got from Jacob at Jayco. My dealer forwarded the response.
Thank you for the picture. This is actually by design because it is a foldable mattress this is something that is going to happen. What I would recommend for the customer would to be to get a mattress topper to help out with this. Like I mentioned though because this is a foldable mattress this is actually by design but we have had people get a mattress topper and it has seemed to help resolve this for them.

So I asked the dealer to forward my response.

Good morning Jacob,

So are you saying these are designed to fail? After about 5 nights? I’m not an engineer but the bed could still have been a folding mattress without a 8” x almost 3” cap close to center. Do you know what thickness mattress topper this bed is designed for? I can tell you by experience a 2” does not do the job. I was hoping this was just a simple mistake and they pulled a mattress designed for another model.

Here is what my dealer said Jacobs reply was.
I got a response from Jayco and they said that it was designed by Mastercraft to work in the Melbourne. Jayco does not manufacturer it. He suggested that you could pursue it with Mastercraft and see if they had any information that they could provide you with, as such as topper size, etc

Mastercraft says that Jayco designed it and they build them to Jayco's specs. So any of you in the same boat I wish you would bring it up if you have any warranty issues and maybe if enough complain we can get some action or maybe so future owners don't have to put up with this bad design.

Here is my work around. It means I have to carry around and stow the 2 x 4 and the 3/4 plywood strip while the slide is in. The thin hardboard stays under the mattress all the time and rests on the 2x4 and plywood for support when the slide is out.

Name:	Bed fix 1.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	33869

Name:	bed fix 2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	33870

2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I own a 2016 Melbourne 24K class C and have had issues with the folding mattress after about 5 nights. Thanks to many who put up with my complaining about it except for Jayco Customer service. Jayco customer service or warranty service has been great the few times I have called until last month and this mattress issue. When the mattress is unfolded, there is about a 8” x 2-3/4” gap where the mattress folds come together. Below is a crude drawing so that those with other models can see what I am talking about.
Attachment 33866
I have called and asked if I had gotten the wrong mattress within the first 3 months of ownership and I was told it was the correct mattress. I have what I thought would be a temporary fix to the problem and just bring it up with all the other warranty issues after 1 year of ownership.
Here are the pictures I sent Jayco and the angles they requested. This was in addition to other issues after 1 year. The dip in the bed is a lot worse while you are laying on it.
Attachment 33867
Attachment 33868
Here is the response I got from Jacob at Jayco. My dealer forwarded the response.
Thank you for the picture. This is actually by design because it is a foldable mattress this is something that is going to happen. What I would recommend for the customer would to be to get a mattress topper to help out with this. Like I mentioned though because this is a foldable mattress this is actually by design but we have had people get a mattress topper and it has seemed to help resolve this for them.

So I asked the dealer to forward my response.

Good morning Jacob,

So are you saying these are designed to fail? After about 5 nights? I’m not an engineer but the bed could still have been a folding mattress without a 8” x almost 3” cap close to center. Do you know what thickness mattress topper this bed is designed for? I can tell you by experience a 2” does not do the job. I was hoping this was just a simple mistake and they pulled a mattress designed for another model.

Here is what my dealer said Jacobs reply was.
I got a response from Jayco and they said that it was designed by Mastercraft to work in the Melbourne. Jayco does not manufacturer it. He suggested that you could pursue it with Mastercraft and see if they had any information that they could provide you with, as such as topper size, etc

Mastercraft says that Jayco designed it and they build them to Jayco's specs. So any of you in the same boat I wish you would bring it up if you have any warranty issues and maybe if enough complain we can get some action or maybe so future owners don't have to put up with this bad design.

Here is my work around. It means I have to carry around and stow the 2 x 4 and the 3/4 plywood strip while the slide is in. The thin hardboard stays under the mattress all the time and rests on the 2x4 and plywood for support when the slide is out.
Attachment 33869
Attachment 33870

Wow...we have a 2016 24K and we have nothing like this. I can't even imagine trying to sleep on that mess. I've thought about buying a topper just for more cushion / comfort, but have no idea how it would work since the mattress has to be folded up every time the bed is pulled in.
Good luck winning a battle against a company that doesn't appear to give a crap about what owners have to deal with after we buy their stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Wow...we have a 2016 24K and we have nothing like this. I can't even imagine trying to sleep on that mess. I've thought about buying a topper just for more cushion / comfort, but have no idea how it would work since the mattress has to be folded up every time the bed is pulled in.
Good luck winning a battle against a company that doesn't appear to give a crap about what owners have to deal with after we buy their stuff.

What does yours look like?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

Same horrible issue, I just rigged up a support. Used some 1.0" (3/4") furring strips. The dims after wrapping with a cheap ol fleece blanket (about 6-7 wraps) was 3-1/4" Tall, 9-1/2" Wide and 58" long. Cut in half and added some hinges for easier storage when traveling. Sad this is the norm but maybe it isn't for all 24K owners....?

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	33881

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	33882

On another note, almost got the couch finished. Still need to paint the base.

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	33883

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Same horrible issue, I just rigged up a support. Used some 1.0" (3/4") furring strips. The dims after wrapping with a cheap ol fleece blanket (about 6-7 wraps) was 3-1/4" Tall, 9-1/2" Wide and 58" long. Cut in half and added some hinges for easier storage when traveling. Sad this is the norm but maybe it isn't for all 24K owners....?

Attachment 33881

Attachment 33882

On another note, almost got the couch finished. Still need to paint the base.

Attachment 33883
Nice on both projects. I may copy your bed fix. I was thinking of cutting the wood so that they could double as a slide lock if I ever needed one.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:

Our 2017 Melbourne 24L also has a folded mattress. Not experiencing any of the issues noted by Pfflyer. We did add a 3" memory foam topper as the mattress is much too hard for both of us. It made a huge difference and the topper folds up okay with the topper. Just have to hold the mattress folded when retracting the slide.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

We have the same mattress. Put a memory foam topper from Costco (3") on it and slept well during our 6 week trek to Alaska earlier this summer. Did have to cut off several inches with a bread knife...
But I agree, it is a poor design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

I still say 3 large pool noodles are the answer. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to slip under the mattress, the perfect length, they slide right out when the slide is retracted, and they're easy to store while traveling. But what am I saying...why do we need to think about pool noodles under a mattress. It really is a bazaar design!!!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
What does yours look like?

Ok, let me eat my words.
Ours is exactly like that...I had no idea. I guess I thought it was different because I'm the worlds worst sleeper and imagined if it was like you described I'd never be able to sleep on it. Boy I look foolish!
I think it must be because the "gap" is under my legs, so I don't notice it. Sorry for adding any confusion by my first statement. Just glad I'm not bothered by it.
The spousal unit and I are gonna "fill the gap" as an experiment to see if we notice it then.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Our 2017 Melbourne 24L also has a folded mattress. Not experiencing any of the issues noted by Pfflyer. We did add a 3" memory foam topper as the mattress is much too hard for both of us. It made a huge difference and the topper folds up okay with the topper. Just have to hold the mattress folded when retracting the slide.

Curious about your memory foam topper...is there a density rating? I'm struggling to see how I could fold the mattress with an added 3" on it. Do you fold the foam back before you slide the bed in (seems like a PITA to destroy the bedding every time)?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
I still say 3 large pool noodles are the answer. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to slip under the mattress, the perfect length, they slide right out when the slide is retracted, and they're easy to store while traveling. But what am I saying...why do we need to think about pool noodles under a mattress. It really is a bazaar design!!!

Did you split the noodles in half or leave them as is?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
We have the same mattress. Put a memory foam topper from Costco (3") on it and slept well during our 6 week trek to Alaska earlier this summer. Did have to cut off several inches with a bread knife...
But I agree, it is a poor design.

How dense is your foam topper? How big a pain was it to deal with the topper when putting the bed away every day?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #13

While we're talking about the bed, has anyone opened the paneling under the foot of the bed/mattress to see if there's is useable storage in there? Previous Class C had the under bed storage and it was awesome. I've just not taken mine apart yet

Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

No, we just fold the topper along with the mattress. The only difference is we have to hold the mattress folded while the slide is retracting. Remember, we have a 25L with the one big slide that covers the bed area, the closet, and the dining area. When we extend the slide we just have to slightly adjust the sheets and bedspread.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
No, we just fold the topper along with the mattress. The only difference is we have to hold the mattress folded while the slide is retracting. Remember, we have a 25L with the one big slide that covers the bed area, the closet, and the dining area. When we extend the slide we just have to slightly adjust the sheets and bedspread.

Ah dang it...I missed the model difference but the end result ought to be the same going both directions. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
How dense is your foam topper? How big a pain was it to deal with the topper when putting the bed away every day?

It is the memory foam, I call it a marshmallow. So it isn't real stiff, bends easily. It's a bear to transport due to its weight and how bendable it is. We did have to put the bed in the folded position each morning if we were traveling that day, but I just push it up out of the way as the slide comes in. The BIGGEST pain in my opinion is putting sheets on the darn thing.

pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:

Our topper is 3 inches thick. It folds up very easily when we fold the bed to retract the slide. The mattress alone is too hard for my wife and me so we went with the 3 inch topper. We had the same question you did but decided, regardless we would go with the topper so we could get some decent sleep on the 24L mattress.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

To answer the pool noodle question, we did not cut them. Three large ones fill the gap in the bend perfectly as is and are the full width of the mattress. A pool noodle costs about $2 and weighs nothing, so it might be worth your try just to see if it helps. They're also easy to store when the bed is retracted - just stand them up in the corner of the bedroom. A memory foam mattress feels like mush to us...we don't like that trapped, squishy feeling of a memory foam. We've tried them on other RV non-bend mattresses, and we didn't like it on them either (as a matter of fact, we have a collection of 2" to 4" queen-sized toppers rolled up in our basement). They're also very heavy and bulky, in our opinion. We've never really had a camper with a decent mattress except for our Little Guy, which was nothing but mattress!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
While we're talking about the bed, has anyone opened the paneling under the foot of the bed/mattress to see if there's is useable storage in there? Previous Class C had the under bed storage and it was awesome. I've just not taken mine apart yet

No storage room to speak of, just a mess of wires, running helter/skelter.
Seems like no pride in workmanship in infrequently viewed areas. Same comments apply to wiring beneath the coach (and elsewhere??)

Rudy & Claire Peters
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrc2 View Post
No storage room to speak of, just a mess of wires, running helter/skelter.
Seems like no pride in workmanship in infrequently viewed areas. Same comments apply to wiring beneath the coach (and elsewhere??)
I agree with the mess. I thought about adding some shallow drawers in the front but storage space isn't a problem for us. I would like to make all the space in the entertainment center over the cab a little more friendly and usable.