Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

2018 29 MVP Slideout Operation When Dry Camping

We do mostly dry camping and without electrical hookup We cannot extend the two slide outs. Is it possible to use the generator to supply power to use the slide outs.
30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

You should be able to extend the slides off of battery power. My guess would be a bad ground if the generator operates the slides.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post
We do mostly dry camping and without electrical hookup We cannot extend the two slide outs. Is it possible to use the generator to supply power to use the slide outs.
Yes, the generator can be used to power the slides to an out position. First start the generator, slides out then (unless you still need the generator), turn it off.

Reverse the process as required. Start the generator then bring the slide in, then turn off the generator. If you have a good battery, the slides can be moved ones (in or out), but there may not be enough sufficient power left in the battery to bring them back in.

I learned that if the house battery is too weak to start the generator, start the engine. Then start the generator.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30coupe View Post

I think I would check my battery voltage with a battery draw tester. There is no reason, if your battery is charged and in good order, that you should need shore power or generator power to extend or retract your slides. Sounds like it might be a bad house battery to me. Check it out !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #5

X2 to what gprapim said. If voltage on battery is good there should be no problem extending or retracting slides.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

I’m assuming since the OP is boondocking and everything else works fine. That would lead me to believe that the batteries are fine. I would be looking for a bad ground.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

Does running the engine help?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

Yes, you should be connected to a 120 volt source so the converter is working to help boost the battery. It mentions this in the manual. This means either generator power or shore power needs to be connected. Look at first dark black sentence below second square box at bottom of this instructions page.

Low voltage can damage the slide motors. The battery alone is typically not enough power to operate 2 or more slides even when fully charged. Slide motors pull the battery down fast!

Running the chassis engine will not help...the slides use the coach battery. Only generator or shore power will work to boost the battery enough for smooth and reliable slide function.
Attached Thumbnails
B3B1B11B-2FD1-46FE-8E6E-95AC67014E50.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Yes, you should be connected to a 120 volt source so the converter is working to help boost the battery. It mentions this in the manual. This means either generator power or shore power needs to be connected. Look at first dark black sentence below second square box at bottom of this instructions page.

Low voltage can damage the slide motors. The battery alone is typically not enough power to operate 2 or more slides even when fully charged. Slide motors pull the battery down fast!

Running the chassis engine will not help...the slides use the coach battery. Only generator or shore power will work to boost the battery enough for smooth and reliable slide function.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the engine also charge the house battery while running? Otherwise, during travel there would be no “charging” for all 12V powered things being used while underway.

We power the inverter while traveling, to keep the kids entertained on the TV. I’ve never had a drained battery even after hours of inverter use.
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the help on this. I will try with the generator and then with just the motor running.
30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the engine also charge the house battery while running? Otherwise, during travel there would be no “charging” for all 12V powered things being used while underway.
Exactly...engine charges the house battery exactly the same way the converter does. Been there done that..started engine slides worked fine.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Exactly...engine charges the house battery exactly the same way the converter does. Been there done that..started engine slides worked fine.
I haven't tried it in my Greyhawk but in previous Motorhomes the slides do not work with the ignition on and engine running...built-in safety to prevent accidental slide deployment while traveling down the road by passengers mistakenly pushing buttons.

Sorry...I assumed all motorhomes were like that I will need to check my Greyhawk...but if the slides work with ignition then I guess that would help boost the coach battery also.

Funny the Greyhawk book doesn't mention that? It specifically says to have 120 volts to converter when operating slides...nothing about ignition or running engine?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #13

My slides will not operate (in or out) with the ignition on. Kind of annoying really; it would be nice if you could at least run them IN with the ignition on. But I understand why that's the case, you REALLY don't want some kid playing with the buttons in transit and running a slide out while cruising down the freeway!

That being said, I ran one slide in and out yesterday off just the house battery (still the OEM one too). Granted, you don't want to make a habit of this, but in a pinch, you should be able to run the slides using just the house battery, assuming it is charged and in good condition. Full disclosure: I had just charged the battery using my 110V external battery charger from my garage that I use to maintain all my other batteries, so I know it was topped up.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
you REALLY don't want some kid playing with the buttons in transit and running a slide out while cruising down the freeway!
They're supposed to be belted in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My slides will not operate (in or out) with the ignition on. Kind of annoying really; it
Must be a recent change, our SENECA would operate no problem. I would start it in cold weather ahead of pulling the slides in.

When we had our DESIGNER I ran it to boost the battery numerous times when.operating the slide.

Mea culpa...Cabinetmaker
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They're supposed to be belted in..

snip
Good point! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #16

Ha! No problem Grumpy...I’m not sure all motorhomes have that ignition block even today so I appreciate Bob for clearing that up for us on the Jayco Greyhawks.

I just assumed mine had it so never really tried the slides with motorhome running.

Another mystery solved! Thanks Guys!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Ha! No problem Grumpy...I’m not sure all motorhomes have that ignition block even today so I appreciate Bob for clearing that up for us on the Jayco Greyhawks.

I just assumed mine had it so never really tried the slides with motorhome running.

Another mystery solved! Thanks Guys!
On my ‘15 Greyhawk the slides work with the engine running....my wife is always needing things in places we can’t get to. ��
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
I haven't tried it in my Greyhawk but in previous Motorhomes the slides do not work with the ignition on and engine running...built-in safety to prevent accidental slide deployment while traveling down the road by passengers mistakenly pushing buttons.

Sorry...I assumed all motorhomes were like that I will need to check my Greyhawk...but if the slides work with ignition then I guess that would help boost the coach battery also.

Funny the Greyhawk book doesn't mention that? It specifically says to have 120 volts to converter when operating slides...nothing about ignition or running engine?
Cabinetmaker you’re right. On my Grayhawk, the slides will not operate when the engine is on. They only operate when the engine is off.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote