Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

2018 Greyhawk

When leveling motorhome is it ok if front tires are not touching the ground ? Only a few inches off ground..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

I have done it many times without consequences thus far. I have not seen any prohibition in the manual. It feels weird as all get out and I don't like it if I can avoid it, but it is what it is.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

I don't like it either, but an RV tech very familiar with the system says it doesn't hurt it at all. One think I've learned that if you book your site too late you'll be the one to end up with the worst off level site.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #4

Front wheels off the ground isn’t a problem. Main thing is to never take your REAR wheels off the ground since the parking brake locks the rear wheels. Front wheels off the ground just looks weird, but will not cause any issues.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
I have done it many times without consequences thus far. I have not seen any prohibition in the manual. It feels weird as all get out and I don't like it if I can avoid it, but it is what it is.
Actually, on pages 44-47 of the manual, (section dealing with hydraulic levelers), it specifically says "Never lift the recreation vehicle completely off the ground", and later says "WHEELS MUST NEVER LEAVE THE GROUND DURING LEVELING OF THE COACH". Actually it has this same warning placard twice, once on page 46 and once on page 47.

So, no, I would not let the tires leave contact with the ground if at all possible. Especially the rear tires as they are the ones that are held by the parking brake.

That being said, it has happened to me once or twice, and to my knowledge this has not done any damage. But I would (and I do) avoid it if at all possible. I have re-positioned my rig in those situations, and I still carry a handful of leveling blocks for this.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote