Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #1

2018 Melbourne Squeaky door

This was our first season with our 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K and we love it. Biggest surprise with Motorhome (always a travel trailer owner) was how noisy the coach door is while driving. It is very squeaky. Is this normal or should I pursue this as a problem?
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Unless I am mistaken on the source, I cant hear any noise from the door over the noise from the microwave. lol I have silenced the microwave several times and I do get an occasional wind noise (more of a howl) from the door when there is a cross wind but I don't think I ever get any squeaking noises.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

I don't have a squeak from t by e door but do get a lot of road noise. I intend to put some spray foam around the frame to fill the very large gap (approx 3/4") to see if that helps.
As PF mentioned, I do get some squeaking around the microwave...I believe it's the cabinets rubbing as the coach flexes... and I can't come up with a solution.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
This was our first season with our 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K and we love it. Biggest surprise with Motorhome (always a travel trailer owner) was how noisy the coach door is while driving. It is very squeaky. Is this normal or should I pursue this as a problem?

The squeak can be coming from the rubber seal on the door. Try lubing it and see if it disappears. Wind noise from the door is normal, but it shouldn’t squeak.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

door squeak

I have the same squeak from the door. While pushing on it from the outside I could feel some play in the door at the latch. loosened 2 latch screws on frame and gave it a couple whacks toward the inside with a flat punch, retightened screws and so far no more squeak.
russ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

I had the same problem on my 2018. Sounded like I had a bird loose in the back of the RV. I keep the seal lubed with vaseline and the noise is gone. Initially tried light oils like WD40 but they never lasted more than one trip.
Firedog908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

@gprap and @firedog...thanks for the suggestion, I will be trying this on Thanksgiving! @russ10 thanks I might try this if the seal lub doesn't help. Our microwave use to make a constant banging noise until we realized it was the outside vent for the microwave/convection oven. There were plastic latches on the outside vent that we can lock the vent door closed while driving and it stopped the microwave noise. The microwave is now silent...or at least it can't be heard of over the door noise. And year the door sounds like a dozen birds.

Thanks for suggestions
/Z/
Old 11-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

We put weather strip around the door, and it took the squeak away immediately. We're actually amazed at how quiet our Melbourne is. The only time it's loud is when the wind is howling at 25+ mph. Ours will have it's 2 l/2-year-old birthday on Nov. 18th - 33,000 miles and counting. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

@koko boy I so wonder what it would be like to drive in it without the door noise! We just got back from a weekend trip dry camping at a football game. RVs were stuck in mud everywhere! It was super muddy Friday, then freezing, then snowed, and unbelievably windy. 10x10 canopies where getting mangled, flying through the air, smashing against cars. RV canopies we're being torn right off motorhomes...luckily we rolled our in. We used our generator and turned on tank heater...at midnight it was quiet hours so turned off generator but forgot to turn off tank heaters. 3am woke up frozen because tank heaters depleted battery so furnace could run fan and shut itself off. Luckily had an indoor portable propane heater so I stayed up while it heated up the RV. 6am ended quiet hours so fired up generator to recharge battery. Then realized the fridge broke! Blinking red about 3 or 4 times every 5 seconds...which is code that electronics went bad! We emptied our fridge and put all food outside...good it was super cold out this weekend! Came home after 3 hrs of bird chirps, and cleaned all the mud up. Anyway, it was a real crazy weekend and my wife handled it great! She is ready to go again! This one will go down in our story book and we are already laughing (except for fridge issue).
Old 11-12-2018, 01:13 AM   #10

Quote:
I see after two years, they still can't fix the dang door. Mine squeaks, rattles and rolls. Tried the foam, tried the lube, etc. At one point I was told the lock had to be reset/readjusted or something. Who knows, I just learned to live with it and yes everything is loud. My one "could be worse" moment was when we first left the dealership it was making all kinds of noise and I was like "well, I guess this is motor home ownership" until about 60 miles down the road at a rest-stop I noticed the small window above my head in the bunk was open. I shut it and life got a little sweeter. Still noisy but nothing like that racket. Oh well, let us know if you find a remedy and enjoy those days when the wind is at your back..

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
We put weather strip around the door, and it took the squeak away immediately. We're actually amazed at how quiet our Melbourne is. The only time it's loud is when the wind is howling at 25+ mph. Ours will have it's 2 l/2-year-old birthday on Nov. 18th - 33,000 miles and counting. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
I guess you have the quietest Melbourne as well as the most fuel efficient Melbourne....sorry 2:00AM in the morning....getting delirious, time for bed.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 11-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #12

Quote:
..............This one will go down in our story book and we are already laughing (except for fridge issue).
These are the stories that you will never forget and turn into your favorites as the years go by....now don't get my wrong, I still prefer those easy breezy times but good thing you already realize the humility in it all..

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 11-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

When you can laugh about an adventure like that and still want to go out, it's in your blood. I guess in our case, it's all about what we experience vs. what we expect!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote