Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

2016 Melbourne 24K Slide out motor location

Hello all,
I've searched the forum and can't find any previous information concerning the location of the slide out motor for my Melbourne slide outs. Nothing wrong (yet) just wanting to be prepared in case it happens.

Does anyone know where the slide out motors are located...or how to override them in the event of a failure?

Thanks and happy camping.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #2

I just purchased a 2019 redHalk 25R, no one seems to know the exact location not even the dealer! Looking at the manual, from the outside of the rig, facing the slide out, it shows most of them on the left hand side. I do have a storage compartment right there and when I opened it, on the ceiling of it was a panel cover with 4 Phillips head screws. I’m assuming that’s it. Haven’t taken it apart yet. I’ve been told some might also be in the bottom of a dinette bench seat also. But mine wasn’t.

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Team

What you are doing will be very helpful in the future. Knowing your rig will help you feel more comfortable when using it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

These should help you. I haven't located the controllers yet but thanks for reminding me to look again.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

There appears to be 2 motors. I carry cut pieces of 2 x 4 in case I need to do a manual override. I have watched several in-wall slide videos and I don't remember seeing the electronic override feature before. If you know where your controllers are could you post it. I think I saw the bed slide controller behind a panel on the drivers side night stand but I am not sure.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post

These should help you. I haven't located the controllers yet but thanks for reminding me to look again.
Thanks PF...I've emailed Jayco Customer Service asking for any drawings they can provide. Since they were very willing to provide electrical and plumbing schematics, I'm hoping they have something for the slide motors.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

In my 2017 Melbourne 24K they are underneath the bed, along with the power panel, auto transfer switch and a rats nest of wire. You need to extend the rear slide, remove the mattress, remove a very thin panel and then remove the plywood cover and Voila the nest.. Sounds like a lot but very simple.
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord60 View Post
In my 2017 Melbourne 24K they are underneath the bed, along with the power panel, auto transfer switch and a rats nest of wire. You need to extend the rear slide, remove the mattress, remove a very thin panel and then remove the plywood cover and Voila the nest.. Sounds like a lot but very simple.

Gord,
I’ve been in that spot, looking to see if there was any usable storage being wasted.
If mine is there, I didn’t realize I was looking at the slide motor, so I’ll check again.
I will say I’d be surprised if BOTH motors are there, but I can see the possibility the bed slide motor is.
Thanks!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Gord,
I’ve been in that spot, looking to see if there was any usable storage being wasted.
If mine is there, I didn’t realize I was looking at the slide motor, so I’ll check again.
I will say I’d be surprised if BOTH motors are there, but I can see the possibility the bed slide motor is.
Thanks!
The dinette slide controller may be under the bottom of the cupboard under the sink and I believe it is accessible by removing the cover in front of the furnace, you will also find the controller for the stabilizers under here, I believe I saw the slide controller in there??
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord60 View Post
The dinette slide controller may be under the bottom of the cupboard under the sink and I believe it is accessible by removing the cover in front of the furnace, you will also find the controller for the stabilizers under here, I believe I saw the slide controller in there??

Great tip, I’ll look and confirm. Thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

The motors sit on the slide track as shown in the videos. He meant the bed slide controller shown in the video with the blinking lights is under the bed. Wonder what one would do if the bed slide was stuck in the in position?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #12

I have a Lippert slide out and I bought a spare motor just in case it fails while I'm on the road and I'm sooo glad I'd did because if you think you'll get one overnight your only kidding yourself. If your ready to leave the camp ground because your going to work tomorrow or that space your in is booked for that night your SOL !!! Your going to find out theirs more than one style with the same model # as I did.
As you can see from my picture that I have a Machine Screw and that's because Lippert sent me a motor that wasn't threaded ( same model # some are and some aren't ) so it's pot luck when you get it and you'll need it yesterday. I had to pay a machine shop to do it and it took 3 days because they have other things to do besides your project.
It's just a spare and if I never need it that's great but so far in 5 years I've seen 2 campers
that needed one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

Tunce, You can’t manually override your slide out with a crank or a drill?

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I have a Lippert slide out and I bought a spare motor just in case it fails while I'm on the road and I'm sooo glad I'd did because if you think you'll get one overnight your only kidding yourself. If your ready to leave the camp ground because your going to work tomorrow or that space your in is booked for that night your SOL !!! Your going to find out theirs more than one style with the same model # as I did.
As you can see from my picture that I have a Machine Screw and that's because Lippert sent me a motor that wasn't threaded ( same model # some are and some aren't ) so it's pot luck when you get it and you'll need it yesterday. I had to pay a machine shop to do it and it took 3 days because they have other things to do besides your project.
It's just a spare and if I never need it that's great but so far in 5 years I've seen 2 campers
that needed one.
That motor looks different from those shown in the In-wall system.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
That motor looks different from those shown in the In-wall system.
Yes it is and I mentioned that it's a Lippert motor and you'll find them on at least 50% of our TTs. It is possible that your in wall motor could also have some slight changes to it just like mine and not fit or fasten correctly just like mine.

I can bring mine in manually but when your moving to several locations it would get old real fast and if I never use it I can always sell it.

The point I'm trying to make is Lippert sent me the correct model but it was still wrong. You'll find that they change manufacturers for a lower price and these mistakes happen and were the ones that are sent the wrong part.