Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

2018 Envoy 100 - Buyer Advice Needed

Good Day All:

First time poster, long time reader.....
Thank you all for contributing to this forum. This information is EXTREEMLY helpful for inexperienced folks to gain knowledge from your wisdom.

Over the past weekend the wife an I placed a sizeable chunk of our livelihood down on a 2018 Jayco Envoy. And of course as fate would have it we were presented with another option from another dealer, just 24 hours after doing the initial paperwork.

We are still happy with our decision (and the paperwork tells us we have to be...), but I am now questioning the things I should have prior to putting ink to paper...

Does anyone else have experience (all be it over the past 3/4 months or so that these have been out) on the Envoy's? Here are some of my questions.

1. There are no slide toppers - I know we can after market these, but should we have these installed soon?
2. There is no ladder on the back - I know I can buy an extendable ladder, just an additional expense - Should we have purchased a unit with one already there?
3. No spare tire - from the treads here, looks like this a common thing now. Should we argue to obtain one.
4. That beautiful front cab-over window - Did I make a mistake and purchase two shower units?

For anyone that has purchased an Envoy, might you have advice for a freshling like me?

Thank you for your review/comments.
K
khdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

I am in the exact same boat. On our way to pick up an Envoy 100 this weekend. Hoping we didnt screw up.
gabe7924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khdlr View Post
1. There are no slide toppers - I know we can after market these, but should we have these installed soon?
2. There is no ladder on the back - I know I can buy an extendable ladder, just an additional expense - Should we have purchased a unit with one already there?
3. No spare tire - from the treads here, looks like this a common thing now. Should we argue to obtain one.
4. That beautiful front cab-over window - Did I make a mistake and purchase two shower units?

For anyone that has purchased an Envoy, might you have advice for a freshling like me?

K
0. Congrats! Welcome to the family (who've also spent a sizable chunk...)

1. Where we camp/stay, slide toppers aren't a big deal. My two cents would be to hang on and see if you think you need them. Once you solve for #2 (ladder), climb up and see what they look like before you retract

2. Meh. Get one of the retractables. I don't go up there that often.

3. Meh. Pick one side of the argument. I picked "I'm ok w/out one" side.

4. Maybe... Only time will tell. Keep an eye on things. Head up there and feel for leaks when your driving into a rain storm. Make it an annual point to go up and check the caulking.

It wouldn't bug me terribly. Our last coach came to us used as a 2008 and had no leaks in 8 years.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khdlr View Post
Good Day All:

First time poster, long time reader.....
Thank you all for contributing to this forum. This information is EXTREEMLY helpful for inexperienced folks to gain knowledge from your wisdom.

Over the past weekend the wife an I placed a sizeable chunk of our livelihood down on a 2018 Jayco Envoy. And of course as fate would have it we were presented with another option from another dealer, just 24 hours after doing the initial paperwork.

We are still happy with our decision (and the paperwork tells us we have to be...), but I am now questioning the things I should have prior to putting ink to paper...

Does anyone else have experience (all be it over the past 3/4 months or so that these have been out) on the Envoy's? Here are some of my questions.

K
Was just out at the University Phoenix RV show in Glendale, AZ and saw the 2018 Envoy. Funny thing is the inside looked just like my Grayhawk29MV. There were a few minor changes but 95% the same.

So, If you have a back slideout there will be no ladder. Class C Jayhawks don't come with spare tires. Slide toppers in most cases don't come with the Class C's unless they were installed after the dealer received it.
Cab over window? Grayhawks have a side window.

Just saying.......

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #6

Gabe7925 - any updates on your new rig? Would love to hear more about the rig and your process.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

I am set to pick up my Envoy 26 footer on Monday. Fingers are crossed for a smooth purchase and no regrets. Will keep you posted
Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #8

Thanks, I can use all the advice I can get.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

How is yours so far?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #10

I pick up on the 18th so for now I am printing all of the check lists and reading everything I can on walk through a, inspections and issues people have had at and after pickup. I will keep you posted just after pick up.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #11

All is well with my new Envoy. How are you liking yours?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Thank you for the reply, I have been traveling (unfortunately without my coach) and have had little time to spend with the new addition to the family. Hope to spend some quality time next week.

We went through the walk through, found a number of the decals were lifting, the 30amp shore power line was cut, no bunk ladder(s), no cab over privacy curtain, no lower cab curtain, and one or two minor touch ups. Some things just don't come with the RV I guess..

Nothing we cannot fix easily. We were pleasantly surprised that the RV does have a water filter under the sink (one less thing to purchase).

Now we are pricing out all of the extra things we need to start the first trip. We cannot wait to get going. I'll update next week some of the changes we are doing to the rig. First to go is the stock radio.....I would have rather had no radio than the basic 1980s radio put in there. Have them save the 50 bucks and buy me a bunk ladder,ha..
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #13

Ours came with at least the lower cab curtain. It was in one of the drawers. The bunk ladder was a bit of a bummer. we put on 500 miles and camped 2 nights. Be careful to not mix up the fresh water in with the tank flush. Its a bit confusing.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #14

Our redhawk didn't come with the ladder or top bunk curtain either. We got a standard ladder and cut the legs short to fit and it works great. It did come with the lower cab curtain but Jayco didn't attach Velcro to either the coach or the curtain.

I also swapped out the AM/FM radio for a touchscreen Bluetooth enabled one and while I was at it I changed the door speakers for better ones. It made a huge difference.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #15

Door speakers!! I knew I was forgetting something!! Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #16

Just got ours about four weeks ago. One short trip 60 miles. Big trip to New Mexico coming in two weeks no big problems on first trip: popped gfi plug and small leak on toilet but with a screwdriver it went away. More to follow
Granpamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #17

Congratulations, Granpamike, and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #18

So today I was pondering life and what happens when I blow a fuse.... Then thought about the RV.... Interesting lead in...

So on the Envoy 100 the fuse panel is at the foot of the bed. The bedroom slide moves in and touches the end of the bed. SO, you can't get to the fuse panel when the slide is retracted. So what might a person do if the fuse to the slide out is blown and the slide is in? I also cannot lift up the bed due to the plywood is locked just below a drawer handle. Here's where I blew my fuse...

Am I missing something here or did an engineer have a bad day when laying out this design???
Old 04-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #19

Just about to cross the 5k mark

Love our Envoy. Hasn't been without some break in issues - a faucet that leaked, generator wires cut, front end out of align. That said Jayco has been great and responsive. Dealer not so much. Getting warranty service is a real issue but Jayco says they will pay most any reputable dealer for warranty repairs. Haven't tested it yet but have no reason to not believe them. Jayco certainly has stepped up so far.

Took a while to learn the plumbing systems coming from a 2001 class c that had much simpler plumbing. Prefer by far the utility center, has just been a bit of an education.

All in all I would buy another Envoy without question. Not sure I'd buy from the same dealer but that said, from what I hear there's not much improvement elsewhere.
GM'sEnvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #20

We picked up our Envoy 100 29V (32') on 3/4/2017 - downsized from a 36' Grand Design 5th wheel - quite a change from the 5vr but will be able to pull our 2015 Jeep Sahara. So far we really like the rig and have had one issue - with the generator. The wire nuts in the junction box from the generator to the ATS were not fastened tightly and they came loose and melted the nuts. DH repaired this issue and we can now get power to the AC from the generator but apparently it shorted a relay somewhere and we are going to have to take it to the dealer to trouble shoot. We took out the uncomfortable sofa and replaced it with a Lamplighter reclining loveseat we bought in IN a while back. Drove home to AL from AZ and at 55 mph got 10 mpg....but were not pulling jeep. Headed out this weekend 4/7 for overnight trip a couple hours away to try the jeep Blue Ox tow bar. Remembered kitchen sink needs replacing - has no stop. Also following the Envoy, there was some water splashing from fresh water tank - need to find the drain.
Flounder67 is offline   Reply With Quote