Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #21

2017 Melbourne not sealed

Heads UP!!! We took our 6 month old Melbourne in and had slide toppers added to the 2 slides. The Service guy said it was a good thing we brought it in. When they removed the gutters over the slides, the factory had not caulked under the gutters and it would of being leaking inside our wall in no time. Why does the factory have to hurry thru their job on something that they want to sell for $100,000. I didn't buy a Thor because I wanted a quality product.

Jayco 2017 Melbourne
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #22

We are curious! We were told by our dealer that toppers couldn't be put on our 2017 Melbourne k. Said the back one would block the camera and the side didn't have enough room between the roof and slide. We were very disappointed. Who did you go to when you had them installed? We've always had slide awnings and think they're very important.
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #23

Pictures of your install as well.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #24

I agree the radio dvd is so hard to figure out we installed a dvd player
Ome one needs to write the manual in English.
Garry
gfisher100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #25

We just took two 3-week, back-to-back trips. On this last one, we stayed mostly in State Parks without hookups. We are enjoying this motorhome so much. Everything works well, and the quality is good. We are lacking for nothing. I will say, when winds get above about 25 mph, this thing is kind of scary to drive. It never jerks into another lane, but it rocks, and the wind makes it noisy inside. As we've traveled, we've asked others about this issue; and apparently View, Siesta...all of these smaller, high profile motorhomes are a bit of a challenge in the wind. We only discussed this with others who had a tow vehicle. We haven't taken her out without towing, but we're thinking that makes a big difference. What has your experience been?
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
We just took two 3-week, back-to-back trips. On this last one, we stayed mostly in State Parks without hookups. We are enjoying this motorhome so much. Everything works well, and the quality is good. We are lacking for nothing. I will say, when winds get above about 25 mph, this thing is kind of scary to drive. It never jerks into another lane, but it rocks, and the wind makes it noisy inside. As we've traveled, we've asked others about this issue; and apparently View, Siesta...all of these smaller, high profile motorhomes are a bit of a challenge in the wind. We only discussed this with others who had a tow vehicle. We haven't taken her out without towing, but we're thinking that makes a big difference. What has your experience been?
I installed a Hellwig sway bar and SumoSprings bump stops and it is not white knuckle driving anymore. If I didn't mention it here before I did on the sprinter-source forum which is good source for all your Sprinter chassis questions and also General RV questions. Very simple and cheap to DIY. About 6 bolts and your done.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #27

Thanks for the reply pfflyer. What vehicle do you tow?
Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Thanks for the reply pfflyer. What vehicle do you tow?
I haven't towed it with the Melbourne yet but a 2002 Toyota MR2. I have flat towed it several times with my self converted Sprinter 2500 van.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Toad.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	26807
Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #29

We have been on a 29 day trip. We had these slide toppers installed by a rv service shop for $1000. Yes the back one blocks 1/2 of the camera. But my husband rarely uses the camera. As I stated once before, the radio has so many buttons and is hard to figure out. Anyway while on the trip we had a rain storm one night and when the slide came in the next morning, it was bone dry. Usually I have to take a towel and dry the back one off. Definitely a good decision to get the back one.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #30

While we were on our trip, our stabilizers started acting up and then one time one of the stabilizers would not retract. My husband had to go under and unbolt it and tie it up out of the way. He has not had time to work on it since we got back, but will have to this week as we are leaving again. Has this happened to anyone else?

2017 Melbourne
Old 10-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #31

I haven't had any issues with the stabilizers but I have been meaning to throw out a question about the mattress. We have been having a problem with the top dipping in the middle making it uncomfortable to sleep on. On our mattress the part that flips up is thicker than the head part to compensate for the difference in height of the slide and the stationary part. There is a part of the mattress that is unsupported because of the height difference right at the "hinge" part of the mattress towards the head of the bed. I think our mattress is either wrong or not engineered very well. There is about 3" at the hinge that is un-supported. Is anyone else with the rear slide have this problem?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #32

No trouble with our stabilizers, thank goodness. If I'm following you on the mattress issue, we've been stuffing a rolled up lap comforter where the "bend" is to fill in the space where the mattress is uneven. We use that so that when we slide in, the comforter is light-weight and slips right out from under the mattress. We haven't even looked at mattresses that have the bend in them to see if it could be replaced with something better - bet they're pricy since they're so unusual. That flaw in design is a disappointment; because overall, the memory foam quality of it is very comfortable. Really, for the most part we are very, very pleased with the Melbourne - no regrets. We're getting ready for our last trip of the fall. All total, we've been gone about 12 weeks in 2 to 3 week segments.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #33

Yes I put a blanket under mine and it is SOOO much better. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #34

We discovered a new one on our last trip. We bought a pool noodle, and we put it in the space. It fits perfectly and has completely solved the problem. When the slide comes in, it's really easy to remove the noodle and store it since it's so light weight.

By the way, we just returned from another three-week trip to Laughlin, NV. The weather was perfect, the resort was great and we're very sad to be home. We had to winterize the moment we returned. Our blood is very thin from all those beautiful 85-90 degree days. We're getting ready to take the Melbourne in for some minor warranty work, then we're here for the winter!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #35
TWG

Radio complicated

Yes, I agree...the user interface on the radio is very cumbersome and also does not seem to be reactive to touch as well as it should be. Frustrated with the choice of radio.
TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #36

We just kept playing with it until everything sunk in about that touch control in the cab. I'm sure there are still a few things to learn, but we know how to run the basics...radio, TV, DVD, hand-free phone, etc. VERY complicated but actually very nice.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Welcome from a fellow Melborne owner. We bought a bed extension for ours because at 6'5" the bed was a little short but we like the overall firmness and comfort.
PF...can you explain 'bed extension'? I can't imagine there's room to make the bed longer in our 24K, but an extra 4-6" would sure be nice. At 6-1, I have my head against the wall and my heels are right at the edge of the mattress.

Thanks...
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaInTexas View Post
We have a 2017 only 2 months old. Love it and love the bed. Sleeps better then home. Loved, Loved the View, but not the price! The coachmen were nice except for the cab. The Ford did not leave any foot room for the passenger side of the cab and with spending most of your time in the seat, it would have been uncomfortable. So much room in the Mercedes up front. I do not like the radio setup. Read the book and cant figure the whole thing out. Was told that you have a hard time finding something you love 100%, so shoot for 80%. We love our tiny home, except for the dining booth in the slide. We would like to take it out and put in a loveseat or 2 recliners. Any comments on this thought? Also we have already moved the TV over the doorway. With it located in the bunk area, only one person could see it while setting at the booth. Not very handy.
Linda...would love to know if you remove the dinette. As you said, can't have everything, but if there's one thing I'd do tomorrow to make our 2016 24K better, I'd yank out that dining table and uncomfortable seating and put in a couple recliners.

Our rig has the cabinets overhead versus the front bunk area...but curious how you mounted the tv over the door...our has a cabinet there. Are you close to hitting your head on the tv going in and out?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I am getting 12-13 mpg keeping the most part around 65 mph. I installed a heavy duty sway bar and it handles much better than without. It handles hills well but sometimes you need to downshift manually. The computer downshifts better in this 2015 3500 chassis than my 2013 2500 Sprinter cargo. I am a little disappointed about the mileage but not too much. Other Sprinter class C's reports 15-17 mpg.
PF...can you share info on the sway bar you installed? Although the 24K isn't bad, if I get behind a big rig on the highway, the turbulence is nuts. I'm sure a sway bar on a rig this tall combined with the short wheel base would help.

Thanks...
Old 03-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Linda...would love to know if you remove the dinette. As you said, can't have everything, but if there's one thing I'd do tomorrow to make our 2016 24K better, I'd yank out that dining table and uncomfortable seating and put in a couple recliners.

Our rig has the cabinets overhead versus the front bunk area...but curious how you mounted the tv over the door...our has a cabinet there. Are you close to hitting your head on the tv going in and out?
Sorry...found my answer as I kept reading through the posts. Got ahead of myself asking questions.

Do you find it difficult to get into the overhead storage with the recliners in there?