Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #1

2017 Melbourne 24K LED Tail Lights has Various LEDs out

Has anyone replaced these on a Melbourne? Believe the PNs are in the manual, and it looks like I'll be ordering some. Seems like the ones on the right side only have a few LEDs lit for running and brakes, and when I put it in reverse, some of the red ones light on the right side (suspect a Jayco wiring issue I've never noticed before).
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:17 PM   #2

Found the replacements on Amazon after getting the PN for the red ones from Jayco. Mfr is Kaper II and the PNs are L15-0081R for the 4 red ones and L16-0173 for the white ones (the Jayco mfr PN did not work for the white ones). Found the white ones PN in an electronic Kaper catalog, and ordered direct from them. Around $19 for the red ones on Amazon, and $16 from Kaper but with no free shipping... Now to figure out how to remove and replace them...
Old 03-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #3

Let me know how it works out for you. I bought a replacement on Amazon as well. I got the link from another thread on this site. I haven't had the chance to fool with it yet.
This is the one linked by another owner that I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:26 PM   #4

Replaced Tail Lights last Weekend

Got around to replacing all 4 tail lights and the back up camera last weekend.

Used a standard xacto knife around all of the lights to free up the RTV around the edges. I then pushed on the middle of the light, and pried off each light's beauty ring. I then removed the 2 screws for each light and clipped the wires close to the light (I didn't want to mess with the factory wire clips that Jayco used). Then, used a larger xacto blade to scrape off all of the remaining RTV. I jay hooked, soldered, and sleeved each of the 3 wires for each light. Then carefully tucked the wires back in the hole, and installed each light with the original 2 screws. I put a bead of JB Weld RTV around each light, pushed on the beauty ring, and put a final bead around the beauty ring of each light.

Basically the same procedure for the back-up camera, only I didn't have to solder the video connection (it has a mini 5 pin connector after the larger 5 pin inside the RV back wall). Everything came out pretty well...

I believe that both the tail lights and back-up camera probably got cooked by the UV rays here in Texas. I found some 1" x 12" ferrous stainless steel strips on Amazon. I plan on trimming these and painting them white, and installing above and below both the lights and the camera. Then I'll fashion some covers out of UV blocking fabric and put magnets in the covers. I'll install over the lights and camera while the RV is stored at my house. Hopefully they'll last a little longer that way.

Tags
melbourne 24k, tail lights taillights