Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

2016 Redhawk 26XD Fresh Water Sensor Not Reading

Can anyone give me some tips of what to do...we are wanting to go boon docking, and we filled our fresh water tank up (NOT GREY WATER TANK) and our panel is still reading empty. It's not showing any water in it, so do i need to clean my sensors? If so, how do I clean my sensors? I don't want to change the panel out...just looking to see how to clean my sensors first....can I pour distilled vinegar into the hole of where my water hose goes, then pour the rest with water?? Any tip or suggestion would be great...
irresistible72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irresistible72 View Post
Can anyone give me some tips of what to do...we are wanting to go boon docking, and we filled our fresh water tank up (NOT GREY WATER TANK) and our panel is still reading empty. It's not showing any water in it, so do i need to clean my sensors? If so, how do I clean my sensors? I don't want to change the panel out...just looking to see how to clean my sensors first....can I pour distilled vinegar into the hole of where my water hose goes, then pour the rest with water?? Any tip or suggestion would be great...

Have you checked the wires going to the sensors to see if they are connected properly? Do your other tanks’ sensors read levels?
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

The grey and black sensors are reading just fine. It's just the fresh water one not reading properly.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

Chances are, it is a wiring or grounding problem with that tank. Check your wiring and check the back of the panel for wiring at the switch.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #5

Most likely on your Redhawk, the FW tank is exposed and you can see the sensor wires. Most likely you have a bad connection (I believe it is the lower wire) as it is common with all the sensor points.

Ultimately it really does not matter. When I really want to know how much water is in my FW tank, I grab a flashlight and put it up to my tank and slide it up/down, and visually look at the water level.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I agree with the others above. It definitely sounds like a wiring issue to the sensors on the tank. The only way to know is to slide under the rig, and visually look at all the connections on the 4 sensors.

Keep in mind, many of these rigs start having "Ground" issues on the 12 volt systems after a few years. Seems, these connections start corroding after a few years, and can actually break off.

So, I'd suggest, when you slide under the rig, also look for some bundles of White wires attached to the frame in a few areas, and check to make sure they are making a good connections.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Thank you for your replies. We are going to get under it this weekend and see if we can tell if the ground wire and others are lose. I’ll post our findings when we get it figured out. Thanks so much!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

PROBLEM SOLVED!! Got underneath the motorhome and wouldn't ya know what we found?! The red wire was broke or chewed in half and the white wire was damaged, so my husband fixed both wires and we filled up the fresh water tank, and it started registering water. Thank God we found all of your information on this site. I am sure we saved some cash! Thank you!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Ahhhh, I love when a plan comes together!!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Me to! Thank you for helping me ��