Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

2017 greyhawk 29mv slide topper

My wife and I just purchased a 2017 greyhawk 29mv and would like to have slide toppers installed. Looks like no problem with the bedroom slide but the main slide has a large window in the dinette area that reaches almost to the top of the slide out. Doesn't appear to be enough room to mount the brackets on the slide. Has anyone had a slide topper installed on this model ?
jhult524xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

jhult524xia,

I have not installed one on this model, but I can give you my thoughts about it in general. I plan to get a 29MV as well, but have a fifth wheel now.

1. If you get the full body paint option, Jayco installs the slideout awnings. I am not suggesting this option, I would not want the cost or the heat gain, but you could look at some photos of one or contact Jayco to see what brand/model they use.

2. My awning install was a Carefree and it only needed the brackets to be installed on each end of the outer face of the slide. It appears that there would be room for that on the 29MV.

3. One mistake I made was to get fancy and order the optional Carefree full metal cover. When you close it, all the leaves and pine needles go into the cover and are trapped instead of rolling off the end. So I had to take a ladder and sweep off the awning tops before closing just like I would if I did not have awnings.
fred42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

My 2015 should be the same. No problem getting toppers installed.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Congrats on the new camper.We have the same year and model and camping word installed both toppers on our camper.Just be advised that there wou'nt be a lot of pitch for the rain to drain off.the rear one is slightly better .the front topper is almost level.I guess it really can't be helped because of the hardware attachment points.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Hello,
We had slide toppers installed by the dealer and they work great on our 2017 29 MV. I couldn't tell you how,they are mounted at the moment but it works well. The only problem we have had is heavy rain collects and puddles on the larger slide. We looked for some kind of inflatable pillow to keep the rain from puddling and have seen beach balls suggested however we have yet to figure that out. The water poured when retracted and we made sure to dry them out the next clear dry day...

Anyone out the have solutions for the water collection?
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

I have the same puddle problem with my topper. Beach ball is the only usable answer I've seen.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #7

Ditto on beach ball partial inflated works great
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

I let mine puddle ,then I go up on the roof and sweep the puddles off with a broom.Seems to me to be a little hairy to slide a beach ball under the topper and then have to remove it when you want to move ???????
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I let mine puddle ,then I go up on the roof and sweep the puddles off with a broom.Seems to me to be a little hairy to slide a beach ball under the topper and then have to remove it when you want to move ???????
A line on the partially inflated ball and it's pretty simple to remove. A short step stool to get it in place.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

I need more than a small step-stool to get to the top of my slides,there up there !