Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

2017 Seneca 37TS House Battery Corrosion

Checked my battery water levels today and noticed the the +terminal on the battery where the main feed from the Battery Isolation Manager attaches is corroding and is wet around the cell cover. There is also a lot of corrosion "powder" at the base of the battery on the tray. I don't think this is normal but does it mean I have a bad battery. Note, when connected to shore power the inverter display is usually 13.2 to 13.5 if that means anything.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #2

Unfortunately the 13.2 while charging doesnt really tell you much other than the converter is putting out that voltage and the batteries not totally shot. The only way to really test is to unhook and let them sit for a period of time then run some load tests and solution concentrations. The corrosion and wetness can be a result of boil over if the batteries were charged very quickly overfilled during topping off. the connections could be loose and result in poor connections and corrosion as well. Use of anti corrosion spray or dielectric grease over the connections can help reduce issues with the corrosion.

I would fill them to just over the plates. Then clean them with water and little baking soda to remove any acid from tops and remove and replace the connections spraying on protectant. Or after the connection is made you can top coat it with dielectric grease to seal out moisture. The grease is not conductive so dont put it on first.

Then just watch to see if the issue recurs.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
...The corrosion and wetness can be a result of boil over if the batteries were charged very quickly overfilled during topping off.

I would fill them to just over the plates. Then clean them with water and little baking soda to remove any acid from tops and remove and replace the connections spraying on protectant. Or after the connection is made you can top coat it with dielectric grease to seal out moisture. The grease is not conductive so dont put it on first.

Then just watch to see if the issue recurs.
Thanks...I think my problem is I overfilled them..will clean up, remove some of the liquid and go from there.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #4

Make sure you only add water up to the full level on a fully charged battery. I like the Pro-Fill battery watering system, just hook it up and pump the bulb till it’s tight, no way to overfill and quick to top off.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote