Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Angry 2017 Grey Hawk 29W water tank problem

My water tank has 3 overflow tubes coming out of it. After filling it to when the overflow tubes tell me it is full, the tank bleeds down to the 2/3 full mark, never allowing a full tank of water to be available. The overflow tubes siphon off the water until the tank seeks its own level. Also, when going down the road water is constantly coming out of the overflow tubes. There has to be a cure for this; our dry camping time is quite limited because of the decrease in tank capacity. I have a real problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

In the 8 months I have owned this Jayco, I have contacted Jayco, by email, previously concerning 3 other matters, and I have never received a reply to any of them, yet have always received an auto return e mail stating that my message was received by them and an answer will be forthcoming.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #2

This appears to be a fairly common issue, search "inside pex diameter" or just "water overflow valves" Basically people install valves the overflow line and close them prior to moving the rig. They then open them when they arrive at their stop.

If you plan it right you will not have to crawl under the rig and can open and close the valve on the side. Just be sure to have the valve open when filling to prevent overflowing in the wrong place.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply

Thank you, but I have already done this, and when I open the Percocet, it still empties the tank to 2/3 full. I'm thinking that if I can get the petcock above the tank, it might not siphon down. The only problem is where to put the valve without having 3 unsightly tubes running up the outside of the coach. Any suggestions? What valve would you suggest and where to place it that will allow enough air to enter to keep the tank from collapsing due to a vacuum situation?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Can you get any height over the area where the vent comes out of the tank? Hard to describe but you could try something like the way kitchen island sinks are vented. Google kitchen vent to see if you could modify something like that. Depending on the layout on your coach you might be able to use some space behind a refrigerator. Basically you provide an air source at a point above the tank. This should stop the siphon if it is truly siphoning. Is it possible the overfill has a dip hose that is extending the the tank? Hope this helps my two cents worth.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Percocet
Typo???
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Can you get any height over the area where the vent comes out of the tank? Hard to describe but you could try something like the way kitchen island sinks are vented. Google kitchen vent to see if you could modify something like that. Depending on the layout on your coach you might be able to use some space behind a refrigerator. Basically you provide an air source at a point above the tank. This should stop the siphon if it is truly siphoning. Is it possible the overfill has a dip hose that is extending the the tank? Hope this helps my two cents worth.

I certainly thank you for your reply and concern for my issue. I have been working with this for a while, now, and have decided to alter the valve that I originally installed near the tank drain valve. I believe, that even though the overflow tubes for the tank are on the top, that there is still a siphon effect going on, in order for it to drain down to 2/3 while just sitting there. So, I am going to use another drain configuration that I put together (hopefully I can upload a picture of it for you to see) and am going to mount it higher, level with the top of the water tank, yet where I can turn the valve without crawling under the coach. If this works, then I am in fat city and my dilemma is over. If not, then I am going to have to figure out how and where I can locate the valve to make it even higher, above the tank, be in a place where I can activate the valve and still be able to use the overflow without getting water where it can damage anything. We'll see !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

You could install a vacuum breaker on the overflow line. That will solve the draining of the tank. A quick google search will have tons of results to pick from.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

This manifold looks like it should work and the suggestion of a vacuum breaker is a good one. Up sizing the piping might also help as it will allow air to get into the system and break the falling water. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

Without a vacuum breaker this manifold will still siphon out the tank as soon as the valve is opened. You need a vacuum breaker above the tank to stop the siphon. It doesn't need to be a store bought siphon break, you could install a "Tee" at a high point and pipe that down too (a valve should not be required, but can be added if you like). To break the siphon air needs to be introduced at a high point.

Also of note. Leaving the valve closed on the manifold or any vent for that matter is not a good idea. Without a vent, the pump will cause the tank to collapse.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
Without a vacuum breaker this manifold will still siphon out the tank as soon as the valve is opened. You need a vacuum breaker above the tank to stop the siphon. It doesn't need to be a store bought siphon break, you could install a "Tee" at a high point and pipe that down too (a valve should not be required, but can be added if you like). To break the siphon air needs to be introduced at a high point.

Also of note. Leaving the valve closed on the manifold or any vent for that matter is not a good idea. Without a vent, the pump will cause the tank to collapse.

Thank all who have helped me with some great ideas. I'll be back when it is solved to let you know what and how it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

I had a similar problem with my 2017 Redhawk 26X1. Did the manifold thing with the overflow tubes and then ran a vent hose to a marine vent fitting beside the water fill. This gets it to a higher level and stops the siphoning. Seems to work well so far and you don't have to monkey around with valves or plugs.
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #12

Your floor plan is very similar to mine. Can you please elaborate and explain to me the installation and exactly how you accomplished it, where you mounted things, what you used, etc., so I can duplicate it on my 29W. This is really a situation that needs to be fixed, since I do so much dry camping. I am really perplexed as to how to fix the problem that should not exist, in the first place. If you will, please get back to me with complete details, and I will be eternally grateful. I'll hold off doing anything more until I hear from you. Thank you for your original reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #13

Hi gprapim!
I just ran the 3 overflow hoses into a manifold like the picture above. The overflow hoses are 1/2 inch. My manifold is 1/2 inch threaded CPVC the white stuff. I put a 5/8 hose adapter on the end of the manifold and ran a 5/8 hose to the back of the RV. All of the hoses I supported by using nylon tyrap hooked to whatever I could. At the back of the RV I found that by drilling one hole I could route the 5/8 hose to the compartment where the water selection valves are also where the fill fittings are. I went to my local marine store and bought a marine vent like this one https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...?recordNum=101
Put it in the wall of the RV. I then put the 5/8 hose on - finished!!
Make sure to clamp the hoses with gear clamps and to seal the hose where it goes through the floor. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole9 View Post
Hi gprapim!
I just ran the 3 overflow hoses into a manifold like the picture above. The overflow hoses are 1/2 inch. My manifold is 1/2 inch threaded CPVC the white stuff. I put a 5/8 hose adapter on the end of the manifold and ran a 5/8 hose to the back of the RV. All of the hoses I supported by using nylon tyrap hooked to whatever I could. At the back of the RV I found that by drilling one hole I could route the 5/8 hose to the compartment where the water selection valves are also where the fill fittings are. I went to my local marine store and bought a marine vent like this one https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...?recordNum=101
Put it in the wall of the RV. I then put the 5/8 hose on - finished!!
Make sure to clamp the hoses with gear clamps and to seal the hose where it goes through the floor. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you. Are you referring to the picture of my manifold, or do you have a different configuration? What about a shut off valve?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #15

Your picture. I didn't put in a shut-off valve. I thought it was not a good idea because if you accidentally left it closed when filling up the tank you could blow-up your tank.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #16

Water tank Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post

After reading your last answer, I am going to use a manifold of 1/2" pvc for two of the hoses from the tank connected to it, with a valve on the end. The third hose from the tank, I am going to run to the back of the motorhome into the outside shower, 5/8" line, for a vent. I feel this will work. I'll let you know. Thanks to all who have commented on this ..... I really appreciate your help and concern !!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank all who have helped me with some great ideas. I'll be back when it is solved to let you know what and how it worked.

I ran two of the three overflow/vent lines to a manifold placed level with the top of the water tank, outboard just inside the exterior wall, with a shut off valve. The third line, from the tank, I ran above the tank along the frame to the rear outside shower. I used a 5/8" hose and ran it up through the base of the shower. I left the end open for a vent line and ran it to the top of the shower. I filled the tank until the manifold flowed water and shut off the water supply. I let it drain until the overflow stopped draining and shut the manifold valve. When it stopped draining, the tank read full on the panel. Mission accomplished !!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
I ran two of the three overflow/vent lines to a manifold placed level with the top of the water tank, outboard just inside the exterior wall, with a shut off valve. The third line, from the tank, I ran above the tank along the frame to the rear outside shower. I used a 5/8" hose and ran it up through the base of the shower. I left the end open for a vent line and ran it to the top of the shower. I filled the tank until the manifold flowed water and shut off the water supply. I let it drain until the overflow stopped draining and shut the manifold valve. When it stopped draining, the tank read full on the panel. Mission accomplished !!

I hope this makes sense to all who are experiencing the same problem. If not contact me for any additional info.