Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

2017 MV29 / Boondocking with cpap

I must have read 100 cpap posts and still don't know the easiest route to take with this. We will be boondocking in two days so I need a near/short term solution if possible and then one that is for the longer term.

Husband uses ResMed cpap with humidifier - Can go without the humidifier for a few days but there is no option for switching to 12 volt adapter for his model.

We have a new MV29. Is there any way to use the cpap without an adapter? Will this run off the house batteries? I believe we have one or two wall sockets that can be used but I don't know where they are and whether they would work for this. In case it is not apparent, I am clueless as to converters; inverters; 120 v 12 V, etc. Just don't want to cause more stress to my husband.

Suggestions? Input? Dumb it down for me, please, and thanks.
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:12 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I went with a company called Battery Power Solution. model C-100 Cpap Battery Pack. Its a portable battery that can be charged at home or thru your 12 volt system. I use it independently with my Resmed machine. I wanted something I could use remotely like tent camping in remote areas. It works fine and no issues. I used it 2 nights in a row and still had 100% power. There were other ways I could of went but chose this for the remote option, pricey around $300 or so. Check it online!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I must have read 100 cpap posts and still don't know the easiest route to take with this. We will be boondocking in two days so I need a near/short term solution if possible and then one that is for the longer term.

Husband uses ResMed cpap with humidifier - Can go without the humidifier for a few days but there is no option for switching to 12 volt adapter for his model.

We have a new MV29. Is there any way to use the cpap without an adapter? Will this run off the house batteries? I believe we have one or two wall sockets that can be used but I don't know where they are and whether they would work for this. In case it is not apparent, I am clueless as to converters; inverters; 120 v 12 V, etc. Just don't want to cause more stress to my husband.

Suggestions? Input? Dumb it down for me, please, and thanks.
There are two outlets in the 29MV that run on the inverter when boon docking. One behind the TV in the front and one behind the TV in the bedroom. If the cpap does not draw too much current, you could use the one behind the bed room TV to run the cpap. Some back ground on the inverter. The 29 MV has a 1000 watt inverter that produces 120v A/C from 12v D/C power (house battery). 1000 watts is equivalent to about 8 amps. That is not very much. So you cant run a lot on the inverter outlets. Hence the reason only the TVs powered by the inverter. Also you have to turn on the inverter with the switch on the panel by the door in the kitchen. The red light will glow when it is on. Check the label on your cpap it should show the amount of power needed to run. Probably in watts. So make sure its less than 1000. Probably less than 700 to be safe. Also note that it could run your house battery down over night. I would make sure the battery is charged just before bed by running the generator for sometime. that will charge the house battery. You also have the option of running the generator all night, if noise is not an issue. Then you can plug it into any outlet. Hope this helps.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Which model of ResMed CPAP are you using? Check your voltages on the base plate, my ResMed AirSense 10 operates on 110V/AC and 24V/DC allowing me two options while boondocking. One is to run an extension from the TV outlet powered by the 110V inverter. Second, to run on 12 volt, by purchasing the ResMed DC/DC 90W converter that increases the DC from 12V to 24V. Air10 DC/DC converter | ResMed
This unit comes with battery clips and a cigarette lighter adapter drawing about 51W. while using the CPAP.
Hope this helps.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks to all who responded).

1.Thanks for this info about the battery. We will check it out as it seems the most fool proof and we are at the kind of stage for now.

2. Did not know about the plug at TV in bedroom and will try that tonight.

3. We have a Resmed 9 but will need to update in about 6 months. Sounds like the 10 will also solve this issue.

You all gave us the info that we needed. Such a big help!
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

I run my ResMed 9 using the inverter and single house battery in our 31FK when off the grid. To get through the night I do disconnect the humidifier section. Our one inverter-supplied outlet is behind the TV in the living room. A heavy duty extension cord easily reaches the bedside CPAP.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote