Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

2018 Greyhawk 29ME Driver Side Slide Locks Out Until Motor Brake Disengaged

I have an issue I have not seen anyone else experience. I recently set out on a 3000 mile camping trip, and had a problem the first morning I went to bring my slides in. The first two came in fine without an issue. The last one I went to bring in, my driver's side slide, would not retract. When I pressed the retract button I heard the relays click and the lights dimmed for a second. I scratched my head for a minute thinking about how to manually bring in the slide. I then remembered the slide motor has a brake on it that can be manually disengaged by shifting a small lever under a boot on the motor. It was a little difficult to move the lever, and it felt like it was slightly jammed. Once I disengaged the motor brake, I decided to try to bring the slide in by pressing the retract button again. Thankfully, it worked without an issue. Once it was fully in, I shifted the brake lever on the motor back to the engaged position (normal position). For the remainder on my trip, I had to go through this same operation to get the slide back in after it was fully extended. Each time it worked fine. When I got home I started researching what could be causing this issue. I found I can start extending the slide, stop it before it is fully extended, and it will retract fine from any point. The slide operates completely correctly until I fully extend it to the point where it stops. If I stop it just slightly before its full travel, it can be retracted normally, without disengaging the motor brake. I was thinking the slide is extending just a little too far, and if I could adjust the stop slightly I could prevent it from getting to the point where the brake seems to jam. However, I can't locate the stop adjustment for the slide. I'm also not sure if I could be missing something else that is causing the problem. The slide looks to be aligned correctly...front and back of slide extends the same amount and is flush when it is retracted. Additionally, I've checked the relays as I thought one might be on its way out. They are all good. The motor does not seem to be struggling when it is extending or retracting the slide, so I believe the motor is fine. I don't have a good way to check the motor brake without spending hundreds of dollars for a new motor/brake, which I'd like to avoid if I can. Looking for any assistance anyone can provide! Thanks!
rdmacleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

The stop block is on the rh side of the track channel. It has set screw in it.
KoreanCowboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

The right hand side when I'm looking at the slide from inside the RV or outside of the RV? Also, how do I gain access to it? I've got a pretty good view of the rear track inside the RV, but I don't know how to get access to the forward track under the dinette bench. Thanks in advance!
rdmacleod is offline   Reply With Quote