Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #1

Lightbulb 2018 Jayco 22J RedHawk stabilizer Jacks.

Hi all,
I recently posted regarding our stabilizer Jack’s getting stuck down when trying to use them. I received a lot of help here and wanted to say thanks however I haven’t a clue where I posted.
So, we were at a campsite and went to stabilize our Class C when the system board shutdown completely. The front two jacks only. This was tricky as it was the start of the long weekend in august and impossible to get any help. So I googled, I read, I Utubed, I posted, I called etc etc. No help. Then ran into four camping mechanics and they got the jacks back up until I could get them fixed.

What was tried:
1. Ground wire intact and dirt free on tight. Not an issue. Always check this first. It’s located under the RV in the Center. Go underneath by the retractable stairs and in the Center you will see a reservoir, white plastic holding a quantity of hydraulic fluid. Then you will see two cylinders. Along the vehicle rail you will see a black thick wire…the ground wire, ensure it’s on tight. (Hex keys needed, screwdriver and vice grips.)
2. Go to the cylinders, shown on Lippert site or in manual for RV. Back them off as shown. Should release the pressure allowing the jacks to go up. This didn’t work so we tried to jump start the panel via the Hydraulic Jack. It tried to turn on indicating it wasn’t the Cylinoid (spelling.). So we released the hydraulics from the individual jacks and manually pushed them up with a crowbar braced over a log. Once up we were good to go. Then started the RV moved about an inch or two and poof, the panel came on but couldn’t reset it.
3. Check all fuses… again under the RV in the cover around the Hydraulic motor there is a bunch of wires toggled together. Among them is a fuse with a small rubber cover over it. Mine was blown…easy to replace, hard to find. Inside the pull out battery tray in behind the battery are two fuses located on the back left about 1.5 inches apart. Easy to get to if you pull out the battery on the tray (slides out), get down underneath the RV and you can access them easy. Both mine were good.
4. After testing the current flow the wires, both sets running from the hydraulic motor on the left and right showed that both sets were allowing electricity to flow, which is wrong, only one side at a time. This meant the main control box, the nickname brain box had something stuck open and wasn’t making up its mind which to lower or raise up. The brain box is located in the outside electrical box where you feed out your electrical cord for the RV. You reach in to the back of the storage bin and put your hand up in behind the plate mounted. That had to be replaced. Part ordered and awaiting its arrival prolly in time for next years camping. In the mean time jacks are up and we are going back across Canada to home.

Note: After leaving the campground a loud beeping from the panel came on and flashing red lights etc. This stayed with us until I opened the panel on the cupboard on the left above the steps into the RV and unplugged the panel motherboard.

So that’s what happened. Now I think I’ll get my wiring/Mechanical papers…Lin
Lin lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #2

Great write up. Thank you! Sorry you had that "bump" in your recent camping experience!