Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

2018 29xk gen not charging batt

We just picked up a new 2018 redhawk 29xk the other day. Battery was dead when went did our walk through before delivery, unit was plugged into shore power yet battery was completely dead. They replaced battery with a new one and all seemed good and took delivery. Went camping immediately and after first night started up generator to make sure batteries charged and make coffee 😁. Checked battery indicator gauge and noted was not reading to the full charge level on indicator lights as i am use to it doing on previous rv’s while gen is running and charging, after running generator for two hours shut off and coach/house battery completely dead, generator did not charge but seemed to rapidly drain battery instead, had to run truck engine to charge battery back up. Checked all breakers, fuses and connections, disconnected battery and reconnected after a few minutes. Started generator back up and battery indicator light showed only 2/3 charge while generator running, shut off generator and checked battery level again after 10 minutes or so and had gone from 2/3 charged before checking everything to now full charge. Not sure but seems like generator still not charging if indicator light does not light up all the lights to charge while generator running?
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

Update: the squeeky wheel gets greased. As we had just picked this rig up new from dealer 3 days ago with this being a pre-existing problem i called the dealers customer relations person, who in turn contact my selling dealers sales and service department managers. I insisted immediate attention and persisted and took coach into service late this morning and waited while they traced down and found lack of ground circuit to converter. Found broken ground bolt and repaired along with replaced a couple others. All seems good now 😁😎
Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Good to hear! I read your problem but didn't have a clue...electrical issues are hard to diagnose without test equipment and tracing circuits.

Sounds like your dealer came through which is always important. I like a happy ending!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

I like happy endings very much also, thanks for your concern. And a sqeeky wheel gets greased ��