Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Unhappy 2018 31fs Shower Drain pipe broken.

New 2018 31fs the second time out. I was taking a shower and step on the drain. I heard a crack. The next thing I know there is water running out from under the kitchen cabinet. I removed the shower access panel and saw the bottom of the shower drain had broken from the drain pipe.

I wt. 225 lb. I don't think that should happen.
Anyone else have that problem
myronsJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Usual around the shower drain there is no support, be inventive and create support which is removable for repair.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronsJayco View Post
New 2018 31fs the second time out. I was taking a shower and step on the drain. I heard a crack. The next thing I know there is water running out from under the kitchen cabinet. I removed the shower access panel and saw the bottom of the shower drain had broken from the drain pipe.

I have owned numerous RVs and in all but one, I have removed the access panel and reinforced the shower pan with 2X2s in strategic points...
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Our old motorhome had the big bathtub/shower in it with a awfully soft floor in it. Every time I stepped in it, It creaked and cracked like I was going to fall thru the bottom.

I had a small access to it, but there was enough room to build a cardboard wall around the bottom of the tub floor - and then used the expanding foam inside of that space to fill up the cavity between the tub and floor. It worked pretty well for many years.

If I were to do it again, I would put a trash can liner in the area, and fill the foam inside of the trash liner.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Usual around the shower drain there is no support, be inventive and create support which is removable for repair.
I am an engineer and reinforcing the floor will be no problem once the drain is fixed. Are there any other know problems that I should be fixing before they break?? Also the tank heater wire under the coach are loss and not covered. Any recommendations on how to secure them.
myronsJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
I am an engineer and reinforcing the floor will be no problem once the drain is fixed. Are there any other know problems that I should be fixing before they break?? Also the tank heater wire under the coach are loss and not covered. Any recommendations on how to secure them.
When you get around to reinforcing the floor, could you document it? I've got the same issue and probably should fix it sooner then later.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:

We had the same problem with our 30x Greyhawk. Floor of shower is soft around the drain and 2nd trip out we had water running out our outside bins on the passenger side. We opened the inspection plate and discovered that the drain pipe was broken; we took it to our local RV and it was repaired under warranty. They found that the wrong pipe and fitting had been used by Jayco at the factory and had no explanation as to why.
Quallty control is not very good as we have had a lot of issues with the quality of the original work done by the factory. We have owned the coach for 3 months (not our first RV, but 1st Jayco) and it has been in the repair shop for 2 of those 3 months.
jnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

We own a 2018 whitehawk 26RK and have water on the floor in the bathroom after a shower. We have another week of camping in the Smoky’s so until then, we will continue mopping it up with a towel. Since I can’t get on my knees due to replacements, I will have to wait to bring it in. I too would be interested myronsjayco ideas in reinforcing the drain. Does anyone else have a leaky shower?
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

A friend of mine has a 2017 Seneca and didn't notice his shower was leaking (might have been a slow leak) anyway, it's in the repair shop getting $20,000.00 worth of floor repair - thank God it's covered by his insurance.
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #10

This has happened to ours twice. Used shower maybe 8 times. Jayco knows about this issue but just doesn’t change the design. Seems it would be cheaper for them to pay for a better pipe than to pay for warranty repairs and upset customers. Dealer has been excellent but said he has seen this problem several times. Sent message directly to Jayco but so far just an auto response that they received my complaint. Makes me wonder what will break next.
JoeFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
This has happened to ours twice. Used shower maybe 8 times. Jayco knows about this issue but just doesn’t change the design. Seems it would be cheaper for them to pay for a better pipe than to pay for warranty repairs and upset customers.
It's actually not the pipe, but the way it's installed. I had the same problem as others above.

The techs cut out way too much plywood support and don't install enough blocking support. This causes the shower pan to really flex, and the fittings break. Here's what mine looked like. I cut open a bigger access hole, installed more plywood and three more support blocks, then installed a new trap and connection fittings.

I asked Jayco to send me some wall covering, so I could cover the larger access panel I had to make, after making all these repairs myself. They blew me off....
Attached Thumbnails
Drain3.jpg   Draindone3.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Did the same idea as you Retiredone, second day after bringing the trailer home. 2x4's and 1/2" plywood supports forming a 'circle' around the drain under the shower floor. Unlike how these acrylic or fiberglass showeres are installed in a residence with a bedding of thinset, that's not practical in a trailer or this would never happen.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

I did the same as RetiredOne. I disconnected that heater outlet and did it through there. But the best way is how Retiredone did it. I was going to see if I could carefully pull away the entire panel, but I think that panel is brad nailed or stapled? Not sure. I think someone could make a bit of money offering a decent shower pan for these rigs. Or then again, maybe Jayco should do it right to begin with.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #14

This thread got me thinking about drain maintenance...the kitchen and bathtub drains needed attention. So I disassembled, cleaned and added a bathtub support too, thnx! Any suggestions where to find the same gaskets?
Attached Thumbnails
B106C4AC-F4E0-449A-B815-452BD83BD9F0.jpeg   090611E9-19E4-472E-93F8-7B6BB757D2A4.jpeg   E1714CA8-1355-4CD7-8119-E94A6E603DFE.jpeg  
Old 02-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
... Any suggestions where to find the same gaskets?
Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Any hardware store. Take in the old ones and match them up. etrailer.com might have them as well.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Any hardware store. Take in the old ones and match them up. etrailer.com might have them as well.
Thnx! ...I wasn’t sure if a standard part or specific to RV.

Tags
31fs, shower drain