Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

2018 redhawk 26xd

O, K. Please tell me What's the difference between country fill and city fill?
When primitive I guess I should be on normal setting I suppose to use pump. I just read where I should always be on normal other than when filling tank. So if at rv park hooked to city water should I set them on Normal? No pump being used? I'm confused.
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

We don't have the country/city fill feature on our little TT, but you're right. when hooked to city water hose hookup, there's no pump needed. The pump only draws water from your fresh water tank. Someone else will pop in with the answer for the country/city fill part of your question.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

when on city water at an RV park, put it on city fill. water pressure means you dont need the pump. when off city water or any water supply, put it on normal. when on normal, turn on the water pump. country fill, i think means filling from a river or lake. Not used very often.
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Selecting country fill will allow your water pump to provide suction at the inlet. Set to country fill and place the hose in your portable potable water container to draw water into the RV water tank.

If it doesn't draw the water in you'll have to remove the screen/check valve at the RVs water inlet. This check valve may have too much resistance to flow to allow you to fill the tank this way.

If you're hooked up to the parks water supply, set the valves to the city fixture setting.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #5

Got it guys, I played with it this afternoon after work
City fill the water pressure is enough to open check valve I guess
Country fill would be from gravity feed like water can is not enough pressure to open check valve so by reversing the filter screen it puts pressure on the ck valve and you can pour water in.
Thanks for the input
Also drained my hot water tank it had a high sulfur smell this weekend wasn't to good in the shower stunk up the camper
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #6

When you add water to your RV tank using country fill, turn the water pump on after you've placed your hose into your water source. You're not using gravity as such to fill your RV tank. You're using the on board water pump only you're drawing water into the tank. Sometimes you have to turn the check valve around because the water pump can't overcome the check valve's spring loaded resistance to water flow.

After each trip, you need to drain the water heater or you'll eventually be blessed with this sulfuric aroma. You can usually drain it by opening low point valves and the pressure relief valve on the water heater.