Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

2017 DS, Hydraulic Leveling System - Mount Failure

I remember when this recall came out and contacting my dealer for repairs, only to be told that Jayco had not yet developed a repair plan but to immediately stop using my motorhome. It was the off season at the time and not a big deal since I had parked the coach for the season. I had forgotten about it when the next season rolled around but was reminded by a second recall notice. The pandemic was in full swing and getting an appointment was next to impossible, so I blew it off.

I was later reminded of the recall in a big way when the mount failed completely on a recent 2,000 mile trip to Glacier National Park. Fortunately the only damage was to the ground cable dragging on the pavement which is how I discovered the failure when the leveling system would not turn on. I was able to strap the unit to the frame rail with a racket strap and continue our trip. And with a pair of vise grips, clamped what was left of the ground cable to the frame to be able to continue using the leveling system (pic attached).

Aside from my shortcomings to not get this addressed in a timely manner, I have to say that the reason for this failure is inexcusable on Jayco's part. The C channel which mounts to the pump/motor/reservoir assembly was relying on a single weld at the 90 degree joint to the 1/4" vertical flat stock welded to the vehicle frame. The web of the channel had not be welded to the flat, which would have prevented this failure (pics attached.)

I contacted my dealer and was told that they first have to assess the unit to determine if repairs are required and if so, are warranted under the recall. Also was told that it will be 3 weeks before they can make this assessment. It will then take a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for parts to be received from Jayco and the repairs to be made by the dealer.

I'm not willing to give up the rest of the season for this BS so I'll fix it myself. I'm an engineer and an experienced welder from back in the day and have all the equipment and material to make the repair when I get back from my trip. I would, however, be interested to see the Jayco fix so I can decide if I want to match their spec. and not have a potential issue if and when I sell the coach. If anyone has had the recall done and can share pictures, I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks!

Edit: Coach is a 31DS
Attached Thumbnails
Hydraulic System Straped to Frame.jpg   Hydraulic Mount Failure 2 RS.jpg   Hydraulic Mount Failure 1 RS.jpg  
COClassyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

There is a thread for the recall, lots of pics there

Got mine done, bummer you forgot about it and yours busted
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Jayco has been through a couple of revisions of the repair bracket. This is one of the later ones.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf jayco recall 20v-548.pdf (1.45 MB, 34 views)
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Jayco has been through a couple of revisions of the repair bracket. This is one of the later ones.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
COClassyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Does anyone know if this recall is still being performed ? Thanks
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #6

I am still waiting on my dealer to do the recall on my 2018 Greyhawk, says he is still waiting on parts. In the meantime I tied my pump assembly up to the frame with nylon rope in 2 places…
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
Does anyone know if this recall is still being performed ? Thanks
It's always ongoing if u qualify

It's a national recall, I kept getting an airbag letter for 2 yrs in my Pilot..lol

So yes, untill u do it or sell it, it's still being performed
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote