Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Question 2016 Seneca 37HJ - Compressor Noise

I picked up a 2016 Seneca 37HJ a week or so back, and one of the first things I noticed (as in what the heck did I just hit!) was the sound of the air compressor coming online. The clatter of that unit will get your attention when running or stopped (especially when stopped!). Think of a guy with a wrench beating the inside of a big metal fire extinguisher with the bottom removed. This is my first diesel, so I am basically looking to confirm that it is normal for the compressor to be significantly louder than the motor.

I took the unit in for some maintenance at Freightliner (passenger door window won't go up, slow leak in air system, work glove pinched between the air bag & bracket (yea really), and I asked them about the noise. I was told that the Freighliner is "chatty". They would gladly look at it, but if it turned out to be normal, I would be charged a $150 diagnostics fee. This really bugged me, so I figured I would ask other owners if they have noticed the same thing.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

I have a 2014 TS, not sure if the air compressors are the same but I suspect they are.

I very recently had my unit at my local Freightliner dealer for service (oil change and filters) and asked them to also look at my rig because of the noisy compressor when running loaded. The Service Manager immediately informed me that our Cummins engines with the Wabco compressor are known to be noisy, but they would be happy to have the technician listen when he was performing the regular service. As suspected, the unit was normal according to the technician. There was no charge for their inspection of my complaint. My unit has only been in-service since March of this year so it was written up as a warranty item. However the technician did find an air leak right at the compressor, they had to change a gasket and now I can hold air for days instead of just hours. Again, no charge, a warranty repair. But the compressor sounds exactly the same as before the gasket, so it must just be "the nature of the beast".

My dealer is Young Truck Sales in Canton, OH. Just after I bought my unit this past march they did the parking brake and seat belt recalls that my unit required. I was quite impressed with their professionalism as compared to most car dealer service centers. I decided to then purchased all the parts I needed for a factory Freightliner fog light install directly from them. I installed all the parts myself and took it back to Young's to have the body module "flashed" to enable the smart switch for the foglights. They only charged me $50 to do that, which I thought was reasonable. I won't hesitate to use them for chassis work in the future.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Robbyr, you said - "and took it back to Young's to have the body module "flashed" to enable the smart switch for the foglights."

Can you explain "flashed"?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

The noisy compressor was the first thing I noticed when the Seneca was running. It's louder than the engine. Freightliner said it was normal. It is annoying to spend that much money and have it sound like the engine is knocking ready to blow.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Regarding the foglights - Freightliner uses their "SmartPlex" multiplex wiring system to control various functions, and in may cases even optional functions (such as fog lights) are built into the system just not enabled. Once I obtained and installed all the necessary components, the fog light function has to be turned on using the Freightliner ServiceLink software. Took less than 15 minutes for the Tech to plug into my diagnostic port (under the dash by the steering column), scroll to the option, and then enable it.

They are OEM and function perfectly. They do help light up dark roads closer to the front of the unit than the low beams hit. Not as much help at expressway speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light view.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Passenger Door Window...same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wducat View Post
I picked up a 2016 Seneca 37HJ a week or so back, and one of the first things I noticed (as in what the heck did I just hit!) was the sound of the air compressor coming online. The clatter of that unit will get your attention when running or stopped (especially when stopped!). Think of a guy with a wrench beating the inside of a big metal fire extinguisher with the bottom removed. This is my first diesel, so I am basically looking to confirm that it is normal for the compressor to be significantly louder than the motor.

I took the unit in for some maintenance at Freightliner (passenger door window won't go up, slow leak in air system, work glove pinched between the air bag & bracket (yea really), and I asked them about the noise. I was told that the Freighliner is "chatty". They would gladly look at it, but if it turned out to be normal, I would be charged a $150 diagnostics fee. This really bugged me, so I figured I would ask other owners if they have noticed the same thing.

Bill

What did they find on your window? My 2014 37FS has the same problem and I need to take it in.

Thanks
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #7

I had the same window problem. The window side brackets were to tight, they adjusted them and the window works perfect now. Covered by Freightliner warranty.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Mine got a new regulator and window switch. Now the drivers side window is working very slow and sometimes it quits working completely.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info. I am reserving judgement on my local Freighliner dealer for now as I want to see how this first visit wraps up. They told me that I would hear back with an assessment on Monday or Tuesday. Was also told it could take them a month to do the repairs, but there were multiple people giving me info. Lot's of talk, will see how things really work out
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Hey guys. Had same issue with compressor noise. Took to Hans Frieghtliner in Cleveland. He said noise was normal but not having an air dryer is NOT. Jayco went on the cheap and did not install. Major problems coming as the system will rust from the inside out. Had one installed and boy is it nice. Highly recommend.
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristopher View Post
Hey guys. Had same issue with compressor noise. Took to Hans Frieghtliner in Cleveland. He said noise was normal but not having an air dryer is NOT. Jayco went on the cheap and did not install. Major problems coming as the system will rust from the inside out. Had one installed and boy is it nice. Highly recommend.
You have a pre-'16 Seneca without air brakes? Can you give us any more details on how they added the dryer? Big$$?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #12

My question is "How is it nice"?

Does it function well?
Can you see it?
How do you know its nice?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
You have a pre-'16 Seneca without air brakes? Can you give us any more details on how they added the dryer? Big$$?
It is a '16 with all air. About $1500 to install air dryer. Did my homework and everyone said to do it. Hard to think Jayco ordered without. Great system.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #14

To have full air brakes and not have an air dryer seems to border on negligence in my opinion. I can't believe Freightliner would build a air brake-equipped chassis without a dryer in the system. Are we sure there isn't a desiccant cartridge dryer in the system downstream of the compressor in the 2016+ units? Anytime you compress air it gets hot. Then as the air cools after leaving the compressor moisture in the air will condense. More moisture in damp climates, less in very dry. But some regardless. And also the air also can contain oil vapor (from the compressor) that also will condense.

On my hydraulic brake-equipped Seneca 100% dry air isn't as critical, but it still might cause issues later with internal corrosion of items like the the height regulating valves that inflate the rear air springs. But there are numerous components in a modern ABS-equipped air brake system that I believe could be harmed by moisture-laden air. But what is really scary to me is what might happen in subfreezing weather with moisture in the system.

In my early years as a firefighter we had some older fire trucks that did not have a modern, blow-down air dryer. Every single day right after shift change the rookie on your fire company would have to get on a creeper and go under the truck to bleed down the air tanks to remove the accumulated water. It was shocking to see how much oily water would come out. By then the manufacturers were putting dryers on the new trucks; and soon after our department's mechanics retrofitted them on the old. They didn't do it to make the rookie's life easier, they did it for safety and to prevent damage to the system components.

Something sure doesn't seem right here IMHO.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristopher View Post
It is a '16 with all air. About $1500 to install air dryer. Did my homework and everyone said to do it. Hard to think Jayco ordered without. Great system.
Did they note what type of dryer they installed, Bendix, Haldex, Wabco, etc.? Did they also tell you that the dryer desiccant cartridge would need to be replaced periodically?

Sorry to pester, but this thread really has me curious.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #16

Agreed

Robby:

I could not agree more nor could I have said my concerns post learning of the same more succinctly.

As a result, I did my "homework". First I researched the necessity of the air dryer and confirmed all that you have set forth and I suspected. Second, I called Jayco and spoke with them at length and on several different occassions. They confirmed that such was the Jayco order profile (e.g., without air dryer) and that Freightliner said that with the new, automatic purging such was not needed.

Unwilling to place my or others families at risk, I invested in the same. $1,5000 later very happy I did.

I would strongly recommend that each and every person owning a 2013 Seneca or newer look into this for all the reasons you cited and more. I do believe a $1,500 investment is money well spent here.

As for Jayco, not where I would chose to go "cheap". In time, this could prove ugly! I certainly conveyed this to them; not sure it registered.

Hoping all is well my friend. Thank you for all your amazing posts. I followed your advice and placed a 10 gal Atwood XT into service. The Girard was JUNK!

Thanks and God bless.

Tom
Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #17

It is a Webco and yes, they instructed interval for cartridge replacement to coincide with my annual Oil Change which I will have them handle.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #18

That is why I am so fond of this forum, friendly exchange of good information. And in this particular thread, safety and long-term reliability related.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention; even though I don't have air brakes I feel mine should have a dryer too. We plan to keep our unit for years, and that money would be cheap insurance as compared to a road call who-knows-where when something vital fails.

I'm very lucky in that I have "skills" and the ability to ask my former fire department's mechanics their professional advice on how I should proceed should I tackle this myself. Or I may just call where you took yours and have it done. It isn't that far away.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #19

Rob:

Makes sense. I simply did not have the time nor the know how (past my pay grade). Han's did a super job. Really good guys.

I hope Jayco re-thinks this idea. It makes no sense to me. I have alerted them.

By the by, love your "extra" installs. Mine was to put in 64' of undercarriage, multi-colored LED flat strip lighting. It is simply awesome. when sitting outside, we put it on and have in fade in and out of colors. Amazing ground effects that all passing by comment on. Also, I did not know this but apparently bugs/mosquitos cannot see red thus on buggy nights we just put the red on with no attraction to the pests.

Be well.

Tom
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #20

Air brake Dryer

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. We purchased a 2016 Seneca HJ37 and have had it into Freightliner repair a couple of times: 1) compressor noise -- told it was normal, 2) passenger window would not go up -- fixed under warranty and most recently 3) unusual noise that is evidently coming from compressor system. Issue 3 is still under repair. The repair shop replaced one of the air tanks because it was already rusty. That didn't fix the noise problem so they did a complete inspection and found there is no dryer for the compressor. BIG ISSUE. They said not only is it not normal to not have a dryer, it's very dangerous as the moisture can freeze up the brake lines if running in cold weather. We are feeling very lucky that this was discovered before we make a trip over any mountains this fall.

Jaycee not only went on the cheap, I'm being told they went Dangerous. Is the repair shop blowing this out of proportion or is the brake line freezing a real possibility?

Shawn
Ham Lake, MN
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, noise