Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

2017 31FS added shower pan support

I felt there is too much give on the shower pan, which I worry could loosen or crack the drain, so I added additional support to shore it up.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1502745016

When you open the compartment at the floor, what you see is a 4 inch duct. You need to bisect this duct to do the job, then repair it later. It's helpful to remove the vent to the right so you can get your right arm in to assist. It's easy to re-attach.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/attachment.php
attachmentid=34087&stc=1&d=1502745391

This is what it look like underneath there, and that's where the issue is.
Underneath the shower pan there is 1 inch of foam, and underneath that is a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. Jayco provided 5 standoffs made of 2 by 3 wood, two at the shower head side, two in the middle, but only one on the back right. What I added was one very much needed on the back left.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1502745922

The supports are just shy of 6 and a half inches. I put some glue on the end and I think they'll stay. The job is hard because it's very busy under there, and access is so limited. Your working in a small space with the toilet at your back.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1502746302

Next up repair the duct. I admit it was hard to cut into that duct on a new rig, but the repair went well and now I have a very solid feeling shower pan, and hopefully won't get drain issues.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1502746490

The repair isn't pretty, but it's effective. Hope I won't have to go in there again.
I wanted to do each picture with the wording underneath. Sorry bout that. If any of you folks can show me the right way to do that much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0121.jpg   IMG_0113.jpg   IMG_0116.jpg   IMG_0120.jpg   IMG_0119.jpg  

t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #2

Nice! I've been tempted to do the same but haven't quite gotten there yet.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

I thought about removing that whole panel. It would make the job so much easier and better. If I ever have to get under there again I think that panel could be carefully removed and put back in place. Go in with a Rockwell or a Fein tool and cut the brads.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

On mine the support was towards the spicket side and when someone put weight near the drain it popped off the drain pipe. Water everywhere! So I managed to squeeze my arm in there and reposition the support.
So poorly engineered. Just another ridiculous Jayco lack of quality.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Nice work. We had the same issues with our Melbourne 24L. Thankfully, our dealership handled the restructuring under the shower pan under the warranty. Did you also have an issue with the shower wall beginning to separate from the wall?
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #6

That HVAC tube was in the general area of where the 6th support should of been. That's probably the excuse for not doing it, but it (the support) still needs to be there. I just put it behind it and added another toward the middle also. It can't keep flexing without breaking something eventually. I didn't have an issue with the shower wall because it's a brand new rig. But yes, I'm eyeing up that surround because it just looks too low to me. Was thinking if I could do a little shower curtain around the top as a splash guard. That'll be next.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

Finally got around to it today. Opened the access panel under the shower, removed the outlet duct, pulled the flex hose through the access panel hole, and added four pieces of 2X4 for reinforcement. It's better, but I can see where it will never be really solid due to the Styrofoam between the shower pan and the piece of 1/2" plywood.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

I know what you mean Don, but I think it will be good enough that the drain won't break. There's about an inch of clearance from the bottom of the trap to the floor, so that's no problem. My real wish is to start from scratch and redo the whole thing right. Just hope that I won't need to. If it ever fails I'm gonna take the whole unit out and do a real shower, with a little more elbow room too.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

Yeppirs, from what I see, the only way to do it up right would be to use a piece of 3/4 plywood with at least a dozen supports. I would also eliminate the Styrofoam possibly replacing it with plastic film to to stop any chance of condensation.

But for now, like you said, it's gonna have to be good nuf. Too intrusive to do otherwise.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #10

My shower pan had a hairline crack develop in it - my dealer pulled it and reinforced the bottom. I don't know what they did, but it didn't flex after I got it back.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
My shower pan had a hairline crack develop in it - my dealer pulled it and reinforced the bottom. I don't know what they did, but it didn't flex after I got it back.
Ouch, that's exactly what I was afraid of and is the main reason I beefed it up a bit.