Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

2017 e450 super duty will not start

Not getting fuel to engine. All fuses good. Battery good. Spray wd40 into breather and starts but will not run. Can't hear fuel pump in tank. Disconnected battery and reconnected. No indicator lights on dash. Any ideas please.
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have an E450, but the last time we camped next to a Ford that wouldn't start, it did turn out to be a fuel pump fuse under the hood. Also, the fuse connection had arced, and had to be cleaned up before the new fuse would make a good connection. I hate to think the fuel pump went south on you. Sorry I'm not much help on this.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

Here's a couple things to check. First is the inertia switch. It disables the fuel pump if it detects a hard hit like an accident. Sometimes a pothole can set it. On my old rig you could just reach over the plastic in the footwell of the passenger side and press a button to reset it. The other thing is the fuel pump relay. Look in the fuse box and locate it. Then rap it a few times with the plastic end of a screwdriver and sometimes that will free it up. Then replace it. Google the location of both those things.

This shows a Ford inertia switch.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I don't have an E450, but the last time we camped next to a Ford that wouldn't start, it did turn out to be a fuel pump fuse under the hood. Also, the fuse connection had arced, and had to be cleaned up before the new fuse would make a good connection. I hate to think the fuel pump went south on you. Sorry I'm not much help on this.
Thanks all. Apparently this model doesn't have a inertia switch. Checked relays by swapping them around and no change. Ford will cover towing because it's still under warranty. Makes me very nervous to have someone tow it. Closest dealership that will work on it is 135 mi away.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduck100 View Post
Thanks all. Apparently this model doesn't have a inertia switch. Checked relays by swapping them around and no change. Ford will cover towing because it's still under warranty. Makes me very nervous to have someone tow it. Closest dealership that will work on it is 135 mi away.
Glad to hear you're not eating the tow charge. Please check back when it's fixed, and let us know what went wrong. It may help someone down the road.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;772121]Glad to hear you're not eating the tow charge. Please check back when it's fixed, and let us know what went wrong. It may help someone down the road.[/QUOTE
Ok final report on no fuel to engine. Kept poking around in the fuse box under the hood. Found one fuse labeled fuel pump and another labeled fuel pump diode. Had checked all fuses yesterday and probably tried to start it 50 times. Pulled those fuses, cleaned them reinserted with no expectations of the engine starting. Well, she fired right up and has done so several times since. Hopefully the problem is fixed, time will tell. Thanks to all for help and suggestions. As usual a great forum.
BDUCK
Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;772121]Glad to hear you're not eating the tow charge. Please check back when it's fixed, and let us know what went wrong. It may help someone down the road.[/QUOTE
Ok final report on no fuel to engine. Kept poking around in the fuse box under the hood. Found one fuse labeled fuel pump and another labeled fuel pump diode. Had checked all fuses yesterday and probably tried to start it 50 times. Pulled those fuses, cleaned them reinserted with no expectations of the engine starting. Well, she fired right up and has done so several times since. Hopefully the problem is fixed, time will tell. Thanks to all for help and suggestions. As usual a great forum.
BDUCK
Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

IF it happens again try one at a time then try and start it. You’ll be able to determine which one has a “bug up its butt” and can replace it. I’d order a new diode and make sure you have a replacement fuse. FYI, you can buy fuses that light up when blown, I use them on my TV in the locations that create a no start situation. I know yours didn’t blow just some information.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
IF it happens again try one at a time then try and start it. You’ll be able to determine which one has a “bug up its butt” and can replace it. I’d order a new diode and make sure you have a replacement fuse. FYI, you can buy fuses that light up when blown, I use them on my TV in the locations that create a no start situation. I know yours didn’t blow just some information.
Thanks Colorado, not sure what a diode is or where to put it but great advice to have replacement fuse and diode on hand. Great idea for lighted fuse to indicate blown status. Small things like this can make a huge difference.
BD
Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Bduck100, thanks for the update, and glad it turned out to be an inexpensive fix. Must be it never had to be towed?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #11

No towing needed thankfully. My biggest fear was more problems created by towing. Amazing how much we can learn from the forum and trial and error. Thanks again.
BD
Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
Site Team

You're welcome. Pay it forward, sometime.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD