Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

2018 29 MVP Front Tire Pressure

The dealer had my front tire pressure set at 80 psi. The motorhome tends to wonder constantly. The front end alignment was checked by a local truck shop. I just lowered the front tire pressure to 70 psi and that seems to have helped somewhat. Has anyone else experienced an improvement by doing this?
30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post
The dealer had my front tire pressure set at 80 psi. The motorhome tends to wonder constantly. The front end alignment was checked by a local truck shop. I just lowered the front tire pressure to 70 psi and that seems to have helped somewhat. Has anyone else experienced an improvement by doing this?

I just dropped my front from 80 to 75 psi (recommended by the manufacturer on the door jamb). Leaving on a trip in a week and will know at that time. I’m not expecting much of a difference, if any !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post
75psi is the recommended front tire pressure...80psi for all 4 rears.

I think the best thing to help wandering is lower driving speed. I usually drive between 60-65mph and have very little wandering. I also have yet to have the alignment done but do plan to do that.

When you do your alignment be sure and load the coach just like you will when traveling. Makes a difference.

Also, I wouldn't play around with tire pressures too much without loading up your coach for travel with everything including what water in tanks you need and have the 4 corners weighed at a good truck scale.

Only lower pressures to tire manufacturers recommendations for the weight you are carrying.

Tires run hotter when pressure is lowered so be very careful. Blowouts are no fun and usually caused by improper tire pressures. Speed also. Like I said the sweet spot is 60-65mph for handling and safety.

These E450's have a old style gear box on the steering arm. Much like the vehicles you probably remember driving back in the day. That makes it handle differently than a new rack and pinion steering. The key is not to over steer. Try to use minimum corrections. Try it because it does help a bunch.

You will get comfortable with the handling after a few long trips. Mine handles great for a motorhome. I have had several and the Jayco's handling is by far one of the best I have experienced.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
These E450's have a old style gear box on the steering arm. Much like the vehicles you probably remember driving back in the day. That makes it handle differently than a new rack and pinion steering. The key is not to over steer. Try to use minimum corrections. Try it because it does help a bunch.
Our new-to-us 2014 Greyhawk 31FS is on an E-450 chassis as well and I was having ALOT of difficulty keeping it on the road; the coach would tend to wander and dart all over. The steering was also very heavy, taking more force to turn than other vehicles of its size. After reading other posts here I took it to a trusted alignment shop in the next county and had them line it up. I also asked them to make certain that the caster angle was at least +5 deg.

When I picked it up the shop told me that the settings were not far out, but they brought all settings back into spec. The big change came after they checked the steering box and found that it was too tight. They backed off the 'jamb nut' a quarter turn to loosen the rack. What a difference! The steering is now easier to turn, and as a result it is much smoother to steer and easier to keep the rig headed straight down the road at all speeds. What a difference!

Go to an alignment shop that knows big rigs and trucks, and while your Ford RV is there ask them to check the rack.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

My toe was out 1.25 as delivered. I tried to drive it at 68 mph and it was a nightmare. Now I drive between 60 and 62. Much better. I will raise the front pressure to 75 psi. Jayco quality control certainly has suffered since my last one a 2006 Granite Ridge.
30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

My 2005 31SS Greyhawk recommends 80 psi rear. 65 psi front. 208 inch wheel base. 14050 GVWR E450.
Had mine aligned recently, it was off a mile, much better now.
My guess is the cutaway van Jayco uses is aligned properly but when they put the coach body on it, the alignment goes wonky.
Had the alignment shop put grease zerks in upper and lower ball joints, they were really dry with no way to grease them.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote