Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #1

2018 Greyhawk strange problem

2018 Greyhawk 31fs bought New. Atwood 6 gallon gas & electric water heater always worked perfect till last week. Now when you turn on gas switch to water heater nothing happens, have checked all wires and mother board voltage etc. But if you leave gas switch on and turn on gas switch burner will fire up and work fine 2-3 days. Even if you turn off the electric to the water heater. Local dealer says this can not happen, I told him I am not making this up..This is not my first RV , been Rving since 1975 and never had this problem, Please help me figure this out,,,,Thanks an6 and all replies……
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

Somebody has got to know why this is happening, Please ,,,any replies will be appreciated…..
Old 06-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Somebody has got to know why this is happening, Please ,,,any replies will be appreciated…..
I saw your original post but confused with what you are saying. Perhaps a few more details would help me and others provide some thoughts. For me, I don't understand this part, " if you leave gas switch on and turn on gas switch burner will fire up and work fine 2-3 days" ~CA
Old 06-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #4

Sorry about the confusion…What I meant to say was , if you leave the gas switch turned on , then turn the electric switch for the water heater the gas burner will light up, then you can turn the electric switch off and water heater will work just fine. The water heater will turn on with the gas switch like it should for 1-2 days, then again you will have to momentarily turn on the electric switch to get the gas burner to light up. And the cycle starts over again.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #5

The problem is definitely strange. I was also confused by the wording of your original post.

This is going to take some in depth probing with a multimeter. I would start by verifying voltage(s) with the electric side turned off. Do you have any evidence of the gas side attempting to light but failing (clicking sound at the water heater)? Do you have 12 volts at the gas switch? Do you have voltage being passed through to the gas valve? Start there and report back.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #6

My thoughts,

First is that I would edit out your phone number here as that could be an issue later on and suggest to only provide it in a personal message if needed. If it is too late to edit the comment then you can ask a moderator to do so. Just my thought, maybe not a big deal.

Second thought is that it sounds as if the water heater can work and in fact does so whenever the 120v electric heat is turned on first, afterwards the gas heat will work for a while. I am very familiar with electronics but not so much with RV water heaters as I haven't had any issues with mine. With this in mind, what I would suspect could be an issue and what I would check first is with understanding that the same circuit board controls both the Electric and Gas control on the same board so you could have an issue with the control board.

What seems strange though is that it works well at times which isn't all that uncommon with a failing electronic component but in this case, what I suspect may be the issue is that you "may" have a poor connection with the connector to the circuit board and once the 120v electric portion is turned on, that heats the area around the connector a little bit. Once that occurs then the connection is again good for a while and allows the gas portion of the board to function as it should.

What I would suggest as a first step. Obtain some "contact" cleaner which most auto parts stores will have available or you could order some from amazon or similar (if I was to order some I would purchase "DeOxit"). I would then unplug the connector to the water heater control board and with a cold water heater and with it turned off, I would spray the contact cleaner on the control board connector and the cable connector that plugs into the board. I would then attach and remove the connector a few times while using the contact cleaner each time on both the board and cable connector. Then I would test again and hopefully the problem will no longer exists.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, then the next steps depends on your comfort and skill set as the voltages would need to be checked with a voltage meter and I am not sure I would suggest this to someone (not sure if that is you or not) that is not familiar with the dangers, while the 12v side is not so bad, the 120v side is and even the 12v side has a lot of voltage on the component that creates the spark so care must be taken. In any case, if you don't already have a voltage meter you may want to pick one up while at the auto parts store or amazon if you are going to make an order. I can look up and give you a suggestion from amazon if that would help. A meter is a handy tool to have for many other issues that you may encounter, again if you don't already have one.

In short, it sounds as if you have a poor connection somewhere, likely at the board connector although that is not the only possibility, just what I suspect is most likely at this point and where I would start. ~CA
Old 06-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #7

Another quick thought, if you don't have contact cleaner handy, just turn off the water heater, let it cool down (if hot) and simply unplug the connector to the control board and plug it back in a few times and see what happens.

If you are uncomfortable in knowing that the power is off, then unplug the RV from shore power first or turn off the main breaker and turn off the 12v power at the battery disconnect switch (or disconnect the battery).

~CA
Old 06-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies, keep them coming…..Also other than the motherboard what components do these two systems share ? I will check out what has been suggested…..
Old 06-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #9

I've had problems with my Atwood water heater not working on propane a few times, and it was usually after being unused for several days during rainy, wet weather.

I finally tried using my heat gun, carefully using it to warm up and dry the circuit board and electrical connections. That's fixed the problem every time.

I'm guessing that moisture getting into the electrical/electronic controls somewhere and causing the problem. You might try removing and re-seating all connectors to the control board.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, keep them coming…..Also other than the motherboard what components do these two systems share ? I will check out what has been suggested…..
Perhaps an RV water heater expert can chime in with more suggestions. I don't believe that there is any other shared component at the water heater that has both 120v and 12v other than the control board, which I am fairly confident is true, perhaps the thermostat is used for both the electric and gas, but that wouldn't be a likely culprit (imo) for the issue you are describing. ~CA
Old 06-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #11

I checked motherboard and all electrical connections all are shiny clean and dry. I was wondering if the board can work on one function and not the other. I guess anything is possible with electronics…..I hope the Atwood Genius Guru will maybe read my post about this Strange problem and tell me how to fix it….
Old 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #12

Just a thought, Could the thermostat be bad ?
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #13

How do you check out the thermostat ? I have wondered the same thing about this…
Old 06-07-2022, 05:04 AM   #14

Quote:
How do you check out the thermostat ? I have wondered the same thing about this…
I haven had to do it but here is a video from you tube on it

https://www.google.com/search?q=chec...-kvQP0suD2Ag37

it is pretty bad video but it has some instruction
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:45 AM   #15

FR, I am having what seems to be the exact same problem, ironically at the same time. You find root cause?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...arm-95961.html
Old 06-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #16

Possible One Control connections

I have had th same type of issue in my 2017 with the water heater and also the water pump. After 2 years of this every once in a while but not all the time Ihave found the culprit may be connections on the One Control unitin the basement. It seems that all electrical 12V goes through this unit then to your switches inside your unit. A loose connection there can do strange things. I have had exactly what you describe also the water pump would sometimes work then not. Ran a jumper from the batteries to the affected unit and all worked as it should. Did some wiggle tests at the One Control unit and things would work as they should. So do not forget to check these connections in your search.
The Gordens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #17

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV, also purchased new. At some point I also experienced WH issues and to make a long story short, called the customer service phone number in the WH manual supplied in the blue bag o' stuff.

The nice lady that answered asked me to go outside and read the information printed on the circuit board. Then she got my mailing address and and mailed me a new one from a different supplier. Had it in 2 days. No problem since.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #18

I have been thinking that the control board (mother board ) could be the problem.The board you replaced did they Charge you $$ for it…
Old 06-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #19

No charge for the part. Actually, they told me that they had changed suppliers and were mailing replacements to everybody who calls. (Note: Dometic now owns Atwood. Don't know if that means anything concerning a 4 year old issue.)
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #20

Thanks for your reply,,I will call them on Monday,,asking is Free……..