Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

2018.5 Seneca – S2RV Chassis Wind Noise Fix

Wind noise in a 2018.5 Seneca – S2RV chassis.

Our new Seneca had a lot of cabin noise mostly linked to wind whistling at levels so loud that it inhibited conversations. When we purchase our Seneca, I had read that there were a few things that could help like plug the mirror bracket holes. I felt a door adjustment would, and it did help a bit.

Here are my steps to resolve the issues:

1. Had the dealer plug the mirror bracket holes prior to picking the Seneca up. I later added plugs to all the mirror bracket holes.
2. Went to the local Freightliner dealer in Bryan, Tx and they adjusted the doors – they did a great job and were wonderful to work with. - Minor Improvement.
3. Went a on a trip and used tape on the outside doors to try and reduce the noise. No improvement. This is when I discovered that the source of the noise was not the doors, and since I have already covered all the door related problems, I knew there was another source that HAD to be found.

Went nuclear and did the following:
• It appeared the noise was around the dash level of the front.
• The side cowling in front of the door is fiberglass and is not a great fit – Blue arrow (Photo -Seneca 1).
• Both sides have a gap on the top as well. I ran a bead of RTV just in case – Green Arrow (Photo - Seneca 2).
• I opened the door and opened the hood and looked to see if there was light coming from the front (engine compartment) – on yes, plenty of light.
• Plenty of small air leaks and potential whistles.
o Using black RTV, I sealed all openings until there was no light seen through the door opening looking forward to the engine. One large opening at the top required a piece of insulation prior to applying the RTV – a big opening.
• The yellow arrow (Photo - Seneca 3) shows that the bottom flap of the fiberglass cowling does not have a screw to hold it, and the cowling can move in the wind. I bolted it to the bottom piece. The lower piece has an indenture formed in the fiberglass where a nut should be (this can be seen by looking in the wheel well, but no bolt or nut was in place. Secured these pieces with a small bolt and nut - you can look in the wheel well to see where to drill your hole (NO more flapping in the wind). I had noticed that the wind noise varied with wind direction and could have been the result of this piece fluttering a bit due to wind. I also put an RTV seal on the bottom of the cowling - outside. It is not possible to put it on the inside due to space.
• Used RTV around loose rubber fitting on the windshield – lower drivers and passenger’s sides.
• Used RTV around the top of the doors to cover the gaps of the original door rubber strip covering the window.
• I used RTV for the gap between the mirror top mount long gap – bracket and the actual mirror arm (Red Circle in Photo - Seneca 4). I had previously plugged and RTVed the holes – some improvement.
• Removed the antenna – capped the stud with a plastic cap. Installed a whip antenna on the mirror bracket – I hope this provides better reception.

The cab is now quiet! A BIG difference.

The issue related to my fix is that I made all the modification at one time and cannot validate which specific modification cured the problem. I feel that sealing the gaps on the front cowling (in front of the doors) was the primary fix, with each of the other gaps contributing a little to the wind noise. We just finished a 4-hour trip with an exceptionally quiet cab that allowed us to have good conversations.
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca 1.png   Seneca 2.png   Seneca 3.png   Seneca 4.png  

dramo77355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

Nice write up on the wind noise issues.
I picked up the mirror plugs at Lowe’s but they only had enough for one door. So waiting to do the rest. I’ll have a look at the other areas you mentioned, not sure whether the m2 chassis would the same lower areas as your S2RV chassis

Bruce

Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Well after plugging all of the mirror bracket holes the whistling noise is still there, maybe a slight difference but not much.
Looks like I will have to look into these other areas and sealing them off.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #4

I need to check over my cowl....can always have it quieter.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

Great write up. I have simply covered the holes in the mirrors with gorilla tape. That calmed most of my cab noise down. I still get a whistle and will look into the same places you have in my 2019 37RB

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
Nice write up on the wind noise issues.
I picked up the mirror plugs at Lowe’s but they only had enough for one door. So waiting to do the rest. I’ll have a look at the other areas you mentioned, not sure whether the m2 chassis would the same lower areas as your S2RV chassis

Bruce
Hi Bruce can you tell me specifically what the plugs are called or suppose to be used for that you got at Lowe's? Would love to pick those up but have no idea what to ask for.
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVing View Post
Hi Bruce can you tell me specifically what the plugs are called or suppose to be used for that you got at Lowe's? Would love to pick those up but have no idea what to ask for.
I got them at Lowe’s. They are made by Hillman and they are called “nylon hole plugs” I have forgotten how many of each size you need, but you need 9/16” and 3/4”. I used a small amount of silicone sealer to help hold them in.
Hope this helps

Bruce
Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #8

Thank you Bruceter

So helpful!! Have spent too much time roaming isles. Tried the earplug method but wont stay in and proved to us it did make a difference.

RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote