Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #1

2017 37 TS need help from modification GURU's

My 37TS has the 2 flopping conduits from the living room slide, over the battery tray then into never never unsupported land. I saw a post a while ago about a solution to this but I have nether the equipment nor talent to weld etc.
So, my theory was to build a trapeze(see pic) hung from the underbelly of the motor home for the conduits to rest on as they retract.
I used short(5/8" lag bolts to mount the trapeze to the underbelly and it worked just as planned. Then I had the great idea to test the strength of the unit and gave a slight tug on the horizontal portion of the trapeze and down it came. While there will never be any real weight on the trapeze, I am not comfortable with how easy it came down.
My question is how is the underbelly and interior floor constructed? Is there a space between the two layers, I assume they are 2 separate layers. What is the material the underbelly is made of and how thick is it. Can I use longer lag bolts or can I use some sort of Molly Bolt to give me more strength

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2926.jpg  
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

Usually just the black covering 1/8 luan and block foam. Here's the 2012 brochure that shows the floor construction.

https://www.jayco.com/files/download...lename_183.pdf
Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
My 37TS has the 2 flopping conduits from the living room slide, over the battery tray then into never never unsupported land. I saw a post a while ago about a solution to this but I have nether the equipment nor talent to weld etc.

So, my theory was to build a trapeze(see pic) hung from the underbelly of the motor home for the conduits to rest on as they retract.

I used short(5/8" lag bolts to mount the trapeze to the underbelly and it worked just as planned. Then I had the great idea to test the strength of the unit and gave a slight tug on the horizontal portion of the trapeze and down it came. While there will never be any real weight on the trapeze, I am not comfortable with how easy it came down.

My question is how is the underbelly and interior floor constructed? Is there a space between the two layers, I assume they are 2 separate layers. What is the material the underbelly is made of and how thick is it. Can I use longer lag bolts or can I use some sort of Molly Bolt to give me more strength

TIA
2014 37TS I discovered when fastening into the floor from the bottom that some areas seem to be foam covered with black fabric other areas seem to have wood behind fabric. I prodded with an awl to find the solid area to screw into.
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

By reading a floor print, it’s pretty much an aluminum Frame, pockets filled with foam with some 2x4 And 1/2” plywood blocking here and there, then covered with 3/8” OSB top and bottom, then bottom is covered with a sheet of Corona-RV (woven plastic sheet) what you lagged into was probably just the 3/8” OSB which doesn’t hold screws very good. You didn’t mention the diameter of the lag bolt used but I am thinking this type of drywall anchor might work, they are suppose to support 50lbs which should do the trick and for insurance, maybe mix up some epoxy and smear the outside of them and then screw them in. If you want to add some extra support maybe use some “L” brackets and bolt to the bottom of the legs of your bracket a bend them to screw to a sidewall.

I am the one who fixed mine by making a clamp on trolly that runs in a ball earring lineal slide and it has been working great. I did attach the slide rail using eternabond double sided tape and small #6 screws and it has held great.
Attached Thumbnails
95D40D6D-CFF7-4FB1-89F3-A87E935E45E8.jpeg   AF9560C0-A843-40A9-81C4-4DD0114F8EC6.jpg   35FA2838-D536-4D4D-8207-3FEC3891BF4B.jpg   BE7F3D1E-757A-4154-ACD6-0411FA911622.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #5

Rustynuts
where your conduits go thru the floor, are they fixed or allowed to float up and down. Mine float I guess to accommodate the slight tilting of the slideout as it first starts to extend. Also, is there anything supporting the conduit at the bottom of the ell where it penetrates the floor.
Thanks for the idea of the drywall anchors.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Rustynuts
where your conduits go thru the floor, are they fixed or allowed to float up and down. Mine float I guess to accommodate the slight tilting of the slideout as it first starts to extend. Also, is there anything supporting the conduit at the bottom of the ell where it penetrates the floor.
Thanks for the idea of the drywall anchors.

Well when I first started dealing with this, one conduit was strapped tight to the flange on the slide and one had nothing on it. I decided that they should be secured tight and I set the height to tighten them down with the slide closed so they were in alignment with the holes in the sidewall. This does flex the conduit as the slide floor drops into place at full extension but at the full length extended I felt there was enough flex in the conduit to be fine. If you look at this pic, I have a metal plate on the inside of the sidewall and the conduits run through a plastic bushing. Its a terrible setup and I think I saw a pic posted the other day that the wires are now run along a hinged arm that folds out as the slide is extended. Our old 2007 Winnebago had the hinged arm setup for the propane line for the fridge in the slide....maybe Jayco is catching up finally
Attached Thumbnails
35FA2838-D536-4D4D-8207-3FEC3891BF4B_LI.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote