Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And to keep this on topic. There is the story, supposedly true, about a man who bought a Tiffin or something similar (Jayco ClassA) with a V10. He took it north out of Phoenix up Sunset Point and into Flagstaff. He brought it back to the dealer several days later and traded it for a diesel. He ate $20K on the deal but did not want a gasser for pulling mountains. Heresay but who knows?
Once again, comparing a 24K weight Class A to a 14K weight Class C (which is what the OP was referring too) with the V10.

Same with comparing a 15K weight fiver and a 9K weight pickup pulling it, a 24K payload, to the Class C.

Apples to hammers.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #42

No Thread Hijack Intended..

I am the Mercedes diesel buyer who dropped the extra 15-20K for a smaller motorhome since I had an F150 engine tanker on me. I wrote off Ford for any future purchases since it was a design flaw that happened after warranties were exhausted (leaky manifold gasket that had coolant run into engine). Also couldnít really find anything new with a Chevy that interested me, it was V10 or Sprinter only. I know some folks tow with their Sprinter but even going up medium size hills seems like the V6 struggles so canít imagine a toad. Maybe it wouldnít be any different since I do see plenty of them on the road. No intention on stirring up any pots just explaining my individual situation. I do love the Mercedes (wouldnít mind a more modern interior) but do hate that I wrote off an entire product line (for now) but it is what it is...

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #43
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
I know some folks tow with their Sprinter but even going up medium size hills seems like the V6 struggles so can’t imagine a toad. Maybe it wouldn’t be any different since I do see plenty of them on the road. No intention on stirring up any pots just explaining my individual situation. I do love the Mercedes (wouldn’t mind a more modern interior) but do hate that I wrote off an entire product line (for now) but it is what it is...
Interesting, I was sold on the Melbourne 24L, based on the floor plan, then we rented a Chauteau 23 ft with the Ford V10 as a trial, before we pulled the trigger. Feeling how much power the V10 had, up and down the hills, it gave me pause to think about the MB V6 diesel. Plus, like you said, it was at least $10K MORE to get the MD diesel. Yes, the fuel mileage was better on the V6, but I wasn't buying a MH to save a few bucks...

Then, looking at towing specs between the 24L and my 24B, the V10 was rated at 7500 towing on the 24B versus 5000 for the V6 on the 24L. That sold it for me.

I can buy a lot of gas for $10K.....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Just wondering, we have similar sized rigs. How often do you actually use the toad where you go? Is it worth the effort/inconvenience for the number of times you actually need it?

Wifey keeps telling me we need to bring a toad along, but with every trip we've been on so far, there's never been a need for it. Once we've pulled into the CG, there has been no reason to leave. We do all our sightseeing or shopping BEFORE we get to the CG.

My other issue is, none of our 3 existing vehicles can be towed, unless on a trailer. They can't go dolly or flat tow. That would be the LAST thing I want to deal with, a toad AND a trailer.
Yeah, no way I was going to deal with a dolly or a trailer. We take ours almost everywhere we go, and we USE it. We have been places where we can visit before settling down in the CG with the Toad attached, parking can be a bit of a challenge, but it's not insurmountable. Then once we've parked and set up the rig, we have the Jeep to take us wherever we want to go, on OUR schedule at OUR convenience. If we have an emergency, we have a second vehicle. Since it's a Jeep, it can go just about anywhere, and is a VERY comfortable vehicle. We will even go off-road if the mood strikes and the trails are available. For most of our trips, the MH is just a place to sleep and eat; we spend most of our time exploring in the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we do not tow, use enterprise rental and love it. do not have to spend 20,000 + for a toad. travel rental at 2,000+ no maintenance, no registration, better milage and less hassle getting gas, no parking hassle..
We needed a daily driver anyway, I just chose one that can be flat towed, so that is not an "additional cost" for us to have a toad. The only additional costs are the tackle and the slight loss in fuel economy in the MH while towing. Getting fuel has never been a problem, and we have only gotten stuck and had to detach the toad once, and that was my fault; I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. It's unlikely to happen ever again, but if it does, it's really not that big a deal with our setup.

IMHO, nothing beats the freedom and complete independence offered by having a toad along. Plus I can haul extra gear back there if I need to!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I have a 2019 Redhawk 25 R we use to to pull our 2013 Kia soul on the toll dolly with the Car loaded up and the tow dolly itís around 3000 pounds. My RV Pulls this set up like a champ! And stops on a dime!

But now we just purchased a very low mileage 2014 Honda CRV 2WD which weighs in about 3300 pounds. Setting it up to flat tow within a few months Iím sure it will tow just about the same, itís very close to the weight of my last set up. Just canít do the tow dolly anymore with my back!

Will be posting dolly for sale in a few months! Itís an Acme tow dolly, used it 3 years APX 15K miles on it, built in surge breaks, HD removable steel ramps, a set of Brand new upgraded straps, comes with a mounted spare tire with 3 extra, new, never mounted tires.
This is almost exactly the plan that we have...flat-towing a 2014 CRV AWD. The campground might be a pretty place, but in most cases, it's only for sleeping and eating. And we usually like the really out-of-the-way places (like in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming and Montana) where rentals might be hard to come-by. Exploring is the name of the game for us.

We've been looking closely at used Tiffin 32SA series Class A's. Those use the 3-valve/cyl version of the Ford V-10. That's why they are rated for a little more HP. I've found a couple that are only a few years old, and not too many miles for just a little over $100k. Class A's sure do depreciate fast...even the high-end ones!

I'm not sure about the Jayco Class A's. I see very few comments about them here. Most that we've looked at seem to have been slapped together by folks who can't wait for 5:00...much like our present Jayco Eagle. Perhaps some actual owners here can set us straight.?. Are they better than that?

If we could afford it, I'd be all over anything on the Freightliner chassis with the Cummins! I've been living happily with that motor in my Ram truck now for years, and it's a wonderful beast of an engine! I'm really going to miss it!

ALL of this feedback is VERY informative to me...even when people are thinking it's off-topic, it's still good usable info to us, as we are still in the "searching for the best fit" phase. Thank you all!

This really is a great forum! Even if we are no longer Jayco owners at some point, I fully intend to remain a part of it.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #46
Site Team

I'd like to remind everyone, that personal attacks aren't permitted, or tolerated on the Forum. For those that might like to take a breath or two, a glance at the Community Rules will refresh memories. Perhaps there are some conversations better left to Private Messaging.

Site Team

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #47
CAG

Quote:
Once again, comparing a 24K weight Class A to a 14K weight Class C (which is what the OP was referring too) with the V10.

Same with comparing a 15K weight fiver and a 9K weight pickup pulling it, a 24K payload, to the Class C.

Apples to hammers.
I think you missed the point of my post.

You might be trying to be too literal with the entire thread
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #48

Quote:
My other issue is, none of our 3 existing vehicles can be towed, unless on a trailer. They can't go dolly or flat tow. That would be the LAST thing I want to deal with, a toad AND a trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
It depends on your destination. If your going to a CG or state park for their activities only, then I guess you donít need a tow. However, I pull my toad mostly everywhere I go. We like to site see and I like to have an extra vehicle in case the RV breaks down. And if itís more than a 3-4 hour trip I usually bring the toad, regardless of the Destination. We never tow when we go north for the holidays. Donít want to take the chance of getting stuck with a toad in the snow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
We back trail, fish, hunt, visit various local sights, shop. You name it. We are not sitting around an RV park that much. Too much to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
We did the same for 5 years. We got tired of scheduling trips based on where Enterprise was located (they do not pick up everywhere) on based on when they are open (some branches not open on weekends). We were getting the family rate because our daughter is an Auditor for them.
We bought and outfitted a 2019 Grand Cherokee for flat towing. Now we control our schedules and locations.
Each has a different set of preferences... We prefer to be staying in places like these - and take our vehicle AND toys to enjoy the amenities that the outdoors has to offer!

We need enough power to get us AND our exploring vehicles to our destinatiton. Yes - we take this setup across the country with us.
Attached Thumbnails
3044-MMS-1472676206000-attachment1-20160828_122951.jpg   20160506_181352.jpg   20160530_095140.jpg   20180504_111256.jpg   20180504_111319.jpg  

07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400
Fresh 2022 Coors Light in the fridge.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #49

Keep in mind that Ford changed the transmission on the E450 around 2016. 5 speed to the 6 speed. There may be some here that have experience with the older 5 speed; the 6 speed does make a difference.

However pulling a big hill or up a mountain the V10 is going to scream at you no matter what, but it happily does so w/o getting hoarse.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
We love ours in our jayco class c22j. Cannot understand why there is so much hype about bigger and more powerful engines. The v10 is incredibly strong and reliable, more power than we will ever need. Yes it is noisy but will run all day at 3000rpms +. Bigger is not always better...mtc..
Your exactly right, just a lot of hype but yet to be seen what shortcuts the beancutters put on it. I have 2 V10's, an 03 in a box van and the other in my Greyhawk. Both are fine engines with all the power I want or need. But then again, they did give the new engine the name Godzilla, so a lot of people got to have that ya know? The inevitable issue's will surface, just depends on how bad they are.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Keep in mind that Ford changed the transmission on the E450 around 2016. 5 speed to the 6 speed. There may be some here that have experience with the older 5 speed; the 6 speed does make a difference.

However pulling a big hill or up a mountain the V10 is going to scream at you no matter what, but it happily does so w/o getting hoarse.
The 6-speed transmission is something I felt was worth waiting for. So when I went hunting for our Class C, it narrowed my search somewhat.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote