Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

2018 29MV Too Much Heat in the Cab

OK Jayco owners, I need your help. This issue is causing a rift at the home front and I need a solution. There are two problems but I somehow think they are interrelated and they both occur when the cab windows are down. The first is the refrigerator, which warms from the mid-30 degree range to the low 60's when we travel with the windows down. Drive with the windows up and the refrigerator will maintain 35 degrees forever. Last year Norcold had the dealer install a deflector which we thought helped, but it didn't. Now Norcold is sending a "kit" which is supposed to fix the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Problem 2 also occurs when we are driving with the cab windows down but not when they are up. When the windows are down, the passenger side is inundated with heat. It's not heater heat, but engine heat or exhaust heat. It seems to emanate from somewhere under the passenger seat. Close the windows and the heat is gone; open the windows and the heat returns. The local Ford dealer checked and said everything is working properly and they don't see a reason that there would be excessive heat on the passenger side. Our Jayco dealer also looked at it and didn't see anything abnormal.

Have any of you experienced a problem like this, and if so, what was the solution? DW won't ride in the MH while it's in this condition. Putting the windows up and turning on the AC (I like driving with the windows down), or having DW sit somewhere in the back away from the heat is not the fix that I need or want. It has to be some type of ventilation malfunction, but what?

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Floor insulation is an option. The engine creates heat and deflect the airflow under the vehicle and out the wheel wells (normal conditions and under vehicle and passenger side has the highest flow) and possible in through the windows. If the Norcold kit can deflect the flow of air over the condenser would be great. As last make a compromise as some like to drive with the windows open and some closed. Some like the use of A/C some others don't. Deflectors on the side windows might help. So in love we think about others concerns and have to sacrifice at times.
Hope you'll find a solution.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks ALJO. I just can't imagine that this is a one-in-a-million occurrence and that either Jayco or Ford doesn't have a cure. I know the insulation is an option, but I'm hoping that someone has an idea what is causing this and what to do about it.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Every vehicle will let in engine heat through the windows open. That's why Jayco and Ford says it is normal and haven't a solution. Door Window deflectors will help.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 AM   #5

I have a similar situation. The heat from the engine/exhaust radiates between the seats in the cab. When you touch the floor between the seats it is very warm, I have not brought it to a dealer for inspection but just felt it was normal engine heat. My dog likes to lay there sometimes so hopefully thats my fix is for him to absorb all that heat...
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:28 AM   #6

Love to Travel 2,
If you look under the passenger side of your coach you will see the exhaust running right under the passenger seat. Ford installs a shield above the pipe to deflect some of the heat but it still penetrates the flooring.
Also, if you run your generator I found with a Infrared Gun the temperature to be 267 degrees. That is very hot. The only solution as mentioned would be to insulate the floor. Several members on the forum have done this and may report back their findings.
I remember reading CamperBob doing this last summer. Good luck and hope you can make the wife comfortable. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #7

Thank you all for the comments! I'm still wondering why the heat on the passenger side is unbearable when the cab windows are open, but hardly noticeable when the windows are closed. I can't imagine that the excess heat from the engine and exhaust comes in through the passenger window when it's open and ends up on the passenger side floor. As Marshmellow mentioned there is heat on the floor by the dog box, and yes we have that also, but that to me is normal and not excessive. I have a difficult time understanding that this is my issue only, and no one else has experienced the same problem. First step is a new laser infrared thermometer to check the actual temperatures.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Thank you all for the comments! I'm still wondering why the heat on the passenger side is unbearable when the cab windows are open, but hardly noticeable when the windows are closed. I can't imagine that the excess heat from the engine and exhaust comes in through the passenger window when it's open and ends up on the passenger side floor. As Marshmellow mentioned there is heat on the floor by the dog box, and yes we have that also, but that to me is normal and not excessive. I have a difficult time understanding that this is my issue only, and no one else has experienced the same problem. First step is a new laser infrared thermometer to check the actual temperatures.
If I had to take a wild guess I would think when the windows are open they are drawing the heat out. As the exhaust is on the passenger side it would rise and go out the window.
Also make sure your doghouse is completely closed. A while back someone reported some wires caught in their doghouse which left a space for heat to get in.
The Infrared gun is a great investment to have in your tool box. Good luck and hope you find a solution. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Love to Travel 2,
If you look under the passenger side of your coach you will see the exhaust running right under the passenger seat. Ford installs a shield above the pipe to deflect some of the heat but it still penetrates the flooring.
Also, if you run your generator I found with a Infrared Gun the temperature to be 267 degrees. That is very hot. The only solution as mentioned would be to insulate the floor. Several members on the forum have done this and may report back their findings.
I remember reading CamperBob doing this last summer. Good luck and hope you can make the wife comfortable. Jimmyd
Yup. I installed insulation in the floor, and lined the dog house. It helped quite a bit with heat, but I'm not sure it would help with this particular issue. Ford's idea of "heat sheild" was a VERY small piece of thin reflective material placed on the floorboard sheet metal. It was a total waste of time and money, and the floorboards would get hot enough it was uncomfortable to touch them barefoot. I wonder if OP's particular case has to do with the movement of the hot air. With the windows closed, the air flow in the coach is different and less severe, allowing "billows" of hot air to congregate in places like under the seat. When you open the window, that hot air moves around and you can feel it. Maybe? Just a guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
If I had to take a wild guess I would think when the windows are open they are drawing the heat out. As the exhaust is on the passenger side it would rise and go out the window.
Also make sure your doghouse is completely closed. A while back someone reported some wires caught in their doghouse which left a space for heat to get in.
The Infrared gun is a great investment to have in your tool box. Good luck and hope you find a solution. Jimmyd
This I think was also me. There were wires hanging down from the top of the inside of the dash blocking the seal of the engine cowl and allowing engine bay heat to enter the cabin. It would get so hot right near the cup holders, I was afraid to put my phone there. I pushed them up and out of the way when I had the doghouse off, and haven't been back in there since to address the issue permanently.

I can't imagine driving one of these with the windows open being at all tolerable, but that's personal preference I guess...

FWIW, it's the noise that's on my list this year...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

This may help you with some of the heat problems.

Or at least give you some ideas as to what will help.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
OK Jayco owners, I need your help. This issue is causing a rift at the home front and I need a solution. There are two problems but I somehow think they are interrelated and they both occur when the cab windows are down. The first is the refrigerator, which warms from the mid-30 degree range to the low 60's when we travel with the windows down. Drive with the windows up and the refrigerator will maintain 35 degrees forever. Last year Norcold had the dealer install a deflector which we thought helped, but it didn't. Now Norcold is sending a "kit" which is supposed to fix the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I have the same issue with my Norcold frig. What "Kit" are they sending you and how did you get them to send it?

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
I have the same issue with my Norcold frig. What "Kit" are they sending you and how did you get them to send it?
GeorgiaRV,

I don't know just yet. According to the dealer, it's something that Norcold has to fabricate that somehow attaches near or onto the area where the flame is to keep the flame from going out due to the wind. I was told that Norcold does not stock these kits, but has to make them when this situation arises, then sends them to the dealer for installation. Once it is made and shipped to the dealer, they will call me to deliver the MH to them for the quick install. I'll let you know.

Ed